Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-06-2002, 04:44 PM   #91
rls4691
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Speed Four feedback

Uh.... Where's the dyno run?
rls4691 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2002, 08:06 PM   #92
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default First bike

My first was a brand-new '97 GSXR600. 3 seasons and a lot of luck later, I graduated to my current '00 R1. Lots of people will tell you that a crotch rocket is a bad starter bike----I disagree in certain cases. A mature attitude and good degree of coordination is the prerequisite for owning a rocket as a first bike. Some have it, some (clearly) don't. The disclaimer-----if you do stupid things aboard your new GSXYZFRR, chances are you will pay for it. I did all the stupid squid stuff----riding in a t-shirt, sandals, and no helmet, whizzing around at night, rode drunk a few times-----but I guess God had other things in mind for me, as I'm here to tell about it. If you get a rocket, get good gear, wear it all the time, respect the bike, and be aware of your lack of experience----then you should be fine. Ride with some more mature sportbikers, let them show you the ropes.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 05:18 AM   #93
jhinton
Founding Member

Default Re: First Bike

My first bike was a '80 KZ440. I got it when I was 18 and rode it for 2 years and about 4K miles. It cost me a grand total of $600 over those 2 years including insurance and maintence items. For reference I paid about $1200 for my riding gear (jacket, boots, gloves, helmet, draggin jeans) and ALWAYS wore it. I'm 24 and have moved through 6 bikes know settling on a BWM R1150R for my current needs.
jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:55 AM   #94
The_Gemini
Founding Member

Everytime I see this thing I can't help but thinking about the martians in the film Mars Attacks. The front of the bike looks like an alien head and I just don't think that's the kind of styling association they were looking for at Triumph. Too bad they weren't all in the factory during the evening weenie roast. And I just don't get a 600 streetfighter anyway. I'd want a torque monster for that sort of riding anyway. Overall I just don't see the market.
The_Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 06:01 AM   #95
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Shaft Driven Wheelies

Nah... but it does *****in full opposite-lock, tire boiling power slides.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:44 AM   #96
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The 1/4 mile numbers from MO for year 2000 600ss

It's just my old masochistic tendencies showing again.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:21 AM   #97
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Reasons not to buy a Triumph

1. Resale value. Just for craps and giggles, ride a year-old Sprint or Daytona into a dealership and see how much they'll give you on trade. Even a Triumph dealership (or especially a Triumph dealership, since they know how hard it is to move a Triumph).

2. Reliability. If you ride a Triumph like a cruiser, you will be fine. But ask any hard sport rider who has logged 15,000+ miles on a Triumph what they think about Triumph reliability.

3. Cost. For $7,400, you can pick up any Japanese 600 that will spank the Speed 4 in every measurement, will be running like a new bike when when the Triumph is falling apart like a syphilitic old bar hag with leprosy.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 07:24 AM   #98
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Reasons to buy a Triumph

1. Snob appeal, though as Triumph's reputation sinks further and further into the crapper, this is becoming non-existent.

2. Illiteracy. Over the past year the problems with Triumph's new-generation fuel-injected engines have become public knowledge. The truth is out there.

3. Stupidity. If you are a serious motorcyclist who doesn't abuse a bike but rides hard, keeping the engine in the meat of the powerband and carrying a lot of speed through corners, and you buy a Triumph, you get what you deserve.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:35 AM   #99
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

I'll tell you what. Zelatore, you take your Sprint RS into a dealership, and Poser, you take your TT into a dealership, any dealership, and see what they'll give you on a trade.

I've never abused my bike, not done one smokey burnout, one on-purpose stoppie, have only hoisted the front wheel two or three times, and once I got used to the 9,500 rpm redline, seldom bang the rev limiter. The bike has received meticulous maintenance. What I do do is ride hard in the twisties, keep the engine in the meat of the powerband, and carry a lot of speed through corners, enough to grind off the hero tab on the right side, and halfway off the left side. My tires tend to wear out on the edges way before the centers. If a bike isn't capable of this kind of riding (and every Japanese sportbike or standard can take this all day long for years and years without problem), it isn't worth a damn to me. And my Triumph can't take it.

Zelatore and Poser, go out and measure the chicken strips on your tires (the area on the edges of your tires where the tread has not been scuffed by pavement). If you have chicken strips, you are probably not riding hard enough to wear out a Triumph. But then, you could probably get many, many miles out of a Buell without problems, too. If you have chicken strips, the Triumph is probably a perfectly good motorcycle for you.

For me, the Triumph is a steaming P.O.S.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:33 PM   #100
Poser
Founding Member

First bike was a Yamaha 80cc enduro. I don't even remember what it was actually called, but it was red. It would go 40 MPH flat out if you were tucked in. Being 14 didn't stop me from riding it on the road as fast as it would go. Fortunately, I lived!

If you really don't want to buy a used bike, a GS500 is a good beginner bike. They are a whole lot of fun even if you are not a beginner, but they are inexpensive and don't have much to break if (when) you drop them.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote