Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-05-2002, 05:37 AM   #71
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Four feedback

Way back when a buddy of mine stumbled onto a works Elsinor, 76 I believe (memory isnt the steel trap it used to be). To this day that was the most insane 250 I have ever ridden. It hit harder than the 88 CR 500.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2002, 06:01 AM   #72
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

1979 Honda XL-125S
Old 07-05-2002, 06:05 AM   #73
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: The 1/4 mile numbers from MO for year 2000 600ss

For the record... I don't own an 1100cc shaft driven anything. I do however, own a 5900cc Shaft Driven pick-up.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:15 AM   #74
12er
Founding Member

Thats a damn good choice, though still hotter than most would recommend for a first bike. Now is this your First bike or your first street bike? If you have had years of dirt experiance I wouldnt think too much of your first choices. As then you would just have to adjust to the perils of traffic. But if its your first bike period the hotter the machine the more you make the rest of us worry. If you plan on commuting in the near future I couldnt get behind a Nija 250 as the lack of top end could get you killed on the freeway. Though around town and on tight roads the 250 can be a kick in the pants.

Basically it all comes down to self control. If you buy a bigger bike I would stick to or around the RPM breakin limit for your first 2000 miles. Not so much for the bike but for you as statistics show that most accidents occur within a riders first 2000 miles on the street. After 2k miles you should have a good feeling of how your bike handles then you could notch it up a bit. Most breakins have a 4k rpm limit. Under 4k a 600 supersport is pretty managable, Unlike over 7k rpm when the needle sweeps to 13k in a flash and so does that stoplight 3 blocks away. Never forget every car on the road will try and kill you, always assume they are going to swerve into you, pull out in front of you or just run you over from behind. Check your mirrors when coming to a stop and leave yourself room to get out of the way if someone decides that stopping isnt one of their priorities. Never ride in a cars blind spot and never assume they see you. Take the MSF course in your area and pick up a good book (keith code's twist of the wrist II helped me a lot). Give the motorcycle safety foundation a call and setup a class, its only about $100 and will count as your DMV riding exam. Also many insurance companies will give you a break if you have passed the course. 1-800-ccrider is the number.

Figure in at least $500 ($1000 would be better) worth of safety gear on top of your bike purchase. I'd skimp on the bike before I would skimp on gear. I wouldnt recommend black gear either. Its not very visable and in the summer black is a tad bit warm. But often its the only color available. Remember jeans are only good for about 5ft then its cheese grater time...

As for the bike if you are going for a 600 dont overlook the yzr600r, not the r6. The 6r is a great street bike, very comfortable and will do it all on the street. That and about a grand cheaper than the R6. The added weight is good in the wind also.

Ride Safe!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 06:17 AM   #75
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Seruzawa, trying to explain things like "powerband", "torque", "real world power" and such is fairly useless on the kiddies. Since numbers is all they understand, a motorcycle to them is just an appliance. If it's lighter, faster, or cheaper, then it is better than yours and that's that my friend. Throw it away after you are done and buy a new one. All the emotion and pride of owning a refrigerator, with a few quoted "facts" along the way to puff up your chest. If you are looking to make headway in this area, I suggest beating your head firmly against a brick wall several times. This will give you a small idea of the pain you will encounter as you try to educate some n00b about the things you describe. Good Luck.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:18 AM   #76
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Who-Ligans?

SV-650 = Hooligan?

SV-650 = Motorcycle.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:26 AM   #77
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Really?

Point taken, mentioning Jesse James was a bad idea. What I really wanted to ilustrate as an example of factory ready choppers was more along the lines of H-D, Confederate and the likes.

I was not trying to belittle the value of a one-off bike, but only to demonstrate that "factory customized" bikes sell well.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 08:24 AM   #78
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Shaft Driven Wheelies

My last shaft driven motorcycle was a bit@h to wheelie. Any easier with your pick-up?
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:28 AM   #79
KPaulCook
Banned

I understand torque (newton-meters) from a physics porint of view. I lack real world experience on a big torque bike. Yes I do conceptionally understand what Seruzawa in his street slang was saying. Sean Alexander explained in terms more relevant to my engineering background. Give it a rest longride i.e. now who is being the flamer.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:35 AM   #80
KPaulCook
Banned

I got it. thanks see my note to longride.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote