Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-06-2002, 10:15 AM   #21
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Restoration Without the Exploration

I second that motion. I can see it now:

Enfield Bullet vs. SV650

Seriously, the Enfield is a living antique and it would be cool to see a MO review.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2002, 10:17 AM   #22
doc929
Founding Member

Great piece. My 1970 Kawasaki Mach 111 was my second bike. It was arguably the fastest vehicle available for sale in the US at that time. My brother, no expert ran a 13.3/100mph at at the strip when the bike had 17,000 miles on it with just a new set of rings and plugs. Kawasaki advertised a 12 sec run with Tony Nicosia on board. Don't kid yourself. It was the original "wobble-saki". No brakes, no handling. Terrible gas mileage, spark plugs lasted less than 1000 miles, but my gosh was it fast. Redline was 8500rpm, but mine would regularly pull 9600 in top gear, around an honest 120mph. from 500cc in 1970. The intake howl could be heard from three blocks away. It needed about 4,000 rpm and slip the clutch to pull away from a stop and riding two up, trying to leave a light quick was an invitation to a wheelie. My future wife and I rode two up at 70mph against a head wind caused it to get less than 20 mpg on one notable trip. The Mach 111 was the original hooligan bike. Everything since that time is a pretender. My eyes are misting up thinking about that bike. Having said all that, there is no such thing as the good old days. The new bikes are supperior in every measurable way.

Mike Gilliland
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 10:30 AM   #23
motodude1
Founding Member

Thanks for all the great comments. I didn't know JB was posting it already, else I would've changed the triples board URL ...the one given doesn't work.

I love my triples

- Jason Roberts
Old 08-06-2002, 10:58 AM   #24
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Vintage or New?

your rz 350 certainly is one nice example of good-looking bikes from the 80's -- the previously mentioned srx is another. I'd add the sr500 (of course it originated in the 70's so maybe it doesn't count). I'd also include the gpz550, honda hawk 650 (that aluminum frame and single sided swingarm are works of art) and the original seca 650.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:36 AM   #25
rgmax
Founding Member

Great article! The first motorcycle I ever bought was a 74 H2, which I still have. I started extensively modifying it shortly after. It ended up with almost every thing in the Denco catalog (120 Cobra motor), Lester mags, and a whole bunch of stuff that nobody’s probably seen for 20 years. Its sits in my moms garage in Texas and hasn’t ran since 1979. I guess it just might be time to start working on it!
rgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 12:05 PM   #26
nebo
Registered Member

"Vintage Kawasaki" gak. those are mutually exclusiver terms. I guess I should review the definition of vintage- means old, not good.

Get that thing off the road and go buy something new- the world economy needs you, and the junkyard needs the blue cloud special.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #27
cliffb
Founding Member

Very Cool!!

I rode an orange H1 back and forth to work from Mt. Vernon to Oak Harbor, Washington for several months while I was without a cage. I remember how it used to wiggle in the corners and that awsome sound.

Thanks for the memories.
cliffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:55 PM   #28
dwindhorst
Founding Member

From your description, and those of other posters, I get the idea that "an exiting ride" was not a typo...
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:17 PM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

lol!

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #30
red-silver
Registered Member

Well... I caught the error in the preview and decided not to correct it! Thanks!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote