Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-03-2002, 07:13 PM   #51
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Four feedback

Rule from the cage world: As soon as the mass manufacturers finally find a prole trend wafting through their thick corporate skulls and into their production plans, it's totally over on a street level. Factory streetfighters are by definition on very thin ice, because if they come prefashioned and thus available for anyone who's read a few magazines to pick up, the credibility aspect is destroyed.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2002, 07:19 PM   #52
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

No, just sensible, which I fear may equate to the same thing these days.

Peter Egan wrote an all-but-scandalous column in CW a few months back where he interviewed a bunch of serious hardcore lifelong bikers; almost to a man, including said highly esteemed author, they had started out on tiddly little dual-sports of the kind that get you laughed out of any modern parking lot. It means something that they were all there to relate stories of these tiddlers, though.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:09 PM   #53
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: The 1/4 mile numbers from MO for year 2000 600ss

You make a great point. I can think of nothing more boring then a bike with an big cushy seat, automatic transmission and linked brakes (totally linked). At that point I would prefer to be in a car.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:35 PM   #54
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Are these new Hooligan bikes really just updated standards...

After reading this month's issue of Motorcyclist, which featured a Hooligan comparison, to someone new to the sport these factory hooligan/street fighter bikes are just updated standards. On one end we have the stripped sport bikes like the Speed triple, updated standard like bikes Honda 919, SV650, Monsters, to the dirt like KTM Duke. Are these factory hooligans just refreshed versions of Nighthawks, GS500s etc? And what is a street fighter anyway? In Motorcyclist's unfavorable review of the Buell Deadbolt they used the term sport figher. It's like the marketing types want to invent a category so their bike can't be compared to any other or there term can be the next cool thing to be or say. Someone said here that true hooligans are beat up sport bikes with fairings ripped off and clip-ons replaced with handle bars. Seems like the marketing types are using the term to sell updated standards. What da ya think?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:38 PM   #55
sarnali
Founding Member

I agree with that, I started out on a hodaka super rat in ' 71, most of my riding buddies started on bultaco's or elsinores or yamaha enduros or something like that, thats where you learn to handle a bike moving and sliding around, plus they're easy and cheap to rebuild or were any way, do they still sell Blendzall ? I love the smell of that stuff. The new speed four would look alot better without the snorkel snout things sticking out the front, I think. but overall I'd say it was pretty sharp, I'm a big fan of cafe racer / sport standard / streetfighter's or whatever you call them today anyway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:52 PM   #56
LOSTinSPACE
Founding Member

TT600 didn't sell well, looks like Triumph figured out a way to dump the inventory.
LOSTinSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:09 PM   #57
sarnali
Founding Member

Rat on, Rat on, Rat on, as usual the factory's miss the point, not to rag cruisers but remember when the metric cruisers first came out? Harley's were selling like hotcakes so they copy them right down to a tee, they even made them gutless, what they missed was that most people who buy Harley's spend lots of time and effort trying to get some power out of them! I mean what the hell is a "factory custom" ? now they're going to make "factory streetfighters" the whole idea is to build it yourself like a caferacer or something, buy a '75 cb 750 k, strip it, paint it flat black, put some clip on's and a pipe on it and just rock on, thats what that is, not some corporate bull*****. we'll all wind up looking like designer outlaws or something, I plan on riding my bandit till the wheels fall off, then I'll stick 'em back on an ride some more.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:53 PM   #58
gforces
Founding Member

So, may I ask, what kind of bikes did everybody else start riding around on the street? I don't want to buy used, because I don't like the thought of buying something that's been screwed up already, and will fall apart on me at the worst moment. I've been looking at the much praised SV650, and am leaning in that direction.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:00 AM   #59
Pacer
Founding Member

I think you are right.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 03:33 AM   #60
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Who-Ligans?

I have to express my disappointment that Motorcyclist magazine didn't include the Falco in their comparo. They had mentioned the Falco a couple times on the Television version of the magazine on Speed TV. I thought it was a shoe in.

If you would like to read a very MOTIVATING article about why the the Falco Streetfighter is one bad arse bike, follow this link:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/bikereviews.asp?ID=45

I think the spirit of the "street fighter" is being violated at the moment. Seriously, if the Monster 620 and SV650 can be called a streetfighter then either the Press or the Manufacturers have lost the plot.

There is a magazine devoted to streetfighter machinary. The bikes included in the category in Motorcyclist magazine would start a riot if they were included in the streetfighter enthusiast magazine. Typical streetfighters are not only stripped of their plastic.. their motors are STOKED. I guess the money collected from the insurance company once they trash their Gixxers is directed to the engine department instead of replacing the plastic.

The only bikes that even meets the criteria for a streetfighter in the Motorcyclist article are maybe the Speed Triple, the Duke and the Buell.

If someone were to take the Monster 620 or SV650 and shoehorn a Gixxer 600 motor in the chassis... then maybe. Outside of that possibility Motorcyclist's suggestion that they are is a JOKE.

I am forever frustrated that a bike which is readily criticized compared to it's peer group, but is later held to be a fantastic motorbike once the fairings are removed and a straight bar is added. Take the TT600 for example. Compared to the Japanese 600's it is a laughing stock. Remove the fairings, which is a very good idea because the TT600 looks like a bloated corpse, and suddenly the Speed Four is a fantastic bike.

Based upon the photos included in Motorcyclist, Who-Ligan bikes are trick bikes. Wheelies, burnouts, stoppies and the like. Correct me if I am wrong, but tricks can be performed on most bikes.

Maybe the Hooligan is the rider and not the bike? It's an attitude then and bike is simply an overt representation of this attitude.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote