Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-09-2002, 10:16 PM   #21
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS Reader Feedback

Um... sorry about your trend-happy ex. Well, if she was so trend happy, you're probabably better off without her.

As for the Scarver, don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming it looks great, but I do think it looks better in the flesh than in pictures. I concede that in the flesh, it looks more hoaky than in the pictures, but in the flesh, the proportions are better some how.

I do like the swing arm, belt drive and "inboard" break. Although on the other side of the bike, the exhaust looks dumb.

Oh well, even if we don't agree completely, I guess neither of us is going to buy this bike
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2002, 10:33 PM   #22
PurpleYam
Founding Member

It looks like a good urban commuter, but I cant see flogging this thing all day in the country and then chug-a-lugging a few brews afterwards... especially at 9 Grand for the pleasure.
PurpleYam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 01:02 AM   #23
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default BMW Colors

I've seen a lot of posts slamming the styling of this bike and new BMWs in general. I think that the biggest problem recent Beemers have, is in the paint department. I think my R1100R looks great in dark blue, with a black seat. However, I've seen the same bike with light blue / brown or orange seat and it's hideous. Likewise, I never liked the new GS 1100 / 1150 until I saw one in all black. The Scarver is a weird design, but a traditional color scheme would make it easier on the eyes.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 02:35 AM   #24
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default SimonWho?

BMW cares about the selling part of motorcycles. Period.

They're trying to develop a new market and more power to them. The newbies will probably get hooked on our kind of machine too. Hey, the more the merrier.

And, John, it's several steps up from a scooter. And I'll review the article on SimonGarfunkel
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 02:42 AM   #25
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Colors

Well my feelings towards BMW's range from like to love. For example, I love the looks of the R1150R. I have learned to like the looks of the R1150GS and R1200C. I don't know if a decent color scheme would help me with this bike. But then, given my age group, and the fact that I'm not European, I don't believe that this was a bike I was intended to like. (I like the way it drove though.)

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 02:45 AM   #26
fizzchem
Founding Member

By far the ugliest two wheeled contrivance in some time. In 'person' it looks just as bad as the pictures. Trying to get new American buyers by using this 'styling' at BMW prices is a mistake. If BMW is trying to get wacky Euro kids to buy it, fine. I wouldn't expect big sales here.

BMW proved that they can make a good looking bike with the S. What if they wrapped that kind of styling around a single? That might sell...
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 02:50 AM   #27
dwr461
Founding Member

BMW has some pretty interested research that shows this : When they get someone to buy a BMW they tend to continue buying BMW's. These return customer usually purchase much more expensive ones. They have a high degree of brand loyalty. If they can get people who don't find the traditional "biker" look to buy a bike then more power to them. We need as many different people riding bikes as possible in order to increase our demographic.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 03:42 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

First off, I have never owned or even ridden a BMW. Why I cannot say, because I lusted for a 900S back in the mid 70's. They do offer something different from the standard fare. This bike looks a bit odd to me, but will appeal to those looking for something unique. My view of a big thumper is that it should be simple, cheap, and have enough torque to pull your arms off. This one doesn't fit that mold.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:53 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Waaaaay overpriced. For a mere $800 more than the ABS 650 you can get the R1150R. This is a no brainer.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:57 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: BMW Colors

You're a far more tolerant man than I. The 1200C is a completely hideous concatenation of unrelated designs. It looks like it was conceived by the drunk old janitor who cleaned the basement at the old DKW plant.

Europeans just can't design cruisers. They always end up looking like space monsters. Remember the Norton HiRider? (shudder).