Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-03-2002, 12:03 PM   #41
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Four feedback

Amen, you can get in trouble so much faster now than you could ten years ago. None the less 28 years ago when I started out on a 4hp mini bike. Funny how the sound of a finely tuned lawn mower still brings a smile to my face. But the thought of a 150+ hp Gixxer as a first bike is pretty scary. Even the most reserved individual cant resist cracking the throttle now and then. 2 seconds of throttle on a GSX or any sport bike could be 50+ MPH and the difference between an SUV being a dot in the distance or you being a dot on the back bumper.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2002, 12:05 PM   #42
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: The 1/4 mile numbers from MO for year 2000 600ss

As always I (the rookie) bow to your wisdom Sean. Thanks for setting me straight. I still would love to give it a shot.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:05 PM   #43
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree I like the looks of the Triple better.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:09 PM   #44
12er
Founding Member

I thought the fly screen made the bike. Well gives it the mutant forehead to go with those bulging eyeballs.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 01:38 PM   #45
Poser
Founding Member

Default Triumph reliability

I have an 01 TT600 and it has been fine. It has quirks, but no leaks or stranding problems. The fuel injection is as sorted as my brother's VFR. The 2002 is reputedly better, but I have not ridden one, so I can only speak from my experience so far with the 2001. I ride it every day, and it lives in the rain in the driveway. Wet and cold don't bother it, and I have seen no evidence of corrosion anywhere on it.

The 2000 models were variable. You could get a good one or a bad one. The 2001's are more consistent if they are set up right.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 01:42 PM   #46
Poser
Founding Member

Default It looks like a squid

Hey, if you hate it, they weren't going to sell it to you anyway. I hated it at first, then saw on in person- it looks like a squid. Really. A bike that looks like a squid and handles as well as a TT600 is a love it or hate it proposition. Anyone who has one will have a whole lot of fun with it.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:49 PM   #47
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: The 1/4 mile numbers from MO for year 2000 600ss

If you want to sit on your 1100 cc shaftie and be a big potato, that is fine. I don't think that is much fun. Given a choice, I will be happily thrashing through three times as many gear changes as you on my 600. If I am slower, that is fine too. Some people like big, plush machinery with everything on automatic, some people like small bore darting around. I don't care if you are faster if I am having more fun.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:33 PM   #48
ARTBIZTOMMY
Founding Member

i don't think i can get behind this factory streetfighter thing, and i'm convinced the manufacturers don't understand it very well either. streetfighters always looked to me like thoroughly thrashed bikes that had been brought back from the dead and put out on the street withought waiting for the reconstructive surgery making them all pretty and perfect again. frankensteins.

i've always been a fan of rat bikes....in a world of primadonna trailerqueens and yuppified aftermarket ducatis, a well used (even scuffed up) bike that looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet appeals to me in a perverse way. now don't get me wrong. i appreciate a jewel of a bike that's been massaged to perfection as much as the next yokel (and this is really where harleys work best---out in that 'motorcycle-as-joe lunchbox-sculpture' category) but a bike that looks like it's had it's neck properly wrung at the hand of somebody looking for big laughs and then stripped of its scratched and cracked fiberglass and left with some of its wiring duct-taped to the frame and hanging out in public sure has some charm for me the same way old racecars do. these old things seem to smile at me with one eye blackened and swollen and a big goofy grin with missing teeth. these machines have been out past the safety zones and are back among us again. somebody has been having some fun out there.

i think that's why the whole streetfighter thing struck me as interesting. bikes with honest battlescars that have left their perfect plastic bits behind long ago. bikes with character, with patina...

now we get the factories involved in the deal and suddenly we've got pretty little streetfighters with de-tuned engines (hell if i needed a de-tuned engine i'd just get out in the gargage and install a jet kit myself, har har) that have been pre-disastered for us and delivered without the bodywork that we ought to be shredding off ourselves. what next? pre-ground hero blobs? factory scuffed leathers? fake road rash? spare me, please. it's the factory's job to make the bikes that WE get to go out tear up, patch up, wear out and then go buy a new one. if we buy new bikes that are already worn down to the nub, we'll be missing all the fun.
ARTBIZTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 04:01 PM   #49
runner00
Founding Member

I would definately consider this bike. It's got to be a great street bike and it's a looker.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 04:34 PM   #50
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

I know. A Seca II still is on my occasional look-for list once in a while, but it would be higher up said list if it had featured, oh, bigger carbs and a second front disc. Nice looking bike nonetheless, and at a good price when it came out. Just wish it had been done that little bit better, and that other companies had been compelled to compete against it. (See any English bike mag's comparative opinion of the Fazer and the Diversion 600, aka our Seca II, for a more authoritative take on the matter.)
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote