Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   The Objects of Our Affection (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1313-objects-our-affection.html)

ValkBandit 07-24-2002 06:26 AM

believe it or not ....

believe it or not, i was shooting for humor, and i sincerely apologize if i offended. i had assumed that in calling me old, YOU were shooting for humor, too, and i returned the joke.

and by the way ... MY mama IS old (but she's still ticking--amazing stuff that geritol). you can make fun of her if you like. where i come from its perfectly acceptable.

i hope that, combined with the apology, sets things right.

of course i realize water-cooled engines have been around a long time. what i should have said was water-cooled MOTORCYCLE engines are relatively new. i believe the first was the suzuki 750 "water buffalo," a two stroke that i think was launched in early-to-mid 70s.

dparker99 07-24-2002 07:05 AM

Re: The Objects of Our Affection

What is interesting to note - that it is not our shareholders (owners) that are driving our company to do more with less - it is the end user (consumer) that demands the highest quality product at the cheapest price. Look at the price of a computer or DVD player or TV set. The amount of technology and engineering crammed into modern capital goods is mind boggling, and we (consumers) do not think anything more for it- just take it for granted.

A second point is that as our company grows - with automation and technology - we do not lay off people to replace them with machines, we train them to run the machines because we need highly skilled people to keep the place going. It even gets to the point that you have more invested in your people than the equipment they run.

SeanAlexander 07-24-2002 07:10 AM

I was just thinking that. I think its the black color, with the long tail and the headlight shape.

I was just thinking that. I think its the black color, with the long tail and the headlight shape.

ditto

SeanAlexander 07-24-2002 07:43 AM

Martin,

I particularly like that Bruise Brothers saying: "One day, you're going to be dead for a long long time" a lot of people in this world seem to lose track of the idea that they only get one shot at this.

(Dear readers, please don't take this as any sort of religous promotion or as a bash of your particular religion)

Fugger 07-24-2002 10:52 AM

What a load of crap. Sorry, but Mr. Glydon is obviously a narrow minded welp that hasn't thought to seek the honest answer to his own whimsy.

Not many a hot rodder has "love" for carbs, but digital fuel injection and a lap top will spark many rodder's fancy. Many a motorcyclists also.

Technology has provided the opportunity to overcome the physical limitation of a simple solution and has added a new level of complexity.

The mechanical principles are all the same, they are simply tailorable via a SIMPLE serial link instead of cast in stone.

I think Mr. Glydon's lack of love for technology simply reflects his lack of motivation to embrace it.

And Cameras . . . Well, a basic digital camera is the model of simplicity. Look at the web cam sitting on so many PCs. Yes, you have, at your behest, the ability to purchase myriad complex electronic devices, but this certainly is not a requirement.

As an electrical engineer myself, I know that there's a reason we have long since abandoned rheostats in favor of virtual inputs. Mechanical devices are prone to wear and failure. Electricity and light aren't.

Mr Glydon's assumptions about what is simple and pure are just that, opinions born out of ignorance.

jmeyn 07-24-2002 11:36 AM

You just lost the argument

What a load of crap. Sorry, but Mr. Glydon is obviously a narrow minded welp that hasn't thought to seek the honest answer to his own whimsy. You should be sorry. You are abusing a stranger who is simply expressing his own feeling.

I think Mr. Glydon's lack of love for technology simply reflects his lack of motivation to embrace it. ...which choice it is surely his right to express.

Mr Glydon's assumptions about what is simple and pure are just that, opinions born out of ignorance. Ignorance gives birth to no opinions at all.

The rest of your rant constitutes your own opinion, to which you have every right. Mr. Glydon, however supports his point of view much, much better.

You lose.

jmeyn 07-24-2002 11:44 AM

Wait 24 Years...

and try changing the sprocket and chains of the F4i.

But the electronics will probably be working as well as ever.

cornercarver 07-24-2002 02:44 PM

I see your point, but it is certainly not always true. I heard an anecdote (I think courtesy of Douglas Adams) that says anything in production when you are born is second nature and taken for granted, anything produced before you are age 35 is fascinating and easily conquerable, and anything produced after you turn 35 is too complicated to bother with. Are you sure that you aren't falling prey to this concept?

For instance, there is a guy in Australia, who goes by the name of Wayne MacDonald, who reverse engineered the computer interface to the Sagem fuel injection computer installed in Triumph's T5 motorcycles (Daytonas, Speed triples, Sprints). That interface allows you to manipulate the fuel injection map, CO setting, take REAL TIME data from the bike as it runs, and lots of other stuff besides. The impression I get is that Wayne's software is significantly more functional (or at least flexible) than the software provided by the factory. I imagine that the cost is at least an order of magnitude less, as well. Wayne and other T5 users have contributed dozens of alternate fuel injection maps for various pipes and states of tune. Now that the Aprilia Futura ships with the same computer, Wayne has developed at least one alternate map that apparently provides a dramatic increase in performance on that machine. I am sure you could find equivalent enthusiasts that are experts with tuning a Power Commander. I would also hazard a guess that most of these folks are under the age of 35, and that most of them have never driven a carburetted 4 wheel vehicle, and many may not have dealt with carbs on their motorcycles.

The only bike I've ever owned with carburettors is a dirt bike, although I may be something of an exception. I frequently delve into the guts of my digital equipment of all kinds, sometimes to fix, but usually to modify or improve in some way, just like I do with my motorcycles. In fact, on sites such as slashdot (http://slashdot.org ), you'll find an entire community of people who not only take great joy in tearing into the guts of the hardware they own and modifying it for their own use, but will quite happily tear into the software if given the opportunity.

While the older generation might wish things to stagnate in order to provide a comfortable familiarity, it is the younger generation that always pushes technology into areas that older, more traditional practitioners never even dreamed of. You must either remain open minded to new ideas, or risk falling behind, forced to call your children to fix or replace that new fangled 'gadgit' they gave you last Christmas.