Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Fun with headlights (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1327-fun-headlights.html)

navion_pa1 07-30-2002 02:57 AM

Re: Fun with headlights

If you really want to do the headlight trick, correcty, try wiring the headlights using relays.

This will give you 12 volts to the bulb, without the high voltage drop thru the switch. This will also make your headlight switch last, not having to pull anywhere from 60 to 100 watts.

Also keep an eye on the headlight socket, if it doesn't fit correctly (tight) heating will occur, with possible melting of the socket.

David

01kaw9r 07-30-2002 04:15 AM

I put "superwhites" on my 01 ZX9R and Ford Expedition and I was disappointed with both. IMO, the light output was less and it wasn't as well dispersed. In addition, one of the filiments on the Expedition burned out deep into Baja and I suffered even less light for my long drive back. I put my factory lights back on both vehicles.

Poser 07-30-2002 05:25 AM

How 'bout other bulbs

OK, now that we know the real story about headlights, how about LED tail lights? How about a real experiment and put LED bulbs in your turn signals? We need to know...

smokingtz 07-30-2002 06:12 AM

So comrades, you have time to do a headlight comparison (only 2 different headlights?) but can't find the time to fix the classified section. I still can't post anything and no one responds to any emails. That was a well spent $12 on a subscription I guess.

pushrod 07-30-2002 08:27 AM

One factor you don't mention is the difference in the amount of heat the bulb itself produces.

I've been told (have not been able to verify) the 100/55 bulbs are too hot for (in my case) a Triumph Sprint ST, "but only if you leave the high beams on for an extended period".

For your next endevour, how about LED taillights?

El_Flaco 07-30-2002 08:42 AM

True...

what is obvious to me is obscure to others and vice versa. The fact that most people don't know the difference between a halogen bulb and an HID arc capsule is why superwhite manufacturers are making bank.

pushrod 07-30-2002 08:48 AM

Oops, that would be, "endeavor". How about "project"?

Grappelli 07-30-2002 09:25 AM

SIR!!,

Oh god, why did I give you $12. With that $12 I could have bought 120 donuts and that would have been realy useful. Instead you keep telling me useless facts about motorbikes. Why didn't you start a donut site instead. That would have been really useful.

You could have had articles on jam donuts, cholcotale donuts, mini donuts for those wanting to eat faster, wing shaped donuts for those who want their donuts to fly. Even humerously shaped fertility donuts from the lesser cultures.

So why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh have you spent my donut money on motorcycle information?

I think we should be told,

yours faithfully,

Major General, Sir Brian Wildboar Smyth (Mrs.)

Treasuror of the Conservative Party (ex)

(PS. The ex treasuror of the Conservative party in the UK REALLY WAS called Major General, Sir Brian Wildboar Smyth.)

Grappelli 07-30-2002 09:26 AM

Re: More Links with information

Er.. actually I didn't notice that at all..

KPaulCook 07-30-2002 09:26 AM

Good story, Good initiative. I think given the popularity of after market lights you might want to have a part 2 where you go into more detail. Next time you might want to get an opinions of a bike manufacturer rep, light rep etc. when you use non-spec wattage bulbs. Also staying within specs for wattage you could test several bulbs in a controled environment. Measure the light straight on and at angles of either side. This would get the facts and data freaks to buy in. For the subjective stuff you did fine with your impressions and the pictures were good. Just more bulbs are needed. A lot of us are interested in this topic. Thanks.