Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-07-2002, 12:31 AM   #31
beryl
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

It's out of that price range, but the BMW cruisers seem to be going their own way, as well.
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2002, 12:34 AM   #32
beryl
Founding Member

I see - post a comment, go back to the comments page, and hit refresh, and your comment is posted twice.
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #33
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Volusia

Isn't that the name of the bile that you gag out at the end of a projectile vomiting session after drinking way too much? I know for a fact that it looks better than the suzuki cruiser.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:45 AM   #34
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Firebolt.

I'm going to try and demo one at Sturgis in a few weeks and will give my impression. Albeit from a non-sportbike rider.

I'll bet that Firebolts will be collector items in the future.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:55 AM   #35
vnsfxr
Founding Member

Ahem, a man steadfast in his knowledge and beliefs.

Closest Hinckley has come to the bike your looking for maybe the Thunderbird Sport?

Although it has 3 not 2 cylinders.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:57 AM   #36
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Just do a demo ride first...

I'm largely anti-cruiser because well, they handle like crap. I did a demo on the BMW cruiser, and the sidestand tinged on the ground, doing a tight left turn onto the freeway. The ground clearance was PATHETIC.

Now I'm a relaxed rider. If anyone has a "cruiser temperment", sit back, relax, enjoy the view, I do. But I'd never buy a cruiser. Its not a matter of "latest and greatest" components, its a matter of a basic lack in an important area: handling, due to the fundimental design which limits ground clearance. Not to mention, feet out and too low is pretty uncomfortable to me.

I believe in trusting the bike, that it should be able to do anything I could conceivably want or need in the handling department. If the turn needs to be tighter because of some obstacle, the bike should just do it without complaint.

And I wonder how many of the cruiser riders really understand the handling, and comfort, they are giving up to look cool?

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 12:15 PM   #37
Kuba
Founding Member

As a former Bonnie 650 rider I can kind of understand the rehashed Bonnie as something for those who would like to relive the classic bike bit without the oil leaks. etc and at a serene pace more befitting to advancing years. The America version I must admit I wouldn't go for since no cruiser type bike could ever appeal to me personally, but each to their own and so no criticism intended of those who choose that route. Also, if it enables Triumph to survive in order to produce the Daytona and, especially, the Speed Triple (which was close second to my Beemer R1150R) then good luck to them.

The thing I don't understand is the comparison of old and new Bonnies. The true successor to the original is not the new model. It is (possibly) the Speed Triple and (more likely IMHO) 'busa, Gixer, etc.

The Bonnie (with some easy tweaking) was pretty much the fastest, best handling, pegs down, most accessible, loudest hooligan bike of its time. That's the standard. Same mind set, better bikes.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Kuba
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 02:21 PM   #38
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Just do a demo ride first...

HAH! LOL!

...for some of us the obvious answer is, well, of COURSE we do...

In '00 I bought a Suzi 1400 intruder, after 25 years riding cafe racers and sport bikes (I guess you could add standards to, but when I started riding, EVERY bike came "standard", heh!)

What I have found is that I ride the 1400 just like every other bike I owned, still beating the crap out of it, lousy ground clearance and everything - although, it actually has MORE ground clearance than my '77 GT750 Water Buffalo ever wished it had - you just gotta modify your riding style...oddly enough, and, more than any other bike i've owned, the intruder insists that you crawl all over it, like a sidehack monkey, and make it go where you want it too...it makes you adapt, and learn, and become more creative with your riding...

THAT's the challenge of cruisers, for sporty bike types... umm, who aren't caught up in the predictable sportbike snobbery.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 02:27 PM   #39
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Bonnie America Experience

Those clompy and annoyingly heavy footpeg brackets on the Bonnie Vespucciland are meant to evoke the tool box on the original spring-hub Triumph Speed Twin. Circa '47 or something...

check it out, you'll see what I mean.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 04:20 PM   #40
SlowBear
Founding Member

Longride,

Well written, well reasoned and all but still wrong. Triumph did produce a factory chopper/ custom/ whatever you call it.

See: http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Hurricane.html for more information on the (original) Triumph custom.

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote