Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-01-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Ku****ani glove and jacket review

Those gloves look pretty neat sitting on that complimentary Buell DeadBolt . I am curious how these new light weight jackets rate in the abrasion protection department. Is there a rating method/system for such jackets? If so how do these new light weight jackets standup. Of course in Seattle, I would only be able to use something like this for only 2 weeks in August. Love the gear reviews keep it coming. Thanks.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2002, 03:24 PM   #2
minime
Founding Member

More on the way! And content, too. Shoot, it'll be almost like a real magazine one of these days...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
DucButt
Founding Member

Does anyone have hot weather riding experience with the mesh jackets made by Joe Rocket, Field Shear, etc.? How does the Ku****ani compare? Some days are simply too hot for leathers, and for the price, these jackets would alleviate the urge to ride in just a t-shirt (okay, not a canyon strafing ride, but I'd like some protection regardless).

DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 03:33 PM   #4
ats1911
Founding Member

See the latest Motorcycle Consumer News. If memory serves, the Firstgear jacket was first, Joe Rocket second.

I looked at the Firstgear jacket for my wife, but I thought the armor was much less substantial than my Joe Rocket Phoenix, with which I'm quite pleased. The Phoenix is a fair bit heavier, though.

It's plenty warm in Albuquerque in the summer, and a full jacket is almost unbearable. This is a good compromise.

I haven't seen this Ku****ani jacket, so I can't compare.
ats1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 04:39 PM   #5
vcs700s
Founding Member

I purchased a First Gear Mesh Tex Jacket about a month ago when temps were in the 90's here in Virginia. You are complaining about the mid 70's? It is fantastic and really does the job-comfortable and cool even when it is really 90 degrees. I wore it at the Honda Hoot in Knoxville where it was 89-90 every day. I bet I had 25 people ask me about it. The vendors sold out the First Gear Mesh Tex but there were plenty of Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets to be had. For me personally, the First Gear is more comfortable and has great padding. Try one and see!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 04:50 PM   #6
desertbilly
Founding Member

The key is hydration. The more windflow you have against your skin, which provides the cooling effect, the faster you dehydrate. I use a Camelback, or a smaller hydration bag in a tankbag. Heat exhaustion is very serious on a bike, because dizziness is the first sympton.

Jacket-wise, I use the BMW Airflow. It's not as 'meshy' as the newer, cheaper jackets, but if I'm going to hit the blacktop at 60 mph, I'd rather be in it than a JR Phoenix (which are quite popular here in Phoenix.) I also have the Marsee mesh riding pants. The BMW pants weren't cool enough, and didn't have full length zippers. Some people also use the Marsee cooling vests, and report very good results, although I haven't gotten one of those yet.

Desertbilly, in Arizona, where it was 110 yesterday and 109 today.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:23 PM   #7
Dave305
Founding Member

I use a Phoenix jacket and I bought a Fieldsheer Air Titanium for the wife. They are so much more comfortable than perforated leather in the heat...an entirely new universe altogether. The jackets both have double padding in the shoulders and on the back. If you were stuck riding slow in really hot weather you could remove the inner large solid back pad and still have pretty decent coverage from the seperate articulated sewn-in pads. The Phoenix has snap straps on the upper and lower arms. On my Katana there is no apparent flapping, even with just the lower straps snapped, right up to and, ummm, slightly beyond the national speed limit. The Fieldsheer has a single hook and loop type strap that looks like it should do the job. I'd be leery of a jacket that doesn't have straps at all. The Fieldsheer has a hook and loop flap closure at the neck...don't ask me why. I'm glad that the Phoenix doesn't. I love the JR and do strafe an occassional canyon in it (ever been on Hwy 190 from Springville to Camp Nelson in Calif.? Yum.)

Seems like everyone has a mesh jacket out now. Even you cruiser types have no excuse...Arlen Ness makes one.

As for gloves...BMW makes a GS glove that's nice, but about twice the price of the Ku****ani.

They don't help at all on my RT (no air flow for the hands behind that big fairing) but on the Katana my hands stay cool in all but the hottest weather and are fairly comfortable even then. There is enough air movement behind the fairing of the Beemer for the mesh jacket to work though...it's night and day! If you live somewhere hot, you must buy one.

I think the product articles are great...keep it up. The reader's comments will give us all a chance to get opinions on products that we might not even know exist otherwise.
Dave305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:48 PM   #8
lant5
Founding Member

I have to agree. The mesh jackets look like they will flow the air but I just don't have faith in them should they be put to the real test, saving my hide. The mesh jackets I have looked at could be frayed with a piece of velcro. I like the BMW Airflow II and a Marsee cooling vest. This combo works well as I put it to the test just last week in 100 degree temps. Yes the cost is about 4 times that of mesh jacket but I think the protection factor is worth it.

One other thing. I own two pairs of Ku****ani gloves and they are fantastic but they run small. I have to buy one size larger than normal and at that they are still on the tight side for a few rides.
lant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:19 AM   #9
bobbob_3
Founding Member

I've had the Joe Rocket jacket since May - and it is great! Bought the pants last wekend: not so great. After an hour on the bike, the knees (padded) and seat (no perforation) get very hot.
bobbob_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:12 AM   #10
Ivy_1
Founding Member

I ride with a Joe Rocket, and it is wonderful for summer. Don't have any specifics on how it does in a road rash slide but it does have armor and padding. I think a good fall would make the jacket a piece of junk but you would come out of it better than any other product.
Ivy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote