Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-27-2002, 06:10 AM   #21
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: Additional feature wanted in motorcycle reviews

If you're going to make a motorcycle decision based on TCO you probably belong in a Corolla since it's really about what stirs your soul not the bottom line. BUT I agree such figures might do a little to help dispel urban myths about Euro and domestic bikes being SO much more expensive to maintain than Japanese bikes, when often it is not the case or even the reverse is true.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2002, 06:16 AM   #22
Shari
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800 reader feedback

Oops--being very new to MO, I hit a wrong button (or something) and managed to post my comment out of sync. It applies to the one way up there from jbriley3.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:18 AM   #23
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Sounds like you got it for around a grand which is maybe what it's worth. I bought one brand new for about 2 grand in '81 and it was worth about a grand then. Enjoy the ill-handling little paint shaker for awhile since you didn't overpay for it, but you will soon tire of it and buy something else like I did.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:26 AM   #24
DialedIN
Founding Member

I have a couple of riding buddys, one with a suzuki maurader 800 ( same basic motor as the Volusia) the other with a 883 sportster. I heated things up a bit one day on a lonely texas road to about 120, the suzuki 800 stayed with me till about 115, the sporster was left behind at about 100. The middle weight cruisers are great for someone that wants to get on 2 wheels without deep pockets, for purchase price and maintenece costs.
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:46 AM   #25
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

You know, I'm gettin' real tired of the pretentious attitudes by certain contributors to the feedback sections of the articles. Lately it's gotten f'in' ridiculous with the narrow-minded crap that's been thrown around here. The attitude seems to be that the only bike that is good enough to do articles on is the one that you ride and anything else is crap.

I bought a membership to this site to hear about cruisers, sportsbikes, dirtbikes and every available size and configuration in between.

But apparently SOME people only want to hear and read about 1% of all bike available cuz, according to them at least, those are the only ones worth riding.

Get off your damn high horse and enjoy yourself for just one damn minute. Your freakin' killin' me with this constant *****ing. You're actin' like 90 year old men that need their diaper changed.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:52 AM   #26
Eric
Founding Member

I have to agree -- and I really like Harleys (the FL touring bikes, that is). I like highway pegs, but only when I am on the highway. My wife has been considering getting a bike of her own. She has considered several different genres. The one thing she has found is she does not like forward foot controls -- right now she is leaning toward an old Japanese standard (probably a Nighthawk). Something like the Volusia with a more traditional position would be tempting...

Also to the guy a few up that test road so many bikes. It's interesting you found it hard to test ride a Harley but easy to test ride the others. Here, the exact opposite is the case. The Harley dealership has at least one member of each of the 5 HD families (Sportsters, Dyna, Softail, Touring, and V-Rod) for strictly demo purposes, while my local Japanese dealership won't let you test ride anything (and you have to ask to even sit). In my former place of residence, the only test rides you could get were on European bikes. The point? The dealership matters more than the brand in determining quality of service.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:55 AM   #27
kawazuki
Founding Member

Well, the price is certainly better than the Warrior, but unless the Volusia does wheelies, I'll stick with my Yam. And I do doubt the Volusia could keep up on an extended tour through the hills. The Warrior really does corner just stupid fast. Of course, kneedragging helps.
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:57 AM   #28
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800

I wonder how this bike would compare with the Honda Shadow Spirit 750 performance wise. I actually think the Honda looks better and is cheaper than this Suzuki.
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 07:17 AM   #29
runner00
Founding Member

Having a high horse power crusiser is like having a car with wings that can get off the ground, but what are you going to do when you get there. I think it's almost that ridiculous. This bike makes a lot of sense for what it is and I'll bet they sell a lot of them. Some people like to take it easy when they ride and enjoy the scenery, kind of like stopping to smell the roses.

Nice job Suzuki. I too would like to know the maintenance schedule on all new bikes for the first 20,000 miles.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 07:36 AM   #30
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Re: Why, why, why???

Agreed.

Sometimes, I just get frustrated by the posts I read here and I have to rant. My therapist says it's therapeutic.

I post my rants here instead of slapping one of my employees or kicking my dog.

I am 33 years old and my first motorcycle was a 50cc Honda back in the day. I have been riding ever since. I just love to ride, bordering on an unhealthy obsession.

I have gone over the handlebars on everything from a two stroke motocrosser to a GSXR 750. The GSXR must of hurt, but I had so much adrenaline coursing through my 20 year old veins, I don't remember it actually hurting.

Those days are hopefully over, but I do love the occasional wheelie and getting both wheels off the ground over the crest of a hill.

It really comes down to riding a motorcycle. I can have fun riding an motorcycle powered by Russian tractor technology. I can also have fun riding cross country for 3 weeks straight on the Bavarian express.

I am in the market for another motorcyle at the moment. Cruisers are not my style and though I enjoy riding them, I don't fit into the Harley crowd. The SV650 is overrated junk. Just kidding, I just wanted to get a rise out of the SV crowd.

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote