Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-16-2002, 04:16 AM   #121
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS Reader Feedback

Personally I don't find the V-strom very weird looking. Its looks are downright conservative compared to the F650CS. Only problem I can foresess it that you may end up SOL when it comes to aftermarket support (not that the V-strom needs a lot of it). A major Suzuki dealer in the KC area told me he has not sold one V-strom yet, and expects it to be dropped within 2 years at most if not a "1-year wonder."
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2002, 09:59 PM   #122
Mikey
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda vs. BMW. The case for Honda.

You aren't giving proper credit to the VFR, a sport-touring machine. It is a solid 100k+ mile machine. There are several people on the VFR list that have over 100k and those are just the ones that are active, who knows how many lurkers are out there.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:03 AM   #123
beryl
Founding Member

Default Re: Who Remembers When...?

...but I love my weird, overpriced zeppelin! I have an R1200c Montana, and I bought it for the style. It's the first new bike I've ever bought and 2 years later I'm still happy. I do occasionally miss the power of the Magna V65 that I traded in on my bimmercycle, but that's the only thing that I miss. I love the way the engine purrs; and the seat-handlebar-peg position fits me like a glove.

And I love the look of the CS. Curvy and femme. It reminds me of my Flower Power iMac. Guess I'm not the typical biker but getting more bikes and riders of all stripes on the road is a good thing, right?
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:10 AM   #124
beryl
Founding Member

Default Re: What's next Mrs. Robinson?

KPaul, I'm one BMW owner that isn't offended at all. I bought my R1200C Montana because nothing looked like it. 2 years later, I still love it. Love the look of the new CS, too. Guess I just like strange

Though I guess that you have me on the degree bit - my bachelors is in Psych, and i have zero interest in the tech side of bikes. I like fast, but the only tool that I know how to use has a Visa logo on it

-beryl
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:11 AM   #125
chadhargis
Founding Member

I think many of you are missing the point. What good does it do for a company to NEVER move past it's current designs. Can you imagine if Ford had just kept making the Model T because it sold well? "Well...people like it, so let's never change it." Oh, PUHLEEZ! Wake up and smell the coffee. Companies have to grow and change to target a new generation of buyers. There is such a negitive image of bikers now days that even thought I am a 30 year old computer professional, I sometimes avoid identifying myself as a motorcyclist because of all the bad press we get between Bike Week, Sturgis, Biketoberfest, etc. It makes me feel good to see exhibits like Art of the Motorcycle (which BMW sponsored) and see progressive thinking to try to move the general publics perception away from black leather and loud pipes.

Yeah..I've got a bias as I am on my second BMW. Yes, they are expensive, and yes they are heavy. But that heft is nice is a nasty crosswind, and the ABS brakes have saved my bacon a number of times. I'd never ride a bike without them. I'm not a racer, don't do track days, and could care less about doing 150mph or some other less than safe stunt. I simply ride to enjoy the ride (and make it home safely to ride again someday). I like my nice quiet pipe, my cushy seat, and my big old heavy funky looking 1150GS.

Sure, I could have saved $4000 and bought some repli racer bike that has more performance than I need and less safety features than I want....but that's not my bag. Not knocking you if it's yours, but it seems that many of you are knocking the CS because it doesn't fit your particular style of riding. Thank goodness it's a free country where we can choose our mount. Just because a bike isn't right for you doesn't make it a bad bike. BMW builds a fine product and I'm sure anyone who buys a CS will be happy with it (unless everyone keeps telling them how ugly, expensive, and slow it is).
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:24 AM   #126
chadhargis
Founding Member

Default Re: Revolution

I disagree with the 3 bike theroy. I ride a BMW 1150GS...which of the three catagories does it fall into. It's NOT a cruiser, too slow to be a sportbike, to small and agile to be a "road hog". Ah yes...it's an "Adventure Tourer". Motorcycling has become so segmented. In years past, if you rode something with two wheels, you were part of the "brotherhood". Now I see cruiser riders refuse to return a wave from a sportbike rider, or a teddy bear laiden Goldwing rider snickering at a rider in full leathers. What's happening to us? If it's got two wheels...and YOU like it...then ride it. To hell with what everybody else thinks. I think deep down we all have the same basic interest in motorcycling. We may be vastly different of the surface, but we do have a common bond.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #127
chades
Founding Member

Just to let you all know, I'm buying one of these and they do offer incentives. I got a $1500 rebate on this bike. I too thought the price was way too high. But, I can afford it with the rebate.

I'm a fairly new rider - 1 year experience and after taking a test ride, I really enjoy this bike. I have been looking for something that is not a typical cruiser (which I just sold - Honda ACE 750) or a crotch rocket. I like the styling, although many people don't, but I just really like the ride and the looks of the bike. Just waiting until it arrives!

chades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #128
docflash
Registered Member

my bmw r1100rsl was in the shop for a while recently, and i got to ride a number of different bikes as loaners, including a k1200rs, an r1150RT, an F650GS, and an F650CS.

i've been riding bmw's since 1979, and had 15 years on other brands before that. i ride daily, commuting from san francisco to my medical office in marin, in all kinds of weather.

i was *very* positively impressed by the f650cs. its light weight reminded me of what bikes felt like when i was a kid. tho' the power was well under what i was used to on the r1100rsl, i could still easily keep up and pass on the freeway when i wanted.

the bike didn't feel as rigid as the r1100rs, but it was a lot less of a "gummy-cow" than any of my old airhead bmw twins. i had no problem with it.

gas mileage was extraordinary - around 70mpg commuting. and the ABS is reassuring on wet roads - tho' i must admit, i'm spoiled.

about the only downside of the bike is that it *REALLY* looks "styled."

and "styled" isn't really my style.