Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Patrick Racing Road Star Warrior feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1310-patrick-racing-road-star-warrior-feedback.html)

Mikey 07-21-2002 02:42 PM

Re: Slightly different subject...

I think that is watercraft thing is just the general classification of Polaris the company.

KPaulCook 07-21-2002 02:47 PM

MO maybe needs a different direction huh.

I guess my expectations for this site have been lowered i.e. I stopped complaining. You definitely right to complain and I probably, like you, won't be renewing my subscription. I try to encourage them. I also thought the subscription model was iffy at best. Seems to me you would want as many hits on a site so you can show to advertisers etc. A subscription model discourages that big time. MO has the best web address. Perhaps they need to approach more investors etc. Evilgenius made a great point MO was better when it was free.

sqidbait 07-21-2002 03:41 PM

I *hope* it's a motorcycle... but it could also be a sled or a quad as well. Of course, maybe Polaris is doing a "synergy" thing, and the MSX is a two wheel amphibous quad with outriggers! :-)

FWIW...

http://www.pwctoday.com/mig.php?page...ticle_Pics/MSX

I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

-- Michael

maliblu65 07-21-2002 04:30 PM

I say it is a snowmobile. They are bigtime here in the Pacific Northwest/Montana,, people spend big dollars on them and the Fall is when a company would start marketing a new snowmobile.

mrDS 07-21-2002 06:10 PM

SV's can do dirt, can they wear a shaft ?

at www.svrider.com there are pics of a yellow SV650 modded up in Italy that is qite tall, the pics are in a photo gallery, one of the earliest general photo galleries, i'll try to post a more precise link later. I would like to see what it might cost to put shaft drive on an SV because it would bring those of us on Yamaha Visions something to drool for :-)

jmeyn 07-21-2002 06:35 PM

Please don't confuse torque with thrust...

Dyno charts show both power and torque charted against RPM.

If we're talking max power we're talking about the RPM at max power. The effective torque at the crankshaft can be computed at that RPM.

You can then multiply the effective torque by OA gear ratio and wheel radius in feet to get thrust (not torque) at the rear wheel.

Given dyno charts and wheel radius you can calculate max thrust easily at any given RPM in each gear. For SuperBikes max thrust is greater than bike/rider weight in the first two gears.

jmeyn 07-21-2002 06:41 PM

Sorry you are leaving...

What this site has going for it is the very forum you are abusing. We'll miss you I guess. Bye.

jmeyn 07-21-2002 06:57 PM

I expected more of you...

I have about 10 sites to get news from. This is the only one with a reasonably intelligent forum going on. I would think that a bunch of two-wheel enthusiasts could share their enthusiasms for a wide range of rides without all this flame.

MO can't get the clout it needs to get test bikes, introduction junkets and vendor cooperation it needs to keep the site going without significant client support and one paid hit is worth more to advertisers than a thousand random ones.

They have El Flaco now and more coming. Work in progress.

evilgenius 07-22-2002 04:38 AM

Living in northern MN, snowmobiling here is a way of life, with over 1/3 of the population in northern MN having a snowmobile or 2.

Having owned several sleds and bikes myself as well as a couple of ATVs and watercraft, I can tell you this - it's a motorcycle, period.

Just look at he gast tank - can you think of any snowmobiles having aluminum gas tanks? What about the fuel-filler cap? Don't you notice the notch that covers the keyhole?

And the headlamps - spaced too far apart for a snowmobile and doesn't go with the ergonomical flow of a snowmobile.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words but I'm about, say %70-75 percent sure...I think... :-)

seruzawa 07-22-2002 04:45 AM

Re: SV's can do dirt, can they wear a shaft ?

Heck, back in the 60s they used to run Sportsters off-road. Try and compete on either V-Twin today.