Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-20-2002, 08:55 AM   #131
Poser
Founding Member

Default But I don't agree with KPaul

What does age have to do with it? Sometimes I get classified in the baby boom, sometimes not. I have more helmets than I can count, but I don't want to force anyone else to wear one. Skiing with my son, I prefer to lead by example and wear a helmet. Putting on a helmet is a very natural thing for me and now for him. That is good. I still oppose rules that attempt to protect us from ourselves.

A law requiring that we behave a certain safe way is just as dumb as a law requiring that you eat a certain amount of tofu because it is good for you. Besides, you forgot the armored leather pants.

If you think about the economics of it, you will also see falicy in your argument. A dead rider has very few medical bills. An injured biker, if he doesn't have insurance, costs a lot more. A helmetless rider is less likely to survive, and will therefore likely cost less than the helmeted rider in the same accident at any given speed. This assumes that the rider in the accident is completely irresponsible and carries no medical insurance of any kind. If he does carry insurance, then insurance covers it and it doesn't hit the government's pocket at all. There are so few riders among the general population, let alone dummies that don't wear helmets, that a few injured idiots won't affect your insurance rates that much.

If your argument about social costs had validity, then it could easily be extended to banning motorcycles altogether. While we are at it, let's ban any other behavior that the great unwashed consider dangerous. If it is fun, ban it lest YOU get injured and cost ME money!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2002, 08:56 AM   #132
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: ''Helmet or Thick Skull'' Reader Feedback

I gotta problem with your "my way is better than yours" preachy attitude. Any idiot knows that doing what I like overrides doing what YOU think I should like. You don't like beanie helmets and I don't like you riding at all. Get it?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:00 AM   #133
Bluestring
Founding Member

That's it Burns! Flush the damn Paxil! Let it all fly. Let's see the little man burn again.
Bluestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:00 AM   #134
Poser
Founding Member

Gee- I never thought about it that way. The helmet hides my bald spot. Armored leather hides other age problems. Chicks dig old posers on sportbikes more if they can't really tell that they are old posers...
Old 08-20-2002, 09:09 AM   #135
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: This is such a joke.

Actually motorcycles themselves don't make sense to me. They are certainly more dangerous than autos no matter WHAT gear you wear. No argument on that. Explain to me why motorcycles exist on the public streets at all, and I can then rationalize with you why helmets are not needed. It's funny how some people can easily rationalize one risky behavior, and then go on to trash another risky one using the same "facts" that drown their own behavior.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:11 AM   #136
Poser
Founding Member

I don't get it. Just because you wear a helmet, you think they should be manditory? I wear a full face helmet, and always will, but don't think it should be required of everyone. If you carry a gun to protect yourself from criminals, should I be required to carry one, too? Think about it...
Old 08-20-2002, 09:11 AM   #137
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Medical costs of a helmetless riders are higher not lower

Wrong pal. Go visit with an ER doctor about the medical costs of rider who doesn't wear a helmet. If the rider dies you are right but if they don't die the medical costs are ten times higher for dorks who don't wear helmets.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:21 AM   #138
boru4761
Registered Member

This is all just a distraction from the new bike testing that is going on. When are we going to hear about the 2003s?
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:21 AM   #139
vcs700s
Founding Member

In my original post I was quoting what I was told by the MSF instructors. I was relating that to John. I did say that a full face helmet provides better protection than a beanie helmet. Obviously that is true. Personally, I don't care what you wear or don't wear. I don't have anything against beanie helmets, I just wouldn't wear one. For me it defeats the purpose of wearing a helmet. If you wear one simply to not get a ticket- great, but I wear one to protect my head, face, and brain. Why don't you like me riding? You don't even know me! I'm glad you ride, I just don't like your bad ass attitude!! Is that clear? GET IT?
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:21 AM   #140
KPaulCook
Banned

Longride makes me proud. Although he is totally wrong on this issue.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote