Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-12-2002, 04:03 AM   #61
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: No, THIS is BMW's latest creatURE...

Why can't the BMW motorcycle division borrow the guy who designed the Z3 when they decide to do something retro? At least the car-side stylists do it right or they don't bother.

Given the price it has GOT to have (based on other R1200C's) I can't figure out who's going to buy this one. Hardcore Iron Butt types will still buy GL1800's and K1200LT's because of their unsurpassed competence for eating continents at a time. And as for those who prefer classic/retro styling rather than a host of features to assist the long-haul tourist, the R1200CL is certain to infringe on the lofty price territory of H-D baggers that at least do retro right even if you don't get a reverse.

To buy one of those things you'd have to be a die-hard beemerphile wanting a full-dress factory bagger, who will only accept a boxer and doesn't consider a dual-sport quite plush enough. I guess BMW has figured out how many of those there are.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2002, 04:41 AM   #62
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda vs. BMW. The case for Honda.

It's not uncommon to see Beemers w/ very high miles, 100k+, which lends credibility to BMW's quality reputation. Not that the rep is undeserved, but I don't believe the margin is that great (if it exists) over the Big 4.

*reason for extra-high-mileage beemers*

-They don't regularly get wadded racing F3's.

-Easy to freshen the "top end" on an airhead

-They hold their value so it's worth it to keep 'em going.

-typically touring machines bought for the purpose of high miles.

I know a guy who had 95k on an old SOHC CB750. It was starting to smoke and clank, so he went ahead and re-did the top end. The motor had to come out and it was fairly expensive and afterwards the bike was still only worth $1500 (at best). He just liked it so much it was worth it to him.

I've heard of several XS1100's and FJ1200's going well over 100k on all original motors, so the Jap bikes can definitely do it.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:43 AM   #63
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS Reader Feedback

There are a number of reasons that I wouldn't buy this bike. High cost, low power, ascetics...

But I can appreciate whey people would. It has an upright seating position, light weight, unique design, reliable, snob appeal...

There is certainly higher performing and lower cost motorcycles available, but they don't have that blue and white propeller on the tank.

I thought about buying the Funduro a couple of years ago and even thought about the F650GS a year ago.

In the end, the bike doesn't float my boat or meet my needs.

I will say this though...

The fact that Rotax builds the motor and Aprilia built the Funduro gave me confidence to buy my Aprilia Falco.

My last bike was a BMW. I loved it for 18,000 miles and enjoyed being a part the BMW community.

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 05:25 AM   #64
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default my opinion ....

i wouldn't know whether to ride it or to #@$!% it.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:57 AM   #65
12er
Founding Member

When you find the time stop on by the local dealer and take a few out for a demo ride. Well since BMW will let you do that. I own a BMW but still go back for demo rides just because its fun to be able to ride new and different machines for free. Thats how most BMW's find new owners, on demo rides. Too bad the big 4 dont understand the significance.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:06 AM   #66
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: BMW Colors

Ness really designs some freakish looking stuff doesn't he? But his work is mainly custom show stuff. While making a motorcycle that looks like a Star Trek shuttlecraft may be cool at the show, they are generally completely unsuitable for streetriding.

I wish someone would explain that to the manufacturers with their idiotic passion for forward foot controls on the cruisers. My old Superglide had highway pegs, but the controls were on normal pegs under the seat, where God intended.

We'll be in real deep trouble if the custom bike designers decide to build rear-wheel steering showbikes.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:49 AM   #67
wavyd
Registered Member

This F 650 looks like a very stylish supermotard to me. It is priced about the same as other motards but lacks the good power to weight ratio needed to really be allowed in the class. On the other side of the argument, it will deffinately be more durable than the Duke or the MuZ.

But for that kind of money I'll take my FZ 1 thank you.
wavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:06 AM   #68
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: nobody's trashed the EFI?

Right. But a couple weeks ago I rode a 2002 CS and a 1150R. They both sucked so bad it was crazy.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:42 AM   #69
intruderman
Founding Member

I got to test ride one of these this past June. Immediately afterwards, I got to test ride a V-Max. I can't even remember one thing about the CS ride! I wonder why.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:54 AM   #70
S4_Daddio
Founding Member

Default Re: Not that I mind but...

I second that emotion....
S4_Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote