Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   The Objects of Our Affection (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1313-objects-our-affection.html)

jmeyn 07-23-2002 08:47 AM

I KNOW

That's why I posted to this thread. The best of us may read it and respond.

You guys don't have the resources to post on everything, so why not leverage your readership?

I've submitted my post to be editted as the basis of a new thread. Please use it to test the waters. The responses may uncover a much better class of correspondents.

Keep up the good work, El Flaco.

jmeyn 07-23-2002 09:00 AM

PS

I'm not talking about full fledged articles. I said "send your comments with a link to the content". The comments would be similar to a first response to MO content.

You should post instructions on including links in the post.

Do you understand? You would be leveraging not only the subscriber input but the best sources on the internet!

dparker99 07-23-2002 09:04 AM

Re: The Objects of Our Affection

Having recently read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig, there are many parallels to be drawn between the mechanical pleasures of owning and maintaining a motorcycle - and the technology that allows for a stock 900 cc engine to produce over 150 h.p. on your average crotch rocket. Just look at Triumph and the development of their Speed Triples- a few years ago it was carberators and air cooling - now you need a handheld computer to plug in to modify the tuning for the aftermarket end can you just installed.

I work as an engineer for an automotive parts manufacturer. The days of someone coming out of a trade school or graduating from highschool with the knowledge needed to maintain and repair modern milling and manufacturing equipment are coming to an end. There is too much electrical / computer / programming theory to be crammed into the normal mechanic / trade school curriculem. Although a mechanical engineer by background ( hence my love of motorcycles and the visceral satisfaction they produce by the forces acting inside the engine casings) my recent years have been spent in many weeks of training on electronics, machine programming, computer communication systems (aka Profibus) etc. It is not possible to escape it.

Although I would enjoy just using my tool box and a few wrenches to work on the machines in my mill (instead of a laptop, $10,000 worth of software, and my "Hot-Line" tech rep on the phone 3,000 miles away) I also realize the commercial advantages of processing 2.5 million lbs. of 24 different autoparts a month with only 17 operators. That's progress, better get on board.

johnnyb 07-23-2002 09:13 AM

Re: PS

You go, jmeyn. Quiet, Flaco.

johnnyb 07-23-2002 09:14 AM

Re: Bash other things...

What kind of bike you got? Madura?

sportbike_pilot 07-23-2002 09:20 AM

Re: The Objects of Our Affection

I read this article, went to the closet, got out my old Petax SP500, and shot a roll of Plus-X (getting hard to find). It's been years since I touched any of my old camera bodies. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to be so low tech as to actually develop your own prints. Nice.

In many endeavors the march of progress brings convenience at the expense of being rooted in the task at hand. The entire "black box" phenomenon of most high tech gadgets, while clearly superior in any purely technological sense, comes at a cost of emotional austerity. Put in another context: the fact that you can now make a phone call from the top of Mt. Everest takes a lot of the excitement out of going there, IMHO.

Any older pilots out there? Aviation is a field that has clearly evolved in leaps and bounds right along with tech advances in avionics. But I'd be interested in knowing how many of you would like to take a trip back to St. Exupery's days of mail flights over the Atlantic by ded reckoning just for the kick of doing it?

CHeers

spb

jmeyn 07-23-2002 09:22 AM

Re: PS

Thanks! More later.

jmeyn 07-23-2002 09:40 AM

You got that right

Great balance. Thanks!

Do you know my son, Sean Meyn? He's a full prof in E.E.

seruzawa 07-23-2002 09:58 AM

Re: Boy, you're really old

You make a good point. So many people believe that today's vehicles have "modern technology". What are the relatively new technologies in use? Electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition. Nearly everything else was developed prior to WWII and mostly by the 20's. That includes DOHC, water cooling, etc., etc. There even was mechanical fuel injection in use, though not in motorcycles, prior to WWII.

The manufacturers take decades to implement improvements and everyone calls the improvements "modern". What is modern is improved manufacturing techniques that make it cost effective to implement the design advancements. Of course, if you only dole out the improvements a little at a time you can get people to buy new vehicles before they other wise would. This is why computers and vehicles are only improved on a tiny basis every year. Planned obsolesence=repeat customers.

ValkBandit 07-23-2002 10:13 AM

Your mama's old.