Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-22-2002, 03:19 PM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: The Objects of Our Affection

Interesting article. There is something to be said for keeping things simple. Indeed in engineering school a professor always would write K.I.S.S. . (Keep It Simple Stupid) before every project. However, I must side with your young fellas on this one. Folks like mechanical things because they can visualize things easier than electronics or electrical things in general. However, inspite of the perfect 65 Impala, electronical devices are much more dependable than mechanical devices. Remember mechanical tunners on TVs or mechanical timers on Microwaves. They suck. For those of us who have grow up building computers from scratch, electronic devices are just as dear as your old guys 65 Impalas (with carbs and points). Or harleys for that matter. Although the new cars today are more complex they require less maintenance, always start even when its cold etc. Also consumers have driven the complexity in the form of every increasing requirements. Now everyone wants power windows, locks etc. So the good old days are gone I say great. I embrace the future and make no apologies for it. Besides please don't take my remote away from me.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2002, 04:17 PM   #2
timharrison
Founding Member

Well made mechanical devices can be a joy to troubleshoot and repair, although as a sallow microchip plumber, I find fixing electron motivated equipment just as rewarding. But even as 26 year old gen'xer I can see Glydon's point. I recently had some problems with my late model pickup and not being able to diagnose it, I was forced to take it to the dealer. Well gee all it needed was a new throttle position sensor (TPS), heated oxygen sensor (HO2), and vehicle control module (VCM). I have found that everything complicated and expensive has an acronym. This doesn't mean I would trade my truck's electronics for the systems found on a '65 Impala. (not to say I wouldn't stop to clean the pretty lady's points) It is frustruating not to be able to fix your own stuff. In electronics you can't see the forces involved so you must have schematics, special test equipment, and training to fix a circuit. To me this doesn't make it any less rewarding than fixing that old camera, just less accessible to the average Mr. Fixit. I see alot of bitterness in the ole timers towards new technology which I think can mostly be attributed to the fact that they don't want to invest the time needed to learn how something works, so it must be bad.

P.S. The 280Z was a piece of *****, an impaired Impala doesn't need a babe to get attention on the side of the road, Hondas don't break down, and Old Bill's wife must have enjoyed TCW3 cologne.
timharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:00 PM   #3
El_Flaco
Founding Member

That was one of the points that hackfu and I brought up. I'm sure to Glydon's shop teachers in high school, those 'wacky 4 barrel Holleys' (or whatever the hot ticket was at the time) were inscrutable to them. It's a generational thing. Not to say that I didn't like Glydon's writing- I don't agree with much that he has to say, but I always enjoy his POV and his interesting points. His "Football Bikes" article (the one that MO didn't publish last month) was the best, though. See if you can find it in the citybike.com archives, it's very entertaining and worth the read.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

I too like the guys writing. I hope you guys publish more of his work. Thanks for the citybike.com link.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

I have to agree, new is better, after starting out driving *****-barge chevy's and other '70's garbage, I would hate to go back. while I appreciate a nice restored or original Charger or Mustang or Panhead, or whatever, I'll take a new Lexus or acura anyday! who wants to go back to tube-tires and points? what a pain in the butt. I've got a dandy timing light I'll sell to the luddites cheap.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:15 PM   #6
alanheng
Founding Member

As Tim stated, some people like to fix their own things. I, for one, like to fix my motorcycles; especially since I crash so often and the shop bill would force me out of college.

I'm day-dreaming about the new V-Strom at the moment (I go through a new fancy every few weeks), and when I took a test-ride I felt that it had some fuel-injection issues down-low. The sentiment was shared with about half of the V-strom owners who experience it. Being a fuel injected bike I can't simply shim the needles or adjust the fuel mixture screw; but rather I may have to recalibrate the TPS or buy a Power Commander ($329) so that I can use a Laptop ($1,000) to tweak the fuel map.

Granted, tweaking a few numbers on a laptop is a lot easier than pulling the carbs, but it creates a greater divide between a user being self-sufficient to fix himself out of a bind, rather than dependent on the time and fees of others.

Bring on technology (and buy me a laptop).
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:41 PM   #7
Jim_Jones
Founding Member

You're right--it is a "generational thing".Twenty-five years from now all the kids will wonder how the hell we rode those crappy,underpowered Gixxers and 998s with their wooden suspensions and skinny tires.Then you guys can write a story about the grand old bikes of your youth and try to pass along a little wisdom to the new crop of squids.

A lot depends on what kind of rider you are,too.Do you do all your own maintenance,or just oil changes and brake pads?Recreational rider vs. long-haul,or even better,bike-as-sole-means-of-transport rider?Do you trade-in bikes every 3-4 years or keep them over 20?I think there are more terrific bikes available today than ever before;it really is the best of times.And I own both new and old bikes.But,if you fall into the keep 'em forever group,you will come to appreciate the old bikes with their points and condensers.If your CDI box fails three states from home and 30 miles from the nearest dealer,you are screwed.IF the part is still available you have to wait for it to come in,and when it does it's going to put a major dent in your wallet.No,the old bikes didn't perform nearly as well as the new ones,but I can carry a spare set of points and feel pretty good about myself in the middle of nowhere.If I view my new bikes as short-term,disposable appliances,who cares?I'll be rid of them before the black boxes begin to fry;it's only a matter of perspective.

Jim_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:51 PM   #8
oldbluegone
Founding Member

Hummmmmmmm! If one were to look at the current tuning craze for import cars; a person just might be led to believe that there are quiet a few young people who not only love the mechanicals of their cars, but also the electronics of the cars as well. Indeed beauty can be found in modern fuel injection as it can be found in a carb.

I work as a machinist and the raw mechanical appeal of motorcycles speaks to me strongly. But the funny thing is that one of my buddies at work has a mid-seventies KZ650 which is about as stone simple as bikes can get, and I never have the desire to hop on and take to the open road. My other friend has an RC51 and I drool all over myself everytime I pass it. The RC51 is a very high-tech bike and I love it. It balances mechanicals and electronics very well....almost as well as Ducati does.

P.S.

If you squint just right...doesn't the Warrior drag bike look a lot like a Vincent Black Shadow?
oldbluegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:33 AM   #9
jscribner
Founding Member

The idea of co-dependence is one reason some folks 'love' their mechanical equipment... it's not reliable enough to make it on it's own, it NEEDS it's owner to fix it.

Reminds me of a show on the discovery channel that I winced through the other day, about Jesse James riding with 3 guys to Sturgis on their choppers. There were more breakdowns than commercial breaks... as bad-assed as they might look, I wasn't impressed. Riding with no hands, no helmets, no jackets, on something that is always teetering on the edge of a mechanical failure is not high on my list of smart activities. (I digress)

I 'love' my wrx, new fangled fuel injection, limited slip diff. and all... I love it as a whole, not some particular part of it that needs my help to continue functioning... constipated electrons be damned, it beats the snot out of the '70 pontiac and '75 chevy's that were my first cars. [I also love my f4i, specifically, the i]

I have a wife and son who 'need' me... and my time is better spent working on them. Let the dealer fix the car.

As a caveat, I do understand the need for hobbies, and if your hobby is fixing that old car or bike, more power to ya.

jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:47 AM   #10
4nk8k9
Founding Member

We have become a throw-away society. I don't think of my R1 as a bike I will own forever, it is just the latest and greatest and will be replaced. Things that are cool one year are embarrasing the next. A couple of years ago I couldn't buy a new VW Beetle, they laughed when I showed up at the dealer. Now every used car lot has at least one for sale. Who repairs an IBM XT, or even an ancient Pentium (ancient being 5 years old)?

My Dad's Pentax camera has been around for 25 years, my Canon digital will be in the family for a matter of months. In the end though, I'm willing to bet that in 30 years I will wish I had kept my old R1, my old Miata, but certainly won't be pining for my old Pentium.