Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-02-2002, 03:14 PM   #11
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Four feedback

The Bulldog is just that--a dog. I don't even own a bike, and even I know that. My insurance company sets rates on engine size, so the cost of an 1100 cc bike that only has 65 ponies is plain stupid--to my squidly butt, anyway.

I rode my buddy's SV650 all day last Saturday, and I loved it. That bike just needs some bigger wheels to fill my aesthetic requirements in order for me to lay down the cash. Why pay $5799 for an SV650 when for $1700 more I could get the way cooler S4?
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2002, 03:30 PM   #12
MuzzyMatt
Founding Member

"Why pay $5799 for an SV650 when for $1700 more I could get the way cooler S4?"

Because with $1,700 on the SV 650 you could get some great upgrades or buy many track days (or a little of both). Then again, never settle for second to the bike you really want, and if that's the Triumph S4, go for it.
MuzzyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:55 PM   #13
KPaulCook
Banned

I echo Ducbutt, excellent comment. It will be interesting to see if these things take off here in the U.S. I suspect they might. Especially here on the West Coast, where naked bikes like the Triple, Monster, and SV are popular. If that happens you will be right the Japanese will follow suit. But I disagree (suprise )that they will be just copies. I think we (Americans) tend to see the Japanese as just copiers and we don't give em credit for creativity. Yes they do tend to take ideas and refine them but I think there are plenty of examples of Japanese original thinking. Besides competition will only make these bikes better. So those of you like DucButt who want a unique bike, can buy the Triumph. That bike in turn which will become a better bike over time because of Japanese competition. Don't you think the Ducati 998 is better because of Honda RC51? But the uniqueness of the Ducati is still in tact.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:26 PM   #14
v2-90
Founding Member

750Sport (750S) doesn't come in Senna colors, that's the 02 900SS. 750S is flat black, matte, primer, whatever the hell you want to call it. It's also only got 1 front disc and the 3 spoke Brembo wheels as well. The 750S is like the Monster Dark 750 before 02 - entry level with limited features to keep costs low, thereby enabling a lower MSRP.

As for the other 3 on your list, they'll all spank the 750S in just about every category, with the possible exception of dry/wet weight (not sure about that).

v2-90