Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-09-2002, 05:50 AM   #41
Garbram
Registered Member

Default Re: Restoration Without the Exploration

Had a '72 H1 as a second bike back in the late 70's. Picked it up from a ridding buddy who was leaving town. Expansion chambers and K&N's with clubman bars, it was awsome. Musta painted it three times, it went from corvette yellow, to all black, to all red. Sold it to a guy at work and never saw it again.....fun bike!
Garbram is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2002, 03:11 AM   #42
DragonF6
Registered Member

I had the tangerine orange H1 too! Can't remember if it was a '72 or '73. I absolutely loved the bike...even with the smoke, shaking and bad handling...but I was much younger then. Bought it as a new leftover in New York City and dodged potholes and taxicabs for 6 years before selling it to some idiot kid who wrapped it around a tree. I was moving back to Michigan and needed the money. It absolutely killed me when, a week before I left, I heard he totaled it (he only got a broken arm out of it). One of my biggest regrets is selling that bike.
DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 07:21 AM   #43
motodude1
Founding Member

The tangerine orange model was 1972.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:36 AM   #44
motoman_1
Founding Member

it is a shame walneck's bought out and retired "old bike journal" which was loaded with color articles and offered free advertizing. it was oriented towards jap cycles and was a real source of info and parts.
motoman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:47 AM   #45
motoman_1
Founding Member

thanks for the tip. i ordered three posters.....
motoman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:40 AM   #46
gt_zrx
Founding Member

Thanks for a wonderful article. I also own a 1970 red H-1, that I bought over 30 years ago. I also owned an H-2. Mine is about 95% restored, and I can definitely relate to the effort that goes into the resoration!

Most riders today do not realize the impact that these bikes had on the motorcycle world when they were introduced. Go back and read some of the articles of the time. By the way, despite what people may believe, the triples were pretty reliable bikes. I put over 50 K on mine and most of the problems I encountered were caused by my own ignorance (modifications) and very heavy throttle hand. People also forget that 500 Kawasakis were very competitive in endurance racing and nearly toppled the mighty MV team and Agostini for the world 500 championship. Although I own four bikes and have owned many more, this will be the one that I will sell last. It was imperfect, but it was the bike that I lusted after, and the sound of those three cylinders at 6000 rpm still sends tingles up my spine!
gt_zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:20 PM   #47
hawkinziii
Founding Member

As a new subscriber to MO, I've been going through the articles/reviews on the site, and this one really did bring the memories flooding in (some of which were probably best left on the dock).

My own first "real" motorcycle was a '73 Mach II (the 350 cc triple), bought new for the then-princely sum of $895.

The bike was everything the article said: blindingly quick (for the day), but noisy, smoky,

lousy gas mileage and all. None but the first

mattered...until the Oil Embargo, that is.

The clouds of blue smoke it produced were COOL, man--that's what the driver of the Camaro who'd dared challenge you in the

stoplight drag race was left breathing. True, the fact that the Kaw would invariably foul a spark plug when you let off the gas was a pain (literally, since is always seemed to be the middle one), but that was just the motorcycle gods' way of telling you not to let off the gas.

But oh, that embargo!

Babied along, I could get 27 mpg on a daily

commute, which meant sitting in a 45-minute queue at the gas station at least twice a week to buy the three gallons of fuel the tank would hold. Ouch! Meanwhile, my dad, who drove a sensible (but boring) Honda 350, was getting almost sixty mpg in a bike that ran its entire 30,000-mile life on one set of spark plugs.

"Grow up," it seemed to be telling me.

Eventually I did, sad to say, but you never forget your first true love, and for me, it was that Kawasaki Triple.
hawkinziii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #48
mtmouse
Founding Member

First off Hello everyone, my first day here. Nearing the end of a restoration project on a 1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado I really enjoyed this story. I have done the same with E-Bay and the internet looking for parts and sometimes help. I enjoyed the experience of a restoration project and am looking forward to my next.
mtmouse is offline   Reply With Quote