Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-17-2002, 02:13 PM   #21
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: Modified SV650 Reader Feedback

Why go with Fox when you can buy an Ohlins from Wim Kroon in Holland for about $563. Check out the link below.

http://www.ohlins.nl/shop/browse.asp...&CurrentPage=3

rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2002, 02:14 PM   #22
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: SV-650 Mods

I have the Race Tech emulators and springs ready to install. This article has me giddy about how much better it's going to be.

A few things though:

1. I would not waste my money on a jet kit. Just as good results can be had with inexpensive jets available (get standard Mikuni jets). See SVRider.com for more info. This has been compared out with a dyno. The jet kits work, but just buying the $6 Mikuni jets in a larger size works just as well.

Regardless of your configuration, you need to shim your carb needles. 1 shim for stock exhausts and 2 shims for aftermarket exhausts (both full and slip-ons). This greatly enhances the low end power and throttle response, and eliminates the 5-6K hole.

2. I can highly recommend the Holeshot slip-on muffler. It sounds oh so beautiful, and gets good power and throttle response. They offer a high mount and a regular mount version. Dale Walker messed around with tuning for it on his Dyno and found that 2 shims on the needles and adjusting the mixture screws was the best combo anyway and rejetting was not necessary. He also found the stock air filter worked better than aftermarket ones. You can get another HP or two by buying a full exhaust system, but is it really worth twice the cost?

Hear it here (video of an SV on a twisty road, this is cool):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/burn_cycle/mpg/211.mpg

3. Don't do the snorkelectomy unless you have a full aftermarket exhaust, and you will need to rejet again for it or it will run too lean in desnorkeled condition. This mod will degrade the performance of bikes with stock exhausts or slip-ons.

4. I want to get the DP HH+ brake pads for the front. Motorcyclist did an SV650 hop up a while back and said these pads worked very well on the SV.

5. People I've heard from have preferred the Penske over the Ohlins in the really high $$$ shock market.

6. For a really cheap shock improvement you can get a GSX-R600 shock from a wrecked one (check eBay) which bolts right up to an SV. You will have to respring it though. This is the cheapest way to get a better shock if you can't afford the Fox shock. Also see SVRider.com for more info.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:19 PM   #23
r1biohzd
Registered Member

last time i checked i couldnt find anyone (including wim kroon) to export to U.S.

i had to buy in US
r1biohzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:52 PM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

Great article. We are going to miss your writing when you go back to school. My wife is starting to get serious about a bike. Last time she was in a bike shop with me she went right up to the SV650S. (I tried to hide my approval) I started her on a diet of brochures and web sites like http://www.sv650.org/

and http://www.svrider.com/. These sites also have some great info on modifications The bike is a little small for me but I love the looks of the S model and it fits my wife like a glove.

Thanks again for the excellent article.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 04:13 PM   #25
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

BT010's are very good tires for the SV (I have them on mine as well) but if they're not the best for you, so be it. One size does not fit all.

Everyone seems to think the Metzeler Sportec M1's are the sh!t for the SV (and about every other sportbike), that might be The Tire at this point in time.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #26
justaspeedfreak
Founding Member

Default Re: what took so long? and shock spring rate

My thoughts exactly. I guess the stock sv is that good off the shelf... NOT! I rode my stock SV at a local track and almost wound up grey. The front wanted to walk out on rough turns and the back was doing the best pogo stick impression I've seen in a while. Racetech and Penske for 2nd track day...
justaspeedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #27
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

This is what we call a "snorkelectomy". Don't do it unless you have a full aftermarket exhaust, and even then you will need to rejet again for it or it will run too lean in desnorkeled condition.

This mod will degrade the performance of bikes with stock exhausts or slip-ons, not improve it.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:01 AM   #28
ZR-7
Founding Member

WTF?

"He was banned for the rest of the day, and Fastrack is even helping me track him down for an insurance claim on my pipe."

Insurance claim? I don't think any insurance company covers racing crash damage. Make sure you tell them it was during a high speed race...

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:12 AM   #29
justaspeedfreak
Founding Member

He was at a track day, not a race. These are considered instructional and designed to improve riding skills. Doubtful the other guys insurance will do anything, no one was at fault, no traffic lawas were broken. El flaco can go to his insurance company for a $400 claim if he wants... (not wise)
justaspeedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 10:45 AM   #30
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

For racers (you know those of us who have a FULL system so we can do our snorkelectomys)If you can work out a special deal (cost +10%)with your local dealer, in exchange for a sponsor listing / decals, you can get them for about $530