Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-27-2002, 04:41 AM   #11
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800 reader feedback

Wimpy or not, this type of bike sells. I'm sure the prospective buyer of such type of bike will want to know and will find such comparo interesting (as well as a lot of us who are not in the market for a small cruiser but are curious as hell!).

Not everybody's got a hard on for the R1 or newest CBR, you know?

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2002, 04:45 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

If they would just lose the forward foot controls and put them back where they belong most of these cruisers would be much more livable. You can always add highway pegs for a place to stretch your legs. Locking you into the forward foot position gets too darned uncomfortable too darned fat.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:48 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't be so mean. If it weren't for the people who buy the cruisers and dirt bikes there wouldn't be the R&D to go into the hot iron.

Look at what you get for your bucks on a sportbike. You are getting a lot more for your dollar than the MX and cruiser crowd. I doubt that the manufacturers make enough on the sportbikes alone to justify building them.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:58 AM   #14
mcjunkie
Founding Member

>> So what did I buy? Why, a 1980 Yamaha XS650. of course. It's faster, handles better than the bikes above and for what they wanted for the Duece I could've bought SEVENTEEN of my little 650's.<<

Right on, XS650's rock! fun to ride, and easy to work on. Go to www.micapeak.com and join the 650 list if you want to talk twins.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:48 AM   #15
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Why, why, why???

Why are Americans so obsessed with HP? Seriously. Harley Davidson sells 200k bikes a year none, barring Buells and V-rods, come standard with more than 65 hp. You're welcome to correct me on the 65 hp, just a guess. HP can't be the only reason to buy a motorcycle.

MO... I just sold my Beember and I am in the market for a new bike. At this period in time, I am more interested than ever to read your reviews. Keep them coming.

I won't be buying the Volusia though... not enough horsepower. Ha ha!
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:55 AM   #16
Mooner
Founding Member

Hey, I'm with you guys. This bike may not be something I'd buy, but it's still interesting to read about. This is Motorcycle Online, not Sportbike Online. There has to something for all of our two wheeled friends. Besides, reading about cruisers is WAAYYY better than reading about PT Cruisers.....
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:58 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Why, why, why???

If you really think about it, Americans aren't obsessed with horsepower. You mentioned how many Harley sells and the big four sell cruisers to sportbikes at 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 minimum. I think you got a skewed view of things reading the 18 to 24 year old crowd here that pretty much know everything about every motorcycle ever made, and horsepower is #1. Since I have ridden extensively and owned more bikes than I care to count, I believe one starts to value more than just a number when one experiences more than just throttle twisting.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:06 AM   #18
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Amen!

Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:08 AM   #19
Shari
Founding Member

The comment "An article that will interest no one..." is extremely narrow-minded. Consider that motorcyclists and reasons for riding are just as diverse as life itself. This is an article that I've been waiting for--a test of a midsized cruiser with classic styling! That's what I ride now, except it's a bit old ('81) and I want to upgrade to something new but similar. Wading through all the m/c showrooms in town, I've found such bikes are few and far between, so I'm happy to see Suzuki address a rather undervalued (as we can see by your post) segment of us riders.

JBRiley responded: "Hmmm.... I should not have been so narrow minded."

Shari: Ok, I'll let you slide.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:09 AM   #20
DialedIN
Founding Member

I totaly agree with you on this one... I was taught to ride on dirt bikes. Your legs have alot to do with control, but then again after seeing the resurection of "ape hanger" bars on harleys, I guess cruiser riders like the almost out of control feeling. Are bug guts in your arm pits a turn on to women?
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote