Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-16-2002, 12:03 PM   #11
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default So which school is the best?

And please, no lame answers like, "It depends on what you want to learn." Where would my money best be spent, with Code, Pridmore, or Schwantz?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2002, 12:38 PM   #12
bharriet
Founding Member

Default Re: So which school is the best?

K. Code gets my money(Im level 4). But I live in San Jose and can get to Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Thunderhill easily. Keith is the best instructor and has a proven track record of training riders to become better. The lean bike and NOBS bikes are worth the price of admission. I use his school bikes (ZX-6R prepared) at an additional cost of $295/day. I havent been to any of other schools, but have heard comments from other students that Code school is more professional and they learned more.
bharriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:53 PM   #13
96sp
Registered Member

I tend to only respect people that deserve repect on the track, so what did Keith Code ever win?
96sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #14
AzizaVFR
Founding Member

If you look over Keith Code's biography (http://www.superbikeschool.com/us/ke...code_bio.shtml), you will see he has not been a racer, but a teacher to a good number of racing winners, and other organizations.

If you are looking for the best racing instructor, I would look either at Kevin or Fast Freddie. If you want lots of real world riding experience to draw upon, Reg Pridmore is your man.

Enjoy,

AzizaVFR
AzizaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:12 PM   #15
Donkeyjyna
Founding Member

Default Re: Kevin Schwantz Racing School

I took the Schwantz school back in March, and learned a lot of new techniques. It also reenforced several others I had picked up along they way. It was my first race track experience. Just being able to follow those guys around the track helped me tremendously. My riding has improved 500% since and two weeks ago I had my first real amatuer race. I did very well, to my surprise. There's no way I would've been ready for that without the school experience. Now I'm completely hooked. Thanks Kevin.
Donkeyjyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:20 AM   #16
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Gravity Cavity

Great prose! Where did you get it? You can think of a race lap as one long beautiful space warp!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:23 AM   #17
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Or Freddy Spencer

Don't forget the main man!
Old 07-17-2002, 04:57 AM   #18
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Gravity Cavity

I'm not sure what your question is, exactly, but....

The "Gravity Cavity" was a feature of the old track layout. It was a big valley at the end of the back straight. You'd be flying down the long back straight, and then the track would just sort of fall away from you, not enought to catch air or anything, but giving just a bit fo that floating feeling. Just about the time you'd mentally recovered from that, you were pressed down hard against the bike as it climbed back up the other side. The Gravity Cavity.

It was great fun at my lowly speeds, but apparently it was pretty dangerous at race pace, so they completely rearranged the track a few years ago.

Here is a link to some on-bike footage from CLASS. The link labeled "Vintage Road Atlanta" shows "1997 footage of Jason on a VFR750 - 140 through the Gravity Cavity." I could only get my VFR750 to about 125-130 before I chickened out and started braking to enter the gravity cavity.

The following description of the track changes comes from http://www.amasuperbike.com/atlanta98.htm

"The Road Atlanta racetrack has changed in many ways since the series last visited there. The frighten-you-to-your-bones Gravity Cavity is gone, replaced now with a chicane. In addition, the track itself has been widened and re-paved. Most found the changes favorable and as to whether it improved the racing or not--in a word, yes. The racetrack rewards precision and bravery, less so now than before the Cavity was removed. There are two decent straights at Road Atlanta so those with power will be rewarded, plus the track has just one racing line in places so getting a good start is very important. "

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:37 AM   #19
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Space Warp

Thanks for your full response and the great links.

I meant that in a way, every corner is a gravity cavity. In fact, every change in acceleration including elevation changes is a gravity cavity. We're warping space, das!
Old 07-17-2002, 06:44 AM   #20
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Kevin Schwantz Racing School

Actually, send him to Sturgis on a GSXR600. That should generate heat!