Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-03-2002, 03:33 AM   #21
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Four feedback

I've got one, and it's great! Didn't want a 919, or a FZ-1, SV650, M900, XB9R, etc... This bike is tons of fun, and the injection is damn near perfect, much better than the first TT. So what if it costs a few bucks more than some in it's class, or a few less than some bigger bikes. Bikes aren't about bargins, they're about what you like the most! Sometimes that will cost you more, so, bite the bullet and get the bike. And if it's not for you, keep looking!
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2002, 04:53 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

One day I'm gonna drop the bomb and get a KTM Duke II. That thing has GOT to be one fun bike. Will owning 5 motorcycles be too many though, or not enough?
Old 07-03-2002, 05:30 AM   #23
tvurt
Founding Member

I have a S3 - and would just love a lighter smaller version with about the same HP? Yup I would. Must go shopping . . . When my Triple gets to 20 or 30 k miles . . .
tvurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:43 AM   #24
12er
Founding Member

Just wait for the new Duke with the LC8 motor. That or take the LC8 adventure and turn it into a SuperMotard. I wish this thing would hit the floors soon, Ive been drooling over the thought for two years now. My 00 KLR 650 was such a blast in the twisties, I cant even imagine the same thing with twice the horsepower and 3 times the suspension.

Oh BTW 5 bikes is not nearly enough, especially in this day and age with so many toys available.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:46 AM   #25
12er
Founding Member

The Fazer 600 we did get but at that time it was the Seca II and nobody at the time wanted it. I still see a few on the road but I saw even more sitting on the showroom floors till they quit offering it. Granted the Fazer is now upgraded a bit over the Seca II.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:10 AM   #26
mike_root
Founding Member

Ick!!

I hate this bike!!!
mike_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:00 AM   #27
DucButt
Founding Member

Gettting off my bike at the top of Mt Palomar, a young squid pulls up on his shiny new Gixxer 1000. As he dismounts, I ask him what his previous bike was. His answer: "This is my first bike." Note that I did not ride back down the mountain with him.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:03 AM   #28
SilverBullet
Founding Member

It's still a tough decision. The new Sp3 weighs less than pre-2002's and has more torque and hp (almost 120 hp).

I'd probably still go for the Sp3 vs the Sp4 for street riding if only for the abundance of torque EVERYWHERE in rev range. The Sp4 is a much better choice for smaller/newer riders, though (and it's cheaper).

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:06 AM   #29
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Trust me it looks much better in the metal, it looks cleaner in black and the silly flyscreen can be removed for a more serious image... if such a thing is possible for this bike (looking serious, that is).

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:15 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't take this as a putdown of 600-4s, but I don't think that that particular engine configuration is good as a powerplant for a streetfighter. 600-4s are tops for weekend racing and superfast tours around nice canyon roads. In that venue I prefer them greatly over bigger bikes. It's just that the super high rpms the engines (7500 in the Triumph's case) have to turn to access the powerband make it difficult to compete at Stoplight Grand Prix.

Purely by the numbers, a 600-4 gets around 100 HP. My old GSX1100 shaftie gets 98.1 HP and weighs in at 600+ (add the 250 lb potato perched on the seat). Various road tests show that the 1/4 mile times of the 600-4s are very close to the old 1100. Some are faster. By the numbers a 600-4 should stay with the 1100. Yet I've never failed to humiliate anyone on a 600-4 who tried to street race with me. Probably because the torque of the 1100 is nearly twice that of the 600 and at 4750 rpm, not 10,000.

Nothing against the Triumph. Its just that IMHO the particular engine configuration just doesn't compete well in that venue. As the old adage goes, there is no substitute for cubic inches. I'm just not sure that there will be much of a demand for 600-4 streetfighters in the USA. Maybe that's why the Japanese have decided not to import them.