Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The Objects of Our Affection (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1313)

jmeyn 07-24-2002 05:31 PM

Re: The Objects of Our Affection

Best post prize!

Best post prize!

BEST POST PRIZE!!!

jmeyn 07-24-2002 05:37 PM

Throw it my way

Not much of a problem selling those throw-aways if they're fixable. And they are fixable if they haven't been wadded. It's the same now as it was in the 70s: Your throw-away is my new bike!

sarnali 07-24-2002 08:39 PM

apparently the auto parts industry is more reasonable than the aerospace/defense sector, here in order to sell aircraft they offload a portion of the manufacturing work as an incentive, when that particular contract ends, they license the recipient to continue manufacturing parts, this company goes from being a "world class manufacturer" to a "large scale systems intergrator" and 30,000 more people get laid off, the CEO gets a fat bonus, and the shareholders stocks go up a penny or two, of course you can get retrained, you just have to take a $15. p/h pay cut and lose half your bennies, my particular field [ plant engineering ] is pretty secure, but those half empty parking lots paint a little gloomier picture for alot of people, wether its market driven or good old corporate backstabbing, it stinks for alot of people less fortunate than us.

sarnali 07-24-2002 08:55 PM

the ideal is to be old enough to remember how to set points and dwell angle, and be astute enough to learn how more modern electronics work, the rest is just nuts and bolts.

imported_marc_1 07-24-2002 09:43 PM

I tend to agree with most of the posts, new equipment does seem to work better, need fewer repairs and offer better performance. However one could argue that motorcycles from the beginning through the seventies also looked very nice, now with the exception of a few bikes they aren't much to look at. Also a point overlooked so far is the monetary demand of new equipment. People with limited incomes can buy, maintain and repair older equipment and stay on the road. Not everyone has the means for the new stuff. It all has it's place, some like Bach and some like Brittany.

shalbleib 07-25-2002 04:40 AM

hey, hey, hey, have you ever driven an old 280Z? my guess would be, no. they were great cars w/ strong engines. i can't say much about the fuel injection - mine had aftermarket 3 side-mount weber carbuerators on it when i bought - it was a thing of beauty. i'm typically a huge fan of MO articles, but shame, shame, shame for insulting the old z!

Fugger 07-25-2002 08:41 AM

I think the general idea of your post is all too accurate. I wish it weren't so, and I believe it is responsible for so many jaded opinions.

One of my grandfathers seems to be the exception. At 79 he's still working. He owns a microwave communications business. He works because he feels it keeps him healthy physically, but more importantl mentally.

He kinda gripes about computers, but he spends a lot of time with them and about three years ago purchased one for his home.

His drive comes from wanting to keep his mind working as long as his body does. It's my opinion that too many peoople give up on being mentally active. They get to a point, be it 35 or some other age, that they go through life dependent on what knowledge they've accumulated. I see this even in my own father. I'm in my early 30s and I have long hoped that my awareness of this will provide the motivation not to fall into that stereotypical rut.

Besides, in the technology industry, not to keep pushing for more knowledge is professional suicide.

Haird 07-25-2002 11:14 AM

Things today are designed as throw-aways? My 10-year-old, 90,000-mile Camry runs perfectly, burns no oil, has no tears in the seats (despite constant abuse from young children) and gives every indication it will last another 90,000 miles. And all this on one tune-up so far. None of the several 60s-70s-80s cars I have owned have even come close to this record of durability. If that's throw-away technology, bring it on.

dparker99 07-25-2002 12:08 PM

My company also supplies aerospace parts - namely shrouds for the inside of turbine casings, fasteners, inserts for high temperature applications. (x-750, inconel, various stainless steel alloys). The whole company only employees around 600 people, with one mill in Massachusettes (strip steel products), one in South Carolina (wire, bar, and profile products), a service center / warehouse in California, and three similar mills in Germany. I cannot imagine working for a company that employs thousands - it would be easy to get lost in the shuffle.

jo63sr 07-26-2002 05:47 AM

I'll go along with you on your thought processes. Double so on the WRX........I, also am the proud owner of a 2002 WRX Sport Wagon...best handling, fun automobile I've owned........I must be a little nutz..........being 66 yrs. young and all. Hang in there and never let them tell you, " Aren't you a little too old for: ( Fill In The Blanks. )