Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-18-2002, 03:33 PM   #81
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: 40 mph top speed

Oh thats good LOL
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2002, 03:37 PM   #82
wilmilan
Founding Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with you people!?

I agree completely: If one is willing to set aside the conventional motorcycle mindset, little scooters can be lots of fun. But you have to think of them as a different kind of vehicle, not as just another motorcycle, which they really are not.

A while back I spent a couple of weeks on a 50cc Honda scooter and thought it was a blast. Yes, it was insanely slow, but once I set aside the muscle-bike mindset it was fun to try to zip around in traffic without having lots of power on tap. I found that the trick was to get a jump off the line and conserve momentum. As a pilot it reminded me of flying a Piper Cub --a tiny airplane with a tiny engine that can nevertheless do all kinds of things (including aerobatics) *if* one is willing to learn its ways, learn a bit of patience, and learn to fly it with finesse instead of power.

C'mon, people, the world of two wheels is a lot more than mindless competition for ever more power and speed, if one is willing to be open enough to appreciate it.

Wil M.

Old 07-18-2002, 03:39 PM   #83
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: 2003 Yamaha Zuma Reader Feedback

Sportbike Mafia good one. The Sportbike Mafia vs the Grey Pony Tailed Brotherhood vs Biffy and his scooter/pooter pals. Just kidding.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:49 PM   #84
KPaulCook
Banned

LOL You think we could build a scooter out of DR Chipper as seen on TV on Speed channel. I would love to see a dirt bike comparo/review. Hell at this point I would even take a review on a Harley. Were a tough bunch to please I know.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:38 PM   #85
Mooner
Founding Member

Does anybody have any recomendations on who makes the best aftermarket pipe(s) for this thing?
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:49 AM   #86
biggsly5000
Registered Member

50 cc's?! Gas is not THAT expensive, 125cc's would not seem too unreasonable personally, and you might have enough power to avoid being run down by a kia, well maybe not.
biggsly5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:14 AM   #87
blackburd
Founding Member

Default Give me a break

Motorcycle Daily posted the press flack on the new Ducati 999. They didn't test it. They probably didn't even see it.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:56 AM   #88
dcopp
Founding Member

Default Scooters and growing up??

Like a couple of the different posts here, I started out on a moped and a scooter of various makes and worked my way up to motorcycles. Now that I have bigger, faster motorcycles, I find myself hopping on my neighbors Honda scooter and buzzing around the neighborhood as fast as the little thing can go, just to make the dogs bark and I laugh and laugh. Scooters were fun when I was 12 and they are fun at, well, 36. I did not like the Yamaha Razz that I rode on vacation around the island simply because it was too slow for that, but I understand from a couple friends who own Aprilia scooters, that they are the cats meow. They drive them around San Fran daily, and have no trouble keeping up with, or passing traffic. I think that if Yamaha and the rest want the scooter market to make it in the US, they do need to be at least 125cc and/or be able to cruise at 50 or so. That 35-40 mph just won't get it 'round here. The current "scooter" in my stable is a 1983 Kawasaki KZ250, about the same size as the larger scooters, and faster to boot... sorta, but I keep looking at the Aprilia's... They just look cool. Or maybe a MuZ 125. Anyway, I rambled on about all this just to say that youse guys that are *****in' about this being a MOTORCYCLE site, need to remember where you started out, be it scooters, mopeds, or dirt bikes, and that most of us had variations of all three through our lives. A little touch back to the roots ain't a bad thing, and most of the time, it's just down right fun.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 04:00 AM   #89
rls4691
Founding Member

Default Re: Quick rundown for this year's 600 test

Thanks! Your diatribe was more interesting to me than the review of the liquor-cycle.

On the review written. Looking through the archives, I don't see many reviews of scooters. The article, while nicely written, leaves the reader to discern who competes with the bike and what any comparison would yield. I would have liked the writer to have included some commentary on competitors to the bike and a conclusion as to where it fits. I'm not asking for a full blown comparison but enough to establish the context. I'd like to see this in every review listed, but especially those where the average MO reader isn't likely to have much context to draw upon.

AS for your review. Things I've learned....

Japanese built 600s represent all the 600s available to the market. Past reviews have been performed when only one player changed, and at least one player has changed this year.

Someone older than my 8 year old daughter thinks he has to capitalize words to make a point.

Reviews should be left to professionals.

Relax.
rls4691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 04:03 AM   #90
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Quick rundown for this year's 600 test

A friend of mine had a '73 XS650 that had been sitting for a couple of years. In exchange for his IT175 I made his 650 roadworthy again. I did a good shakedown on it before I delivered it to him. Honestly I was unimpressed with its really primitive suspension, wallowing in the turns, and its marginal brakes. Still, it was cool to putt down the street with that neat old exhaust note.

Sure, the Yamaha was a decent bike for its time. But is simply totally outclassed by an SV650, IMHO. Another problem with keeping one of those old XS650s is that Yamaha has discontinued many of the parts. There are still lots of parts in m/c junkyards though.

But if I want to ride an antique, I'd rather ride a shovelhead.