Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-29-2002, 03:57 PM   #11
erik_squires
Founding Member

Default Re: Fun with headlights

Great idea for the article, but not enough research.

For instance, had you done a little digging you would have discovered that blue tinted bulbs are not street legal. Legal light colors out of the front of a car are white, off white, or amber/yellow.

Further, you would have discovered the difference between blue tinted bulbs and true HID bulbs, and why the HID bulbs are street legal (hint, the light is white, not blue)

Guys, I apreciate you're motorcyclists, but your journalists too. Do some digging?

Thanks!

Erik

erik_squires is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2002, 04:06 PM   #12
erik_squires
Founding Member

Default More Links with information

FYI:

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/blue/good/

http://home.earthlink.net/~strider2/300zx/blue.html

http://dms3000.dot.gov/docimages/pdf82/176157_web.pdf

Hope they are useful to all.

Erik
Old 07-29-2002, 04:13 PM   #13
erik_squires
Founding Member

Default Re: More Links with information

And forgot this one:

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/blue/bad/
Old 07-29-2002, 04:33 PM   #14
Kirby
Founding Member

I purchased one of the Raybrig bulbs....don't remember actually which exact one...knowing

me, it was one of the cheaper units. The light

was advertised as White....and so it was. The road surface looked as it did in daylight. Don't actually KNOW if it was brighter....but to me the light was more natural and useable, to me

anyway. On highbeam, the lane dividers and signs LIT UP WAY down the road..much more that they did with the stock bulb. I feel it was worth the money. And I'll buy another when this one burns out. I would like to add some

aux light though ! for running with the low beam and high beam. Kirbster...

Old 07-29-2002, 04:35 PM   #15
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Thanks for those links- I was going to include lighting.mbz.org as a reference for lighting questions, but didn't for some reason.

Addressing your previous questions, I noted at the bottom of the article that the blue light was sold for "off-road use only," directly implying that it wasn't DOT approved or technically legal for street use.

Also, it's fairly obvious that a halogen bulb, no matter what color, is not the same as HID. That's why I didn't even try to draw a direct comparison between the two.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:35 PM   #16
dwr461
Founding Member

Mellow Greetings,

First the positves. I felt this article was entertaining and well written. But, it was very subjective. I could have gotten the same information down at the bike shop. Would it be possible for future comparison articles to include some actual facts. Could you have measured the distance the beams projected, width of the beam, measured candle power, the perceived quantity and quality of light to other drivers, or the change in the amount of current each bulb draws from the OEM bulb.

I realize that MO is designed to be entertainment. I also understand that most journalism majors took the minimal amount of sciences needed to get their diploma. But, if you're going to give subjective opinions only, than you bring into question the knowledge base from which you draw. I'm not saying your wrong in the results of the comparison but you leave yourself open to these criticisms.

You can most likely tell from the poor quality of my writing that I have strong science background.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:39 PM   #17
Mikey
Registered Member

Haha. You think it's obvious. That's funny. I too would love to think that it is obvious but alas my faith in my fellow man's common sense is slipping.

You're a little wet behind the ears but we like you anyway. Keep up the good work.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 11:52 PM   #18
RAC23
Registered Member

Wish you gave us more like this story. This is practical info we (well, most of us) can use. I guess it's mostly for those of us who sometimes ride into the night.
RAC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:25 AM   #19
doc929
Founding Member

Motorcycle Consumer News did a bulb comparison test over the last year or so. Their results were similar, if a little more scientific. They also found that expensive aftermarket bulbs with hi-tech names were no better than standard bulbs with the same watt ratings.
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:41 AM   #20
FLSVRider
Founding Member

I agree. I would love to run a higher watt light in my SV but am concerned about the capacity of the stock wiring system.

There was no objective data at all in this article. You guys should pick up a copy of Car & Driver and see how they do product tests.