Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-08-2002, 08:30 AM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Bonnie America Experience

That's correct. The old solid-rear-end Trumpets had a little toolbox there. As did the Harleys.

Don't leave home without it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2002, 08:41 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

Didn't Norton try this too? I seem to recall that they put out a bike during their last year or two which was just a Commando with a step seat and a really funky looking pair of pull back handlbars. It was the dumbest looking thing this side of a Ducati Indiana.

'Course the Commando (I had a '72 750 briefly) was such an unreliable machine that nothing could have saved it from the Japanese onslaught. Lucas positive ground fer crissakes!

Building one cruiser-style bike in a desperate attempt to avoid bankruptcy and ruin hardly qualifies as a "heritage".
Old 07-08-2002, 08:56 AM   #53
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh yeah, I found a picture of the Norton HiRider.

Have a nice chuckle.

http://www.vagn-jensen.dk/vjm01.htm
Old 07-08-2002, 08:59 AM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah Seruzawa, Norton did make a bike like that now that you shook my memory. It was called the Hi-Rider or some such nonsense. Half apes and a step seat and all the vomit you could muster. I did have a 72 Combat Commando and many fond memories of it. What ever happened to the famous Norton comback story? Never kept track of it.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:14 AM   #55
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Triumph's been making a hot stripped down performance *triple* for several years now. That was something they also made in the Lucas days (or, more correctly, the Meriden days) but today's Speed Triple has all those things you were talking about corrected too. AND it's hot by today's standards not the 60's or 70's. Okay, a few Japanese bikes are a tad hotter but they have all the character of a Sanyo foot massager. The Speed Triple is truly unique. So what are you waiting for?
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:43 AM   #56
mconlon
Founding Member

Posting way down in the basement of the comment list...

Triumph did dig deep in their nostalgia vault for inspiration on this thing--someone said it already, but here it is again: their original Speed Twin. The lines are plain to see, the only thing that would have made it spot on are lower bars, footpegs under the seat, and a soft-tail-esque suspension. As it is, it evokes this legendary design with modern sensibility and necessary cost-cutting measures. Misnamed a bonneville, perhaps, but still from Triumph's past.

Speaking of the Bonneville... My (non-riding) wife saw one the other day and commented, "Say, who's making a real bike again?" Tired of plastic and cruisers, her favorite bike of all the ones I've owned was a '76 BMW R90/6, and the Bonneville is the one that does it for her nowadays. Now if only I can convice her that she needs one to learn to ride on...

Mike C

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:45 AM   #57
badinfluence
Founding Member

I like the bike. Its a cruiser that is not the standard cruiser fair, and retro bikes are cool. Period. Makes the same horsepower as an 883 Sportster and I wouldn't have to worry about which black H-D dealership T-shirt to wear when riding it. If I had an extra $8,000 I'd plunk it down on a Bonneville, but I think it would be the standard model with the 12 extra ponies.
badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 01:50 PM   #58
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: An open apology to Cruiser types.

I rode an Electra Glide for a couple of days and had a blast. It was slow, ran hot, dragged hard parts, had lousy brakes, and was an absolute hoot. I don't want one, but renting one when my real bike goes in for service is something I will look forward to from now on. If it has two wheels, it is fun!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:01 PM   #59
Poser
Founding Member

Default Who needs heratage?

I bought a Triumph because I like the bike, not because it is a Triumph. I was a Suzuki rider before I test rode a TT600. Who needs heratage, anyway, if you like the bike? When you think about it, Triumph is behaving very much in character- they built the advanced bikes of their time in the '50s and '60s. They are building advanced bikes again, and some of them are quirky triples. The fact that they also make bikes to fill other niches is just proof that they are serious about reestablishing themselves.

If you think about it, Harley Davidson has some racing heratage, some really dreadful AMF years, and a time when they built advanced bikes. You can support or attack anything using selected parts of any company's past. Harley Davidson is successful and the Japanese companies have been successfuly cloning Harleys. At least the Triumph doesn't look like a Harley.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:04 PM   #60
Poser
Founding Member

Default Collector's Items

No bike I ever own will be a collector's item. They have a whole lot of miles on them when I am done with them! Keep me away from Firebolts, Royal Wedding Bonnies, etc. unless you want 'em thrashed.