Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-26-2002, 01:49 PM   #1
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800 reader feedback

and there was this one time, see, when I rode the Volusia down a mountain road and came upon a group of sport bike riders. Picked them off one by one I did, until oh wait, no that was me on that Bulldog...
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
95XV1100
Founding Member

For the price this seems to be a great deal. Nice balance of styling and features especially for someone new to motorcycles. This bike actually appears to be worth its price.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
dwr461
Founding Member

So you were able to keep up with a ST1300 while riding two up, on a cruiser, with less than 50 foot pounds of torque and horsepower. Oh yeah, the ST1300 was dragging hard parts. That's a very interesting story. Ya know this one time, in band camp......
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:07 PM   #4
Clem_1
Founding Member

I'd buy one for my wife but I might have to ride it some day. Besides, she wants an 883.
Clem_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:07 PM   #5
minime
Founding Member

Nooooo! I was on the ST1300, two-up. Calvin was on the Volusia keeping up (albeit working a lot harder to do so).
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 05:14 PM   #6
hojka
Founding Member

Default Additional feature wanted in motorcycle reviews

One factor in a motorcycle buying decision is the cost of maintenance on that motorcycle. I would definitely appreciate in the future if you can give an estimated cost of the bike to maintain over a given period of time (such as five years). Of course you'd have to make some assumptions such as average mileage per year and such, but I know you can handle it.

For example, it's common opinion that maintaining a Honda is cheaper than a Ducati. However, having real figures might make someone in the market better informed of what the real differences in costs are. Such information in your articles would also help to differentiate this magazine from all those other cycle rags too!
hojka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:40 AM   #7
dwr461
Founding Member

Quick re-read............. yep sorry guys, misread it the first time. Thanks, Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:45 AM   #8
jbriley3
Founding Member

What a wimpy bike. This is definitely a test that didn't need to be done. An atricle that will interest no one. Liked your other material until this one.
jbriley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:05 AM   #9
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Numbers

This is one of those bikes that needs to make up time in the corners to keep up with the big guys. One measure of that ability that is almost never offered in tests is the maximum lean angle, which translates directly to corner speed at any given bank and coefficient of friction.

Why isn't this part of the standard result table?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:20 AM   #10
melstud
Founding Member

After 18 years of driving in my cage, I decided it was time that I got my motor running, head out on the highway. Uh... Oh Yeah!

I did almost two months of research before I test rode anything. The last bike I owned and drove daily, well, when it was running, was a '81 Harley Sporster. It was a piece of crap, but, HEY! I looked cool. The four bikes I chose to test ride were(drum roll please) Yamaha V-Star 1100, Trimph Bonneville America, Harley Duece and the Kawasaki Drifter 1500. All of them were easy to test ride except for the Harley, I finally got one of the mechanics to let me ride his. Since it was the last one I test drove, and I had a bit of time to get over the "Mystique" of the Harley, I realized it was not $9,000 dollars better than the other bikes, or $6,500 in the case of the Kawasaki.As a matter of fact I didn't think it was AS GOOD as the Yamaha or the Kawasaki. With the pad on the Kawasaki so my 'ol lady could ride two-up, well, it was just plain old UGLY. The Triumph was nice looking, but it seemed underpowered and kind of expensive for what you got. SO! I'm here! Ready to buy the V-Star 1100. I go back for one last ride and what is this? A Suzuki? No way! I have to drive it. Guess what? It's just as nice as the V-Star, handles better but doesn't have quite the OOMPH... But! Is the V-star $2,000 dollars better though? Nope! So I decided after almost SEVEN months that the Volusia is the way to go. So what did I buy? Why, a 1980 Yamaha XS650. of course. It's faster, handles better than the bikes above and for what they wanted for the Duece I could've bought SEVENTEEN of my little 650's. So! What was I trying to say before I got on my soapbox? For the money, the Volusia is a darn good buy. I didn't know it was 800 cc's until after I'd gotten back from my test drive. It's that GOOD! Then one day as I was coming home from work there was this old Yamaha sitting in a front yard with a for sale sign on it. Well... You know the rest of the story.
melstud is offline   Reply With Quote