Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-05-2002, 11:35 AM   #1
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

Its just so refreshing to see not another clone...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2002, 11:48 AM   #2
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Oh my God!

OMG, they liked it. Despite being a Triumph and having an underpowered motor... they actually liked it!

Smart-a$$ comments aside, I did like it too when I test rode it, but it needs torque (a lot of torque) for me to really enjoy it. It runs smooth and the handling was (IMO) at least as good as that of the Mean Streak (only lighter!) but it desperately needs more torque. It's not cheap either.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 11:49 AM   #3
TDHorton
Founding Member

I commend Mr. Burns and Minime on their objectivity. The review covered this bike *as a cruiser*, rather than trying to measure it against sport bike standards. That's certainly good enough for me.
TDHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh my God!

Oh, and I have to complain about the lack of a tachometer and the spongy feel of the brake lever that's not present on any of the other Triumph models.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
Huss
Founding Member

Did the heat shields fall off the headers at the 90 degree bend or is it meant to look like that?
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:24 PM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

Hats off to triumph for trying, but they have such a rich heritige of beautiful designs of they're own it's a shame they have to go a sticking fat rear fender and struts on this one, the front fork is a little wide looking too, While it's not a harley clone, it's definately got the cruiser pork, they should expand on the new Bonnie style or something like a Norton Commando style, Brit bikes got popular because they were'nt big fat Harley's or Injun's. and they ran and handled better, Maybe they could build a retro Vincent or something, I guess I just don't get the cruiser trip or somthing, except the yamaha warrior, thats passable...My own opinion, [and we know what they're like ]
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:18 PM   #7
Lunatic
Founding Member

Whats the pricetag? I'd love to see a comparison between this and the Moto Guzzi Stone. those are about the only two cruisers left that aren't trying to be somethign they aren't.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:28 PM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The very first street bike I ever owned after many years in the dirt was a 72 Bonnie. I followed that up with a 76 many years later. I don't remember Triumph Bonneville heritage EVER being a "cruiser". They were sporting bikes that were lean and fast. Could be made leaner and faster very easily too. This is a response to the "cruisers sell" idea of production, and this one is about as real as Triumph's 100th anniversary. First, they forgot they went out of business, next, they forgot their heritage. Harley was always about cruisers and that success brings us the Triumph America. Bring on a lean, mean streetfightin' Bonnie and I will have a good look at that one.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:56 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Default An open apology to Cruiser types.

After reading about Lord Burn's own bias against cruisers, I reflected on the source of my bias. Maybe there is hope for me and my bias is a function of age and experience. I apology for using the word Chumps to describe Cruiser owners. It was definitely immature to suggest that someone who purchased a bike without the latest components and technology (i.e. the motorcycle equivalent of 68 Impala or as Burns says a 70s land yaht )was geting taken. This Truimph Cruiser appeals to me because it is different than Harley but has certain timeless/classic look about it. i.e it grows on me. The BMW cruiser has a similar effect on me. Sorry Cruiser guys, this punk squid has a lot to learn. Funny it took a Bitter Little Man to open my eyes
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:35 PM   #10
waldopepper66
Founding Member

I am not a 'cruiser' fan. BUT, I love the America styling. The vertical twin is meshed in with a today's market styling that actually has me thinking I might own a cruiser. Hey, it's not perfect. NO motorcycle reviewed has ever been perfect for every person. In the world of compromise to make a motorcycle sell (and make a company profitable) this one I think is a big thumbs up. If my local dealer is any indication (all sold out) then a few folks out there must be hip on this bike too! Guess I'll wait until next year and maybe a few of the bugs might be worked out.
waldopepper66 is offline   Reply With Quote