Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-11-2002, 02:50 PM   #51
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda vs. BMW. The case for Honda.

I guess I am a big fan of Japanese bikes. My Ninja is 9 months old and I have 7000 miles on it and no problems (zero defects). So I guess I can say it has been durable. My brother-in-law has Hondas with over 60,000 miles on them. So I guess I question the view that BMW is more durable than a Honda. My next bike will be an Honda, namely an Interceptor with ABS. I think most experts would agree that the Honda ABS is superior to BMW's system. So I think that BMW does use the German tech myth as a selling point when in reality the Japanese are technically superior. I really get perturbed when folks think that all the Japanese do is copy. All you have do do is look at the patent apps and you will see Japanese companies with lots of new creative ideas. I wish more American companies had Honda's long-term vision versus the Enron, World Com etc short-term make our money and run attitude. Better get off the the soap box now.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2002, 04:47 PM   #52
vigorito
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS Reader Feedback

I think the F650CS is one Bond movie (or perhaps a Jackie Chan movie) and one economic resession away from being a sales hit. It is awfully pricy, but I'm guessing it was designed in the Roaring 90s and was targeted at the wealth-effect crowd. I wouldn't mind riding one, though...
vigorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:24 PM   #53
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: No, THIS is BMW's latest creation...

The front end is kind of cool; I like the windshield. Futuristic but with a nod to the past.

The saddlebags and tail trunk are fookin' hideously awful looking. Some originality in design there would be nice.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:55 PM   #54
deanmass
Founding Member

I saw one of these at the shop, and thought it looked OK in an odd way, but the price?? Come on....9K for an entry level commuter? I could not sell one to someone over an R1150 roadster. Much better bike, slightly more cash..

There 20 bikes that are better at this for not too much more than 1/2 the price...

I think BMW was shooting for a niche of a niche of a niche market here...
deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 01:04 AM   #55
Probuzz
Founding Member

i was going to writhe a commentary on my opinion of this bike,when i realized i really don't care anything about it.not to discredit bmw for trying to attract newer riders, but i would be willing to bet that the majority of people entering the motorcycle arena would be better suited by purchasing a simpler and more "common"' bike such as the fine sv650,or even a good used older honda f series,or yamaha fzr 600. i know that there always will be the person that needs to have the exotic looking ride,as a lot of todays riders seem to be more fashion oriented than anything else,and i agree variety is the spice of life,but in reality there are a lot of more effective machines out there for a lot less cash.far be it from me to tell anyone what to like,but i suspect this bike will become like the latest pair of "cool" sunglasses,something to pose and be seen with,impressive to the laymen,(layladies too) but nothing more than a funny looking bike that will identify you as a newbie to the more seasoned riders who have gotten past the fashion show part of riding.one man's opinion though,do what makes ya happy.
Probuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 01:05 AM   #56
sshorkey
Registered Member

Styling is interesting. I like the 650CS, very cool bike, I'm 31. I very much dislike the VW beetle.

point taken,

Stephen
sshorkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 01:26 AM   #57
Probuzz
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW does make good bikes.

i already own a more durable and practical machine.it's a ford truck. i ride a motorcycle for the fun of it,i routinely log 300 mile days on my idiotic '93 cbr900rr,the trunk has enough room for lunch and a drink,and i have never,repeat,never,been passed by anyone on a beemer.i have ridden the new and old generation boxer,and an older k model,they both reminded me of riding on a two wheeled lawn tractor,albiet a bit shinier.we do have a guy around here in upstate ny that rides year round on a boxer,snowstorms and all,but he is more of an eccentricity than anything else.but once again,i will firmly state,do what makes ya happy,if slow,overpriced and clunky is your thing,go for it,at least ya ride,groceries n all
Probuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 02:57 AM   #58
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Standards are making a comeback (sometimes called "naked streetbike" to sound sexier), so there *is* a market for something between cruiser and sportbike. But the new-generation standards of other marques offer either nostalgia, or plenty of bang for the buck, or even both. The F650CS appears to offer neither one, it's just strange. And if one likes strange but practical urban transit devices there are scooters that fill the bill for a lot less. I do agree the targeted demographic for this bike might hit closer to bullseye if it were $3000 less.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 03:10 AM   #59
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Why wouldn't a wannabe squid (assuming they want a new bike) just buy some leftover 600? They'd save several thou and look much more authentic posing as a real squid before they acquire the hospital bills to certify as one.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 03:45 AM   #60
SRMark
Founding Member

You mention that the F650CS can be "thrown with abandon..." Amen. If I were to ride it on a canyon road I would surely be tempted to abandon it, throwing it into the canyon. Instant eye-sore relief.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote