Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-05-2002, 02:46 PM   #11
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonneville America Reader Feedback

Isn't there a factory Bonnie cafe special in the works?
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2002, 02:54 PM   #12
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: An open apology to Cruiser types.

KPaul, I always had faith in ya - nice to see you exercising an accepting and open mind. Cheers, bro!
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:44 PM   #13
mxgb5
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonnie America Experience

I had a chance to ride the Bonnie America during the Triumph demo rides at Sears Point earlier this year (at the Historic Motorcycle Races). Frankly, I rode this bike because all of the other Triumphs were already signed out for the day and, heck, I'd rather ride the cruiser than nothing at all.

Anyway, the bike I rode had the factory "off road" pipes and jet kit. These seemed to give it a lot more power than the stock model you rode in this test... but they were REALLY loud.

The amazing thing to me was that I also had a chance to ride the BMW R1200C at BMW's demo tent a few minutes later over the same 20 mile route. Again, the cruiser was the only bike not already signed out from the test fleet.

The BMW cost nearly twice as much as the Triumph, vibrated more, felt slower and heavier and had a much worse ride... especially from the harsh rear suspension.

This comparision made me appreciate the Triumph more except for the horrible riding position. At 5'6" I should be a perfect target audience member for a low-slung cruiser like this. However, most of these bikes insist on sticking the foot pegs way out in front. Inseam-challenged riders like me are especially uncomfortable with this, as I actually found that I needed to pick myself off of the seat to reach the brake pedal! And 5'6" isn't THAT short.

I'm not a fan of the styling of the Bonneville America, especially those heavy-looking rear foot-peg brackets, either. For my money, the regular Bonneville looks much better and is much more comfortable.

mxgb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:54 PM   #14
ARTBIZTOMMY
Founding Member

meant to look like that....factory cornercutting
ARTBIZTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:54 PM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

If you care to expand your knowledge a little further, you'll find that the classic timeless triumph look is most deffinatly not a cruiser, though they did make a faired in cop bike way back when, your sport bike is the desendent of the cafe style that copied race bikes of the time when triumph, BSA, and Enfield were the hot bikes to have, Check out Caferacer.com for some cool old photos and background on the whole scene, or else go to Teddy's on Roosevelt Ave. and check out some cool Brit bikes from the V.M.E. I think it's the 3 rd thursday or something, sit back, sip a beer [or pop] and get educated young man.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:58 PM   #16
ARTBIZTOMMY
Founding Member

Default Re: Bonnie America Experience

i'm with you on the rear footpeg bracket thing...it looks like the pegs are growing out of the cover of a toolbox or something. definately doesn't look like something i'd want to trust my girlfriend's gorgeous legs to. after the off road pipes and a jet kit, that's the next thing that'd have to be changed.
ARTBIZTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 04:15 PM   #17
dwr461
Founding Member

Cheers KPaul. Good for you.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 06:43 PM   #18
vnsfxr
Founding Member

Maybe you were not around in the '60s to see all the chopped and bobbed Triumphs and BSA's that were on the road at that time and still could be seen on the road in the '70s.

Triumph does have a history with what is now termed as a cruiser.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:29 AM   #19
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Triumph heritage?

I originally wanted to post this HERE, not in the TT600 section...

What's wrong with the Triumph heritage? Why not a scrambler style standard with high pipes? Or go back to the drawing board on the Bonneville and make it more like the W650? The Japanese Big 4 would give their left nut to have a nostagic and heritage invoking brand name like Triumph to slap on their retros. Triumph has it (A classic name that will make boomers empty their wallets), but they are wasting it by trying to out-tech the Japanese or build cruisers.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 03:49 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Well, bobbers aren't cruisers. They were more like stripped street/dirt machines. People made choppers out of Honda 750 fours too. Does that make Honda have a "history" of choppers too? Not sure what kind of "history" you mean. The old Meridan Triumph factory didn't, and never would have made this. Harley invented the cruiser with the Superglide back in 72. Sportster came out n the 50s. Why no copies from Truimph? Because inline fours were on the way and Triumph was busy developing a triple. Cruisers were never in the plans for anyone but Harley. Then Harley hits it big with cruisers and the copies come out of the woodwork. Sorry to disagree, but Triumph heritage was built on nimble sporting machines. Their answer to a Sportster was a Bonnie, and to the Superglide a Trident. Their answer to Harley sales success is the Bonneville America.