Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-20-2002, 09:47 AM   #151
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: ''Helmet or Thick Skull'' Reader Feedback

You are absolutely right- these are some really compelling reasons for wearing proper equipment. I always do, even when it is hot out.

and...

Seeing people riding in half helmets, beanies, shorts, vests and t-shirts just makes me cringe. I have fallen off and my helmet and leather jacket are probably why I am still riding. I didn't waste an EMT's time with my cracked skull or ground off arm, because I didn't have one. I even picked up my bike and pushed it to the side of the road, cursing a combination of railroad tracks, oil, and my own stupidity. You have to be coherent to do that.

but...

I still have a hard time telling other people to make the same choices I make. My mother would rather that I drove a car, but a small car would be fine with her. That is more dangerous in an accident than driving a gigantic SUV. A Peterbuilt dump truck would be safer yet in an accident, but I don't hear anyone saying that we should all drive those. Helmets, like motorcycles themselves, should be a choice.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2002, 09:49 AM   #152
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: John Burns: an exercise in contradiction

Go Johnny GO!
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:51 AM   #153
shineon2000
Founding Member

Default Re: Regulations are good for you

So the US government should not lock up corporate criminals and drugs that cause birth defects should be marketed w/o restrictions and tobacco and hygene in meat processing plants is an unreal imposition on business activity. The question is at what point does your "freedom" to ride helmetless take away my freedom to spend my money on an abortion rather than on maintaining you in a vegetative state?
shineon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:52 AM   #154
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: This is such a joke.

The question on who gets treatment is very important and needs to be answered. If you walk into Walmart, or any other store you have to be prepared to pay for whatever you buy. I'd love to be able to walk into my Harley dealer and ride away on a RoadKing and have someone else pay, but it doesn't work that way. Why should an emergency room be any different ?
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:59 AM   #155
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: This is such a joke.

If you really want to have fun, tell these fascisti that they are all wet even over their belief that the State should be providing health care at all. If the State wasn't neck deep interfering in health care and itself causing the skyrocketting costs they wouldn't need to worry about their extortion, er I mean taxes paying for it. But then the thought of taking responsibility for yourself is now anathema for too many Americans. It's more convenient to demand that your neighbors pay for your own irresponsibility and stupidity.

Heck it's become the best excuse around to interfere in everyone else's lives.

Old 08-20-2002, 10:02 AM   #156
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Nothing to do with helmets

Cause for Allstate loses:
[*]California theft rate for motorcycles is high
[*]California legitation costs highest in the nation[*]

If California did not have a helmet law perhaps the loses would be 320% vs. 160.5%

As for the sport bike thing. They aren't surcharging sport bikes that just stupid or outdated business sense. Every other company charges higher for sport bikes. It's no big deal.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:04 AM   #157
KPaulCook
Banned

LOL.

Old 08-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #158
seruzawa
The Toad

Funny, I thought that most of the Senate and Representative Seats were now both permanent and hereditary.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:09 AM   #159
Anubis
Founding Member

Default Re: Regulations are good for you

It is?? It hasn't been for a long time.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:12 AM   #160
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Burns buying time for bike shootouts?

Hey I was thinking the same thing. Could be Burns is buying time while they process all the data, photos and video from all those shootouts they promised like:

Bulldog vs. Buell Firebolt

Bulldog vs. Ducati 999

Bulldog vs ElFaco's SV650