Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-10-2002, 05:01 AM   #81
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default I think there is

Is there really any such thing as a bad motorcycle?

I think that the following faults characterize a bad motorcycle:

1) Inability to lean 45 degrees under load: Dangerous.

2) Irregular, non-linear power delivery: Dangerous

3) Non-linear or fading brakes: Dangerous

You can argue that these deficiencies are only dangerous if you ride beyond the limitations of yourself or the bike. Sometimes though, you round a blind corner into a speed-up, slow-down or turn .. right now .. situation. Any of the above items can then kill you.

Given this, there are lots of bad motorcycles out there.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2002, 07:10 AM   #82
reggler
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

okay, so you figured it out, i AM an old guy. the truth is i like v-twins but h-d doesn't impress me. but it's all a matter of choice. what i would really like is a v-twin sport tourer with shaft or belt drive. harley has the power plant with the v-rod, now if they will just take the next step i may become a convert. I hear they are experimenting with the buell but to me the buell is just butt-ugly.

for a cruiser my streak will, as they say in the south, "haul the mail" but my triple digit days are long past. at age 50 my mortality has become very real. so hats off to all you guys still young enough to scrape your knees, i hope you're having a blast.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 07:34 AM   #83
runner00
Founding Member

web site says the seat height is 28.3.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:12 AM   #84
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: I think there is

Don't even get me started with this one!
Old 07-10-2002, 09:29 AM   #85
Poser
Founding Member

Default Now I understand

That is a good point- the 600 class is a really tough one. I like my bike and am glad Triumph made it, but you are absolutely right about it being a money pit. Ducati avoided it with their V-twin 748, even though it is essentially the same class. Triumph are putting money into streetfighters- the S3 and S4. Maybe they will use the standard Bonnie engine as a basis for other bikes, maybe a Speed Twin.

My guess about the real purpose of the Bonnie America is dealer support. In order to have a strong dealer network, they need to build enough different kinds of bikes that a Triumph dealership makes economic sense. You don't sell a Speed Triple to just anyone, after all. We can argue about the products that they are using to do that, but I am happy to see them do it. It is similar to what Triumph should have done 30 years ago, along with replacing worn out machinery. Then there might be a lot less discussion about whether Triumph is really Triumph or not.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:33 AM   #86
Poser
Founding Member

We are... Even though I am already well over 40!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 05:11 PM   #87
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Now I understand

You guys make some good points, maybe the B.A. will be a money maker for them, I guess thats what counts from a corporate p.o.v. I'd like to see them continue w/ the 600, just so they have some kind of entry in that class, I think most buyers would realize they're not going to be beating GSXR's and buy it as a fun 600 and ride it for what it is, the reality is the more market area they can cover, the stronger they are going to be. btw did you see the sprint RS.S in motorcyclist? thats the kind of bike I'd be in line for..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 05:48 PM   #88
TriumphantTriple
Founding Member

Default Re: Cafe'd Bonnie

The thing I would like to see for the Bonnie is an after-market exhaust system that takes the pipes up along the left side of the bike like the old TR6C Triumphs. I don't mind doing modifications myself to a bike, but designing, fabricating, chroming an exhaust system for a one-off copy seems like a lot of time, energy and money. My brother just got done designing and building a great looking system for the new Ducati Hailwood and has recouped some of his expense by making more copies and selling them. Hmmm. Anybody else out there interested in a TR6C style exhaust for the new Bonnie?
TriumphantTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:39 PM   #89
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Firebolt.

I hope they will be a collectors item because it will be the bike that turns the corner for Buell vs. another DeLorean. In any case I think you are right. I'll take mine in Blue please with some American flag decals on the side.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:45 PM   #90
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Now I understand

Hey maybe they can go for the Norton Villers heritage angle and call it a Norton Villers America, or N.V.A. for short { get it ? get it?} a total '70,s trip huh? Purple haze, all in my brain..........
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote