Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-16-2002, 10:32 PM   #11
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: SV-650 Mods

I'm thinking of trading in my Ducati M750 for an SV-650 straight up, if I can convince the finance company and dealer to swap me. What are the maintenance schedlues on an SV?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2002, 01:04 AM   #12
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Modified SV650 Reader Feedback

Nah.. I bet he just never lubes it
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 04:08 AM   #13
pattonme
Founding Member

Default what took so long? and shock spring rate

Glad you got a much better bike out of the deal but what took so long to do it? Ever since doing the GV mod to my CB750 I've made sure to redo both ends of the suspension within the first couple of months at most.

I realize a Fox etc. shock costs a bit of $$$ but for those who are cheap, consider replacing the stock spring with a unit that is actually rated for your weight. The japanese companies apparently think we're all 145lbs. If to get proper rider sag you're past the 3rd adjustment position on the collar get a stiffer spring. It's a quick $100 and makes a huge difference.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:55 AM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

15~20k is about par for the course in the Seattle area, riding in the rain and muck really seems shortens chain life, interestingly enough tires last alot longer because it's only hot (80's +) for a month or two a year, I have 18k on a set of macadam 90's and they still have some tread left, not much left on the sides though,
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:05 AM   #15
obandoj
Founding Member

Crappy BT010's? you are nuts! They are some of the best tires my friends and I have ever used on the street. Over 100 years worth of experience between 4 very fast guys! Get a clue!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 11:33 AM   #16
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Inspect Valve clearance every 15,000 miles

Replace spark plugs every 7,500 miles

Oil & Filter at 600

Oil every 3,500

Oil Filter every other change

Inspect fastner (nut and bolt) tightness at oil change intervals. (common sense)

Nothing out of the ordinary in the maintenance schedule... all of it easily done at home.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:35 AM   #17
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

P.S. mine gets oil and filter about every 1,500 miles, but it sees a lot of race duty.

Additional note* Mine doesn't seem to like Mobil One 4T Motorcycle oil, it seems to miss shifts under race conditions. I've switched to Pro Honda HP-4 and the shifting has improved.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:29 PM   #18
painter_1
Founding Member

Thought you SV riders might find this interesting. The #1 plate in WMRRA {Washington State} for 2002 was Allen Shwinn. He raced two SV650's. One was supersport spec. the other was superbike. The modified SV made 90 HP. I watched him repeatedly beat every twin In the club {748, TL1000, RC51}etc. The supersport SV was amazing to. www.sbmotorsports.com. can give you more info. on how the bike's were set up.
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:41 PM   #19
s0crates82
Founding Member

el flaco is spanish for "the skinny one"

just struck me as ironic somehow, with regard to your posts.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:46 PM   #20
RobM
Founding Member

All i can tell you is what I have experienced. If i find that they don't work for my style, what i am i gonna do? Not going to stay with them when I know that the D207s please me more, am I? Remember Simon Crafar and his switch to Michelins? (Not that I am anything like as good as him)

What I mentioned with the stoppy is not the only prob, in case you were wondering. The dunlops just seemed more progressive in the let-go (wider envelope) but with just as much grip (if not more) right to the edge, and a better wear life, for me who does a trackday about every two months, and does not own any other vehicle.

You say the BT010s are "some of the best" street tyres. Could you recommend any others, for someone a willing to experiment, but with long arms and shallow pockets?
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote