Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-02-2002, 12:37 PM   #21
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Ku****ani glove and jacket review

Whenever someone says gear costs too much price a wheelchair or a skin graft. One day in a hospital bed runs about $1500. Heck just an ER visit to clean out the gravel costs that much.

I know what 20 mph on the pavement feels like, that was on a mountain bike and took over a month to heal. Kinda neat though watching the hair folicals grow back in the goop* that was my forearm.

Figure out what 30mph would be like without protection. At least one knee, hand and possibly forearm would be down to the meat or bone. That is if you didnt break anything also. After running the numbers my $700 Aerostitch is a steal, and Ive rode with it in 107 and it wasnt too bad. Now stoplights in 107 suck...

**Goop- what happens to scabs when Neosporin is applied**

12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2002, 12:41 PM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Good points. Although my Frank Thomas gear is OK. I think eventually I get something like an Aerostich. How is it in the rain? I am in Seattle so 107 degrees in highly unlikely but my two piece Frank Thomas suit has problems in heavy rain.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 12:51 PM   #23
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Any Crash Tests?

Sand bag dumbie drug behind a truck? Hmm crash test dumbies should work just fine. Gear one up and toss it out, measure the damage when it comes to a stop.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 12:54 PM   #24
DucButt
Founding Member

FWIW, I am a competitive road bicyclist, and have had my share of crashes at 30+mph wearing just lycra. Here's my collective experience on how best to treat road rash: Scrub it very well with Betadine antiseptic cleanser and a surgical sponge. You can spray the abrasion with a topical anesthetic first if you're a weenie - otherwise, it hurts like hell for the first few minutes until the pain receptors overload and go numb.

*Here's the significant part* - Once the wound is completely clean and dry, apply one of the new "second skin" type bandages. I have used a product called Tegaderm (looks like Saran Wrap) but J&J makes a similar product using Compeed. These bandages are left in place for several days - they are designed to seal the elements out, but still allow the wound to breathe. What happens is that the skin heals from the inside out, without forming a scab. I've found that the skin heals in less than half the time as compared to traditional dressings that allow a scab to form. Also less pain as it heals, and less scarring.

Cheers - hope nobody needs my advice.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 01:02 PM   #25
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Great idea ballan00

It would be great to have some kind of abrasion resistance test with a rating system. That way we could make choices like: This jacket has rating of 5 which means I could handle a 20 mph low side with this much damage so I will accept the risk on this hot day etc etc. Maybe Motorcyle Consumer News has done something like this.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:06 PM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Great ida lets start with your Aerostitch suit My MSF instructor said there was a test a few years ago where they used a block of wood and dragged it behind a pickup. Competition leather was the best. Non leather jackets were better than jeans but significantly worse than leather. I'll see where he got that info from.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:07 PM   #27
DucButt
Founding Member

Any other former navy guys out there? Hook up a jacket to the cat and fire it across the non-skid deck of a carrier. If it holds up to that, I'll pay $2000 for it. Another idea: Ask Ruben Xaus to wear a mesh suit at the next race.

Seriously, 12er has a great idea - the hard part would be ensuring identical conditions for each "dummie toss" - and getting the jackets donated.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:12 PM   #28
AirCoolBMW
Founding Member

I wear perf leather here in North Carolina, and have actually crash tested it with good results (dislocated shoulder, no roadrash after 60 foot slide). I would be interested in a real TEST of different jackets and pants like the euro mags do (Ride, for example).

I also shake my head a bit when I see folks wearing leather jackets and jeans. It's been my unfortunate but frequent observation as an EMT that leg injurys are far more common and debilitating that upper body injurys. Why just protect your top half? I don't get it.
AirCoolBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:13 PM   #29
AirCoolBMW
Founding Member

I wear perf leather here in North Carolina, and have actually crash tested it with good results (dislocated shoulder, no roadrash after 60 foot slide). I would be interested in a real TEST of different jackets and pants like the euro mags do (Ride, for example).

I also shake my head a bit when I see folks wearing leather jackets and jeans. It's been my unfortunate but frequent observation as an EMT that leg injurys are far more common and debilitating that upper body injurys. Why just protect your top half? I don't get it.
AirCoolBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:19 PM   #30
cyclesteve
Registered Member

I bought the JR reactor (the pheonix with the perfed leather on the sleeves) I found a Kobi jacket at the honda hoot that was mesh and had leather on the sleeves. I immediatly bought it. It has CE armor,better quality leather a better kidney belt.It is though slightly warmer.It is at a very comperable price. I will make you a great deal on a JR reactor used only about an hour. Marrieta motorsports has the Kobi jacket.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote