Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-13-2002, 04:00 PM   #1
RobM
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Suzuka Reader Feedback

Cool story. I had not previously put it into the same basket as the IoM, but now... Must think twice about priorities for future holidays...

On another point entirely, huccome when 'mericans use words that they aren't accustomed to, like say "kilometres", they insist on misspelling them? Actually, more than just those tricky metric words, but things like "Chequered", and its cousin, "cheque". Or as you folks would have it, "check". And since when is the "invoice for food" called by the same name as the "debit my account for this much" slip of paper, from your cheque/check-book?!? What is with that? [/rant]
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2002, 04:03 PM   #2
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default Please God, Let the USA have a Gas Crunch

It will kill off the SUVS, and then we can have as many 2 wheeled vehicles as they do there in Japan. Please!

Hurry!

Hoo! That was a fun article.

First Post!

(1990 BMW K1 ---YAR!!)
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #3
westland
Founding Member

Different sides of the pond. I've lived in Hong Kong for eight years now and find myself confusing the British and English spellings and words (though typically not Ozzie words, which I understand are often derived from an East End ****ney (oxymoron?) ... though I could be mistaken). A lot of the Brit spellings are ones we used in the US back in the 1950s. But the general influence of newspapers has been to update, abbreviate and simplify the language.
westland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:12 PM   #4
westland
Founding Member

Great to see this description of Suzuka. I just returned from the Sugo track (near Sendai) last week attending Yamaha's TZ school (Sugo is Yamaha's turf, as Suzuka is Honda's). I heard a lot about Suzuka, and we are trying to get someone to do a similar school there.

The Yamaha school was great ... we had immaculate TZ125's for two days (R6's and XJR1300s, but everyone wanted the TZ125s). The track is immaculate, and like Suzuka, has a whole resort attached to it, with karting, motocross, country trails, etc. etc.
westland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 05:54 PM   #5
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Please God, Let the USA have a Gas Crunch

IDIOT!
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:27 PM   #6
CanuckBusa
Founding Member

hawkrider. i would be interested to see you justify that comment with some kind of logic. please offer a thread of reasoning which i may follow...
CanuckBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:44 PM   #7
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Fantastic article

Great article! Thanks. Mathew made me feel like I was there. Edwards is such a stand up guy. I'm sure he could of pulled a Rossi but he knows what kind of value Honda places on this race. He makes me proud to be an Merican!
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 07:51 PM   #8
RobM
Founding Member

I rekn HawkRider be talking about that "First Post" thing.

There exists at least one website that censors those two words when found together, changes them into something that reflects poorly on the writer, but then (and here's the smart bit) back dates the post by 12 hours, so that it doesn't show up until that time. (fark.com, for instance).

Sorta slows that particular brand of one-upmanship.
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 01:21 AM   #9
doc929
Founding Member

Being a stickler, there is no such thing as a "Mach Z1" or a 1984 GPZ1100. The Mach terminology was applied to the Kawasaki two strokes, Z1 to the original 900 four stroke. 1983 was the last year for the GPZ1100. In 1984 the 900 Ninja was introduced.
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 01:34 AM   #10
doc929
Founding Member

Having made the comments about the Mach and GPZ, I did enjoy the article.
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote