Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-07-2002, 04:01 PM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

Ahh yes, the last gasp of a dying company. I saw one in person when I was a kid at one of the last surviving Triumph only shops in the Chicago area. Not sure "chopper" applies, and it certainly wasn't a Bonnie America. Not even close. I give you a comment from John Bloor himself: "Everyone today is building world bikes for the whole planet, but Harley-Davidson's success and profits have come from swimming against this current. It's time for Triumph to swim in the same direction, developing different bikes based on the same platform."

That quote tells me 2 things. One, I was right about them emulating Harley by producing this. Two, they will continue to emulate them until Harley is no longer successful. Obviously Harley heritage and success is more important to John than Triumph's heritage.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2002, 06:17 PM   #42
vnsfxr
Founding Member

Bonneville Racer :

Si ça, c'est pas du Café Racer, alors je ne sais pas ce qu'est un café racer...

Here ya go longride. Follow this link to see a couple Bonneville's dressed as you would like to see them.

http://www.chez.com/chevaliernoir/moto/mecatwin.htm

photos rapportées par emoto.com, prises lors du Mondial du deux roues 2001.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:43 PM   #43
bigj_1
Registered Member

John:

Conway Twitty pompadour? IN YOUR DREAMS!

BTW, thanx again for the part in my decision to buy the R1150R. It actually has 500 miles with no leaks, which is great, 'cause the Buell's tranny is going south with 38.5k miles.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:20 PM   #44
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default C'est magnifique!

Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:19 AM   #45
jbriley3
Founding Member

Is your staff so thin that you need to have a guy that hates cruisers eval. a cruiser? And we have to read in detail why he hates them? Gimme a break!
jbriley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:34 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I can't speak French, but THOSE are what I was talking about. I ran across an old pic of my 72 that I turned into a street tracker. Wish I could post pics here so you could see it. If Triumph could only follow thier own course, I believe they would be successful with it. I'm afraid they are just going to follow the Harley way and not make their own path. Sad really.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:43 AM   #47
seruzawa
The Toad

I always liked Triumphs when I was riding back in the 60's and 70's. The best thing about the new Bonnevilles is that unlike the old ones, they actually run and run and run without major repairs, constant maintenance, Lucas (Prince of Darkness) problems, massive vibration, frequent trips home in the back of a pickup truck, top end rebuilds every 20K miles, and the host of ills that were probably the real cause of the demise of the Britbikes.

Triumph needs to come up with a hot stripped down performance twin that was their true forte' all those years ago. Now THAT would be tempting.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:58 AM   #48
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: An open apology to Cruiser types.

Once you try out a Motard style bike you'll be hooked. I took out my (now) brothers KLR to charge up the battery on saturday. I was grinning ear to ear the whole ride. I forgot how much fun that bike was. On the slab you get a bit of a cruiser feel (pause before flaming) as the loud vibrating single pulses away beneath you. Also you slow down since they lack the top end but once the road gets twisty its time to rail. Cornering speeds are crazy fast with all the lean angle in the world. Granted there is no top end rush but you really learn to keep the speed up in the corners. Funny how fast you can corner on a bike that weighs in around 300lbs instead of the 600lbs my BMW hefts around.

KTM, where the hell is the LC8!?!?!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 05:59 AM   #49
12er
Founding Member

Good point!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 06:37 AM   #50
Twisted
Founding Member

SlowBear,

Triumph did produce the unsuccessful "Hurricane". However it can hardly be called a "chopper' or 'cruiser'. It was more an attempt at a sporty bike with the orange "plastic' bodywork and upswept triple pipes.

The Triumph America is an attempt to capture a piece of the cruiser market. Why not?...it's a large, profitable market. I just don't understand why...guess I really don't understand cruisers.

I see them around town, often making a lot of noise and really not going very fast but they do look cool...and I think to myself, 'I like them'!

I also see them on twisty two-lane mountain roads, generally in a long line, going SO slow and holding up traffic (cages even). To pass we must try to pick our way through the hourd/herd (that seems to upset 'em) or hope for a straight stretch (hopefully without a cage in front of us doing his/her best to pass the creeping mass) then go WAY over the 'ton' to get around the line of 'road-litter' (that seems to scare 'em)...and I think to myself, 'I HATE them'!

Twisted

Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote