Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-02-2002, 04:26 PM   #31
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Any Crash Tests?

LOL good one.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2002, 06:08 PM   #32
TheFox
Founding Member

Default What should we use?

What would you recommend for practical, "normal" appearing clothing for legs that has some abrasion/impact reducing qualities?

Other than kevlar reinforced jeans, what are my options? I hear Giali has kevlar reinforced BDU type pants and jeans over in the UK, but are they really worth it?

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:08 AM   #33
shikarioth
Founding Member

Default Re: Ku****ani glove and jacket review

Unfortunately, in bike business, products, manufacturers, re-sellers come and go. Among a number of ventilated jackets I've examined, I never found one whichseemed to ventilate as well as my well-used Vent-Tech. It circulates air all around your chest, but the bakc vertical seam had to be reinforced with a leather strip because it was a very inadequate edge-to-edge stitching. Apparently, it had been produced under another brand before and I haven't been able to locate the producer/distributor afterwards. Out of business? Dehydration was not addressed however. In real hot weather (trail riding in Tunisia), a was wearing a Hein Gericke Tuareg textile jacket, fully ventilated, with a horizontal pocket under the belt, around the hips; in this pocket a Platypus 2L pourch fits perfectly; the tube is kept vertical against my chest to come out at collar and it's held in a coiling string key holder clipped on breast pocket. Otherwise, I have not seen any gear fitted with a hydration pouch pocket WHILE preserving all around ventilation.
shikarioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:05 AM   #34
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I live in Houston, so we got hot for ya. mid 70's is uncomfortable? You must be kidding.

I love my Phoenix. It is actually more comfortable and maybe even cooler than a long sleeve shirt. More comfy because it doesn't flap around, just smoothish airflow. Cooler because it flows a lot of air and the mesh seems to act like flow control, keeping a nice quasi-laminar layer rolling all over my torso.

Haven't crashed it on the street, but I did take it on a motocross track and landed on my left elbow. Had I been wearing normal MX gear, I'd have a big, unpleasant scrape/bruise. With the Phoenix, neither I nor the jacket show any evidence of the crash.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:40 AM   #35
ballan00
Founding Member

Default Re: What should we use?

I have a pair of Dragin Jeans and I have had very good luck with them. I was wearing them during a fairly low speed low side, and they were barely scuffed, my leg ended up with no abrasion or heat rash whatsoever.

Not sure about other options. I do admit that the Dragn jeans are more "Harley Dude" style. I wish they came in a more designer looking style.

- BA
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:46 AM   #36
obandoj
Founding Member

I just got the First Gear version of the summer perforated jacket, it really works well, which is a very nice thing here in Phoenix, AZ. I have not crash tested it (thank you very much!) But the armor looks pretty good and it is very comfortable, as soon as you start moving it feels as if you are only wearing a t-shirt, what a difference from a leather jacket!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:06 AM   #37
sculptor666
Founding Member

after compiliing all the info i could on mesh jackets, i bought AGV's jacket. most protection for the buck (more pads than the jr phoenix for example), and ce approved soft armor (which you can't see from the outside.. the outer padding is separate from the armor), and i'm totally happy with it. cools you right down, even at 5mph. i have a ku****ani all weather jacket which is frikkin great, so i'm sure their jacket is tops, but $100 more than the AGV... couldn't swing it for a one season jacket. i read below about marsee's vented pants, so i'll have to check them out.

hey MO, why not let users write their own reviews since we obviously buy everything out there, and you have to wait around for swag to show up. you can still edit, don't worry. some retail websites let you read reviews before you buy... that helped steer me away from buying arlen ness's vented jacket (read that it's collar sucked).

sculptor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:17 AM   #38
12er
Founding Member

Ive only done about 45 minutes at a time (length of my commute) in moderate rain on the freeway. I did not suffer the infamous "wet crotch" that I have heard others experiance in the one piece roadcrafter. I hear the two piece roadcrafter is much better in the rain and should keep you pretty much totally dry. Now my buddy riding with a tourmaster suit suffered from wet crotch syndrom and had a couple other leaks as well. Also what you ride as we all know has a lot to do with it to. My K12RS has decent protection from the elements, well better than my buddies F4 with a double bubble...

Aerostitch does sell water proofing kits for the zippers and shell, if that is where most of the water on your Frank Thomas gear is coming from you may want to go to www.aerostitch.com and look under suit accessories. The kit is only $15 and contains scotchguard and seam grip seam sealer. $15 sounds cheap enough to try, then again with all the crying about $12 on this site it may be too much for some.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:25 AM   #39
12er
Founding Member

Yeah I learned the beauty of scrubbing the hell out of an abrasion first thing from my brother. Much better to scrub a fresh wound with all the endorphines rushing about than to wait till it gets infected and then have the doctor take a no mercy approach. The second skin stuff sounds much less messy than the neosporin route. Next time I go over the bars on my mountain bike I'll have to check Tegaderm out. Hmm looks like Im going to have to plan a trip up to Northstar for some downhill action...
Old 07-03-2002, 10:35 AM   #40
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Any Crash Tests?

Thats similar to Aerostitch's sandbag drag tests. You can check out their results on the website. Still though it says nothing about how well the armor works. Aerostitch admits that leather is still best but its not practical for everyday riding or commuting. Main downfall of cordura is the lack of friction. You slide further than you would in leather, hence why they mention the possibilites of friction burns from the roadcrafters. Still I have seen a friends 'stitch after a 60mph slide, it was almost good as new and he was only bruised. I must admit my stitch is far superior to my first gear Kilimangaro and only about $50 more than the jacket / pants combo from First Gear.