Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   BMW F650CS Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1344-bmw-f650cs-reader-feedback.html)

KPaulCook 08-10-2002 10:42 PM

What's next Mrs. Robinson?

At the risk at offending BMW owners I kind of think Beemers are strange looking in general. The two guys I know that are interested in this bike are both right out of college with non techical degrees. One drives VW Pasat and the other has an old BMW. Europhiles I think.. They tend to not be interested at all in the techincal aspects of the thing. Totally opposite of my sport bike buds and myself. Both of these guys have never ridden any type of bike. So it seems Burns is right (cough cough) that newbies are the target buyer and that BMW hit their mark. Personally the bike has a lousy price performance ratio. SV650 would be a much better choice. But when I suggested the SV650 to my two Europhiles buds, one said "Oh a Suzuki" I thought to myself "Whatever"

yosef 08-11-2002 01:23 AM

Re: BMW F650CS Reader Feedback

must agree on the Moto 6.5 being a groundbreaking piece. nevertheless, I still think Aprilia was targeting the same market segment at the time.

in a recent interview with aprilia's design chief, Gianfranco Frizon, you could see how much of a flop the thing was on the sales floor.

When asked what was the story with Starck's 6.5, his answer was: next question please!

fizzchem 08-11-2002 03:49 AM

Re: No, THIS is BMW's latest creation...

A feast for vermin. That thing is putrid.

frankc1019 08-11-2002 06:49 AM

I agree 100%. For the little difference in price the R1150R is way more motorcycle & much better looking. And the 1150R is a real Beemer;it has a drive shaft.

seruzawa 08-11-2002 07:32 AM

Putting on the bags is a good idea. Anything that will cover-up that hideous looking thing is appreciated.

seruzawa 08-11-2002 07:40 AM

Re: What's next Mrs. Robinson?

I know the HD guys take a lot of hits for snobbery, and it's justified in many cases. But I've seen just as much, if not more, snobbery from Beemerphiles in my 40 years of biking. Lord knows how many Beemers have bit the dust in parking lots due to BMw's decades long refusal to make a bike with a decent sidestand. In such an expensive bike that's unexcusable.

But since it's German it HAS to be superior, right?

Too many posers.... HD posers, Ducati posers, BMW posers.......

DucButt 08-11-2002 11:31 AM

Re: BMW Colors

Seruzawa, I like reading your posts. Regarding space monsters, I wonder if Ness is a Euro name... As in Arlen Ness... Okay, some of his work is great, but I tend to think of him as the George Barris of motorcycles.

mxgb5 08-11-2002 12:31 PM

Those pictures are a joke... right?

Yuck. It looks like something that escaped from one of those 1950s giant-insect horror movies.

KPaulCook 08-11-2002 03:35 PM

Re: What's next Mrs. Robinson?

I have been going on some group rides with guys who ride cruisers albeit performance cruisers Valkarie, Magna, and a new Mean Streak. I am starting to notice the BMW and HD snobery you talk about. But my buds with the perf cruisers are unintimindated by it. We showed up at Harley Dealer party (me on my Ninja, I parked my off to the side though). My friend on the Valk is about 6 ft 3 and built like a tight end. Maybe that is why they left us alone :) Seriously though the older guys were great it seemed to be the guys with the attitude were the younger posers.

The_Gemini 08-11-2002 03:46 PM

BZZZZZ,..... F650.....YAWN...DRIFTER........SNOOZE SCOOTERS.....SNUFFLE ......H1...(Brief wake up for Tuono)...snore.......more easy to get stuff...drone......collapse.