Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-20-2002, 05:30 AM   #101
danch
Founding Member

Default Re: ''Helmet or Thick Skull'' Reader Feedback

I know! when people crash out, we sell their organs to pay the hospital bills! Two birds, one stone
danch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2002, 05:39 AM   #102
dwr461
Founding Member

I am so going to do that when I get home. I have not read all the posts yet... but yours is the best so far.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:39 AM   #103
twister299
Founding Member

Default Re: For once I agree with Lord Burns.

Paying Hospital bills is the lamest reason I have ever heard for mandating helmets.

Protecting one from flying objects on the highway makes much more sense. Since an 600-800 lb. unguided missile traveling at 65 MPH can do much more damage than a Vegetative Dork laying in a hospital bed.

twister299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:59 AM   #104
danch
Founding Member

And how is whining about helment laws going to help this?

The attitude of the general public is a real problem. Helment laws are red herrings.
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:03 AM   #105
bharriet
Founding Member

Wearing a helmet is a safety issue, and should not be confused with a civil rights issue. It is just plain stupid not to wear a helmet and full proctive gear. There was a study done in Germany that showed that 45% of the impacts happen on the left and right cheek area. So wear a full face helmet thats is not only DOT approved but also has a Snell approval. Any of this helmets will have a shield that meets VESC 8 standards for eye protection.

My wife and I check out every motorcycle rider we see to see if they are properly dress for the "FALL", in general the sport bike riders dress better while most of the cruiser types do not dress properly. I have a Harley and a F4i and my wife has just ordered her Harley. We ALWAYS ride with Full face helmets and proper gear. We feel that we are ambassadors for the sport and are trying to change the image of the Harley rider (stock pipes only, no loud pipes saves lifes, because we want our neighbors to like us).

"Born to be Wild" has always beem my theme song, but when I see a Pepsi commercial showing a yuppie riding a motorcycle with out a "HELMET" along side Peter Fonda it just makes me mad as hell. Lets let Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper have there place in history, but move on this is 2002, have a full face helmet on everytime you put a leg over your bike.

bharriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:21 AM   #106
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Regulations are good for you

Spoken like a true Euro.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:22 AM   #107
mconlon
Founding Member

Actually, one of the best parts about the tough guys/gals riding without helmets is when they do it and its less than 50 degF or raining or when they get the ol' wasp up the nose... never fails to make me laugh. Unhelmeted riders laying in their own pool of blood make me incredibly angry and sad.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:23 AM   #108
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I disagree:

Representatives, Senators and the president take an oath to uphold the constitution upon entering office. To propose a law that is unconstitutional is to ignore their sworn oath. Take the campaign finance bill: many in both the house and the senate admitted that this bill was unconstitutional, yet they were going to vote for it anyway. Though nobody cares anymore, this is an impeachable offense to the constituiton.

The idea is that the house and senate have competent individuals who have both their constituents' will and the constitution clearly in mind. When push comes to shove, however, the constitution should trump everything else----save for the case of a constitutional amendment. They are not supposed to pass every bill under the sun and let the supreme court sort everything out.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:29 AM   #109
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Bunch of Liberal double talk

It is my experience that the only people who claim that it is so vaugely written say so because they don't like what it says. If you want to know exactly what it means, and also what it [i]doesn't[i] mean, read the federalist papers. One has to deny the plainly obivious to declare that the constitution is "open to wildly varying interpretation". I suppose it is open to interpretation, but whether those interpretations are valid is another story entirely.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:32 AM   #110
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

It can be interpreted by any marginally competent literate individual. It is only the supreme court of the last 50 years, and countless other lawyers and politicians, that make it sound complicated. Go read it----it's not that tough. The framers said themselves that a document so complicated that the meaning is out of reach of the normal citizen would be useless.