Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-24-2002, 03:49 AM   #41
crackerdaddy
Founding Member

Default I like the varied content

I enjoyed the article. It was entertainingly written, thanks JB.

The more balanced perspective of MO is what I like. The mainstream American MC press is too focused on the latest sport bikes from the Big 4. I like sport bikes, standards, motards, cruisers,etc.- I like em all and like reading about them all.

So you got my money and will keep getting it.

crackerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2002, 04:20 AM   #42
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Kawasaki Vulcan reader feedback

Nice test. I'd like to see a cruiser shootout like MO used to do periodically.

After all, how many times can you test the same handful of narrow-edged sportbikes? That's all there are. Four Japanese 600s and four open class 4-cylinders, a couple of twins, a Triumph or two, add Ducati, Buell and a couple other italian exotics. That's all the sportbikes that are available. You have to exclude the Ninjas, VFRs etc because the sportbike mafia only wants to read about the track-ready style bikes.

Why should the same bikes be tested over and over add nauseum just to please one small group of motorcyclists? I'm glad that MO has been testing other bikes.

Now, when are we going to see some dirtbike tests?
Old 07-24-2002, 04:39 AM   #43
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

---Firstly, the Vulcan is more attractive than Julia Robert's lips. She is the Homeliest sex symbol of them all! How can she be the top paid actress in Hollywood? I don''t know. I guess you have to be a woman to understand her appeal.

---Secondly, I LIKE seeing reports of motorcycles I wouldn't normally be likely to or interested in owning, like the small vulcan. It puts ideas in my head, like I was stoned.

---There are all sorts of other bikes out there that no one reviews enough. Moto Guzzis and BMWs amoung them. Go ahead, review unlikely candidates. It gives me something to read and to think about, even if its Julia Roberts homely lips.

---Then too, what do people expect for $11 these days? I can't take my kids to Dairy Queen for $15! This subscription lasts a year anyway, its long. (I never got any Competition Accessory cupon though. Are they out of business?).

---Could you please compare the Vulcan to the V-star and the M.G. Stone? Maybe I'll pick one up cheap, if they turn out to be motorcycles!
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:06 AM   #44
Larrysupersport
Founding Member

Who is riding the bike in the pics of this article? That is definately not Johnyb.

Larry
Larrysupersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:13 AM   #45
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Really Decent, But Misleading

My dad was a reentry rider after taking 25 years off. He rode a CB350 in college in 1971. Really, Man. He told me the tires were solid rubber discs (kind of like cheese wheels) that had been hollowed out by a boring machine.

Based on what the old man told me, that old CB was the best bike you could have for riding in three feet of snow, uphill both ways, and fending off grizley bears with some chain lube (WD-40) to the eyes.

So Dad and I take the MSF course together, and he goes out and buys the 800 Drifter, which, as I understand it, has all the saame guts as this Classic 800. So it's the first thing I rode...for like, two years. IT's really easy to learn on, easy to get comfortable with, easy to gain confidence on. Not easy to practice low-speed cornering with, but that's about all.

Then I test-rode a Buell X1. And then a BMW R1150R. And then a Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans.

I've still never ridden a multi-cylinder bike, because no one will give me a test ride.

I've discovered that pretty much any new bike will reliably get me to triple digits and back, repeatedly. But I like that twins can get off the line pretty well, too. On my dad's Drifter, I've taken a Camaro, a group of drunk teenagers on Big4 Sportbikes, and even a Big-block hot-rod with a blower sticking through the hood. Okay, the drunken teenagers got by me a block-and-a-half later, but off the line, the 800 Kawi does me just fine.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:27 AM   #46
itchface
Founding Member

A swell choice. It easily out-features the more expensive VN800, with amenities such as a shaft final drive, self-adjusting valves, dual front disc brakes, damping adjustable shocks, a tachometer, a centerstand, and probably a few more things that didn't immediately spring to mind. Still, Rekord, if looks matter to you, how can you not find the aesthetics of the VN750 mildly nauseating?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:51 AM   #47
Bluestring
Founding Member

That Burns is FEARLESS isn't he? I mean having writeups on three cruisers lately, whatzup? Actually, I think its about time we stopped acting like Harley guys are realized that all riding on two wheels is fun. We all know that we need at least 3-4 bikes for different conditions. I'm moving to a large city in a couple of months and have already started thinking that my days of riding sportbikes might have to be put on hold for awhile. A nice comfortable small cruiser might be just the thing for riding down to the beach restaurants. Keep at it Burns! You always manage to strike a nerve somewhere.
Bluestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:30 AM   #48
blackburd
Founding Member

OH YES. All you guys whining about your $11.94 subscription (What's that, about the same cost as a Sunday morining ride breakfast?) can just shut up.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:30 AM   #49
itchface
Founding Member

OK. The article was interesting, the bike is uninspiring, its competition is bromidic. Can we get back to flaming now?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:49 AM   #50
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Tyres

Er, You're kidding right? Better make some room in your shed. Of course they have tubless tyres.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote