Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-27-2002, 02:15 PM   #51
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800 reader feedback

In defense of MO I've been pretty happy so far. Although I have noticed less frequent reviews as before I'm sure more good stuff is in the works.

I'm really glad you wrote about the Volusia, as recently I sat on one on a whim at a dealer, and I was really impressed with how comfortable the bike felt. I've thought about getting one, and your review has re-affirmed it as a possible choice in my future.

Thanks Guys (And don't let Elliot ride your bikes! He SUCKS!)
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2002, 03:43 PM   #52
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I wasn't talking to you (Demand more from your crusier)

"I think you got a skewed view of things reading the 18 to 24 year old crowd here that pretty much know everything about every motorcycle ever made, and horsepower is #1. "

This is what I was responding to. Hey if my view point about Harley styled cruisers offends you don't read it. I am sorry it causes you so much pain. However, with the exception of the Kawasaki Mean Streak, Yamaha Road Warrior, Honda Valkyrie which are examples of Cruisers with great price/performance ratios i.e. use modern stuff, I wouldn't buy a crusier.

Cruiser guys should demand great performance i.e. hp, brakes, suspension, tires. Right now you guys are chumps. Cause you are buying new antiques/relics/vintage bikes. Demand more !!!

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:44 PM   #53
KPaulCook
Banned

Good for you! Enjoy.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:51 PM   #54
hojka
Founding Member

Default Re: Additional feature wanted in motorcycle reviews

I agree with the points that a motorcycle should not be purchased on maintenance costs alone. However, when people are buying motorcycles I believe that for the most part they are looking at a certain class of bikes. While some people will be absolutely brand-loyal and only buy Harleys, Ducatis, or Hondas, the rest of us could use maintenance costs as a valuable metric in determining which motorcycle to buy when making comparisons.

For example, if there are two sportbikes I really like and one is 6k and the other is 7k I might think that I should go with the bike I like for 6k. However, if that bike has a considerably higher operating costs, than it might have been cheaper to go with the other motorcycle in the long term.

Also, remember that some people do use their motorcycles for commuting and not just for riding on the weekends. So for them the consideration of maintenance costs are going to be even more important.
hojka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:51 PM   #55
TheFox
Founding Member

Welcome to Chicagoland, where drag racing is the ONLY kind of racing the sportbike kiddies do. Everything out here is straight, and most bikes you see are cruisers and UJM's, and high amounts of squidly kids w/ filp flops et. al. on this weeks rocket of choice.

I crack up everytime of go to my dealership and see the big strips of unused rubber on the edges of the GSXR and R1 tires, while the riders snort in derision at my little M750 while I am in full gear. If they only looked at my well worn tires, scraped up toe sliders and chamfered kickstand they would see I could outride the lot of those damned squids, if the road would just go left or right once in a while...

--Foxy

On an unrelated note, I'm going to trade in my M750 on an Fz-1 (Fazer 1000). What's a fair price for a new 2003 FZ-1?

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:52 PM   #56
TheFox
Founding Member

Totally got sidetracked and forgot my point: Cruisers make sense here. That should be on the end of the first paragraph. Whoops.

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:31 PM   #57
runner00
Founding Member

I think you got yourself a really great bike at an incredible price. Just out of curiosity

at what speed on the highway would you say the bike is humming along nicely.

55 60 65 70 ???
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:02 PM   #58
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: I wasn't talking to you (Demand more from your crusier)

What about big, fat, overstuffed-with-non-performance items, Cadillac-riding, stereo-playing baggers? Some of us like to ride THOSE, regardless of what others think/say!

Chumps? Only if you don't like what they like to ride. If someone wants to buy "new antiques/relics/vintage bikes", let them.

Too bad there isn't only ONE manufacturer that makes ONE bike, then we'd all be happy, right? I don't think so.

Ride what you want, because you want to, for YOUR reasons. I do. It doesn't matter what others think - if you are having fun, or at least a better ride to work than if you took the car, you're much better off.

Brian
Old 06-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #59
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: I wasn't talking to you (Demand more from your crusier)

Actually, let me clarify...

Just because you think they are chumps, doesn't make them so...
Old 06-27-2002, 06:28 PM   #60
maliblu65
Founding Member

Yea I hear that. Get her what she wants, only in 1200 form, drag bars, forward controls and a lowering kit. Then you wont feel like you are missing something by riding a Shetland Pony Metric Cruiser
maliblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote