Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-18-2002, 05:12 AM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Quick rundown for this year's 600 test

Ok here goes: They are all 2 lbs lighter, 1 mph faster and have Bold New Graphics. WAAAAAAY better handling and MUUUUUCHO better in EVVVVVVVERY WAY! The new ones can lap the track .00000001 faster than last year, even though you couldn't duplicate those times in a million years, and oh yeah they are 50 bucks cheaper to boot. Now you absolutlely HAVE to run out and get one before they sell out and you are stuck with the junk 600 you bought last year. Well, that pretty much sums it up for this year. Just wait for the Supersport season to end and tell all the d00ds that you got the one that won the championship! That's the test in a nutshell.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2002, 05:27 AM   #42
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default recent scooter convert

I recently rebuilt the carb on my friends Helix. He dropped it off a month ago, I fixed it the first night. Been riding it daily since and now I don't want to give it back. I'd never ridden a scooter before, but man I love it. My kids like to ride on it with me and they never liked riding on the back of my bigger bikes. I can't explain why, but it is a lot of fun. This Helix is kind of big (250cc ?) and probably better suited to the burbs than a Zuma as it will go almost 70. I only went that fast once, it's more relaxing at lower speeds. It's great for buzzing to the grocery store for a bag of groceries or just cruising the neighborhood.

anyway, my point: Don't knock it till you try it.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:56 AM   #43
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default Re: Rant (con't)

Didn't we learn anything from the Volusia feed back?
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:01 AM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Quick rundown for this year's 600 test

Heh heh. Longride, you are just too cruel.

I was looking over quarter-mile times of the new bikes and then I looked at one of my old Cycle Worlds and noticed that these times have changed hardly one whit since Suzuki's original power monster the GS1100/1150E of the 80's.

I'm not complaining, these guys who spend buckets of money repeatedly for negligibly better motorcycles keep the manufacturers profitable enough to occaisionally try something different.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:20 AM   #45
intruderman
Founding Member

Default I like the occasional scooter review...

I just bought a 1999 Zuma II two months ago and just sold it a week ago on Ebay. It was a little fun while I had it. I just bought it out of curiousity, intending to resell it from day one. My 1999 model handled like crap and could only manage 35 mph. Anyway, they're great for pit bikes or campground putting. But....it'll never replace my motorcycle. Thanks for the review.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:22 AM   #46
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Yamaha Zuma Reader Feedback

Amen to that. If a scooter is good enough for Rossi to use as transportation, then I guess I can stoop down to his level of riding skill and use one too.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:29 AM   #47
NavyBueller
Founding Member

Default Scooters are like fat girls...

...they are both fun to ride until one of your friends sees you.
NavyBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:30 AM   #48
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: No scooters for this born in the USA kid.

I found my Kymco Cobra scooter to be a perfect compliment to my big bikes. Stock, it would only do 30mph, but to de-restrict it cost only $40, and that was the dealer charge for labour, the new variator pulley was free. Then all I had to do was unplug a green connector that controlled the speed restrictor and I had a scoot that did 50 mph. I lived in Venice CA, and with its huge underseat storage capacity that was the only bike I rode around LA. Of course I stayed off the freeways, and used surface streets to get around but due to LA congestion it was much quicker to get around town than a car or most large bikes, which would be too wide to fit through a lot of gaps. Fantastic fun, plus it looked a heck of a lot better than the Zuma. The acid test was to cruise down Main Street, Santa Monica. There, no-one looks at bikes no matter what you ride as everyone knows how jaded LA people are. But cruising on the scooter brought smiles and waves from tons o' chicks! Not that that should influence anyone.... If I was going to buy another one, it would definitely be a Derbi Atlantis. Looks way cool plus it's cheap! As an aside, it's a little sad that MO publishes this test when this version has been out for over a year, while other sites beat them to the punch with the 999 Ducati, the new Buell Firebolt based street-fighter etc etc.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:40 AM   #49
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters are like fat girls...

Sounds like you are speaking from experience.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:46 AM   #50
Huss
Founding Member

Default KPaulCook in love with Burns?

I'm sure if Burnsie wrote something nice about scooters, KPaulDork would instantly change his tune....