Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-13-2003, 07:27 AM   #41
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: Fun with headlights

Blue lights may put out less light, but they are a heck of a lot more annoying to oncoming drivers! Uh oh; shouldn't said that - it's likely reason enough for hordes of teenagers and twenty-somethings to go out and buy them!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #42
BPHORSEGUY
Founding Member

I BOUGHT A PIAA SUPERWHITE FOR MY DUCATI

PASO AND FOUND IT WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

SIDE BY SIDE WITH MY BUDDIE'S STOCK H4 THE

PIAA SEEMS TO PUT OUT TWICE AS MUCH LIGHT. IT IS NOW MORE DIFFICULT TO OUTDRIVE THE HEADLIGHT AT NIGHT. I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH OVER HEATING, IT SEEMS TO PUT OUT ABOUT THE SAME HEAT AS THE STOCK H4. I WILL BUY MORE OF THESE FOR MY OTHER BIKES.
BPHORSEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:07 AM   #43
supertireguy
Founding Member

Default Headlight Bulb Voodoo

I think the primary reason folks spend the extra money on the Blue HID look-alike bulbs is to pretend they really have HID lights. The blue tinting on the bulb might look cool but actually the result is less visible light on the road. It's a stoopid downgrade if you ask me.

If you really want really more light on the road then spend the money on a real HID kit. Real HID bulbs retrofit kits are some of the best money you can spend on your bike, especially if you ride at night. The light output and clarity is awesome. Someday soon I hope all motorcycles will come stock with HID headlamps.

http://xenondepot.com

supertireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 AM   #44
JDGreen
Founding Member

The reason alot of "superwhite" bulbs arent leagal has nothing to do with the color. Its the placement of the fillament relative to the reflector, and sometimes the wattage. Fillaments which are not precisely placed create too much glare, and (accoding to the DOT) so do higher wattage bulbs.

HID's can be a huge variance of colors, from yellowish to quite purple, blues included. And there are plenty of HID kits that are not DOT approved for similar reasons to above.
JDGreen is offline   Reply With Quote