Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-20-2002, 11:08 AM   #171
andy6618
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800 reader feedback

Bought a 2002 Volusia about a month ago. I also have 2000 ZX-12R. I think both bikes are great, though each has its obvious strengths. I used to own a '95 Intruder 800, but since I'm still in the break-in period on the Volusia, I can't really comment on comparing performance. It has plenty of power, however, for my wife and I to ride 2-up, and that's about 400 lbs. combined weight. She won't get on the ZX-12. I bought the Volusia to do what it does best: cruise. I am very satisfied.
andy6618 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2002, 07:15 PM   #172
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Default Re: Additional feature wanted in motorcycle reviews

re: maintainn costs on the volusia?

I own a 2001 model.

I just got it back for the 7500 mile service.

Total cost $195.

And FWIW I live in southern california.

The thing has been as reliable as a hammer.

The day I bought the bike, as the service manager at the dealer was watching his mechanics prep the bike, he said to me "Well, I won't be seeing much of YOU around here anymore!" (jokingly) Very cool dealership and service folks (I am lucky)

Harry

HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #173
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

re: I didn't know it was 800 cc's

My Volusia was parked next to some H-D Road Kings and Electra-Glides this weekend. Suzuki has done a good job of adding extra size to the Volusia.

One of the mechanics at the Suzuki dealer told me one day "lots of Volusia owners like to take off the 'Intruder' badge on the tank - you want us to?" and I go "but why?" and he goes "because then, nobody'll ever REALLY know what you're ridin'!"

Old 09-09-2002, 07:26 PM   #174
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers are the SUVs of the motorcycle world

I disagree with you - adventure touring bikes (Suzuki v-strom, Aprillia Capo du Nord, etc) are the SUVs of the motorcycle world.

Remember the old Honda 350 scrambler? Adventure touring bikes are basically re-hashed scramblers. I REALLY feel like an old man saying that though, because it means that most of us who were around when the scramblers were popular are either six feet under or riding around in a wheelchair somewhere (j/k)

Old 09-09-2002, 07:29 PM   #175
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey KPaul, a few thoughts.

i'm with you - I want to buy a Bajaj scooter for my second bike. I think they're cool.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:31 PM   #176
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

you're probably correct in your assumptions because I'm 6'8" tall and as I rode away from the dealer the day I bought the bike I loved the riding position. Except for one thing - the seat's a bit low for me.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:52 PM   #177
TriumphSuzukiHD
Registered Member

Default Re: To KPaulCook

Actually I agree with you up to a point, misunderstanding accepted, I guess I am a chump.

Bikes lose a lot when comparing with a car, but if I got a bike then get the best you can afford - that makes sense to me.

Thing is, what is "best"? I am 52yrs, but back when 20yrs the faster the better. But anything that accelerates better than 9 seconds for 0-60 is fast by my book and nowadays basic comfort is a problem; fact of life.

But I got a car as well as my bike; a Suzuki 1400, its a cruiser and its fast when I need it. If I had enough money I would also get a sportbike, but not for long journeys. Maybe also a Honda glide; but I'll save that until I am 70 yrs..

The best answer would be for you to try a cruiser, and ride it as a cruiser, then you wouldn't need facts to understand it better. To each his own.

Anyway, a good feedback, set me thinking, keep it up

Jim

TriumphSuzukiHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:11 PM   #178
TriumphSuzukiHD
Registered Member

Default Re: I made my point and time to oust KPaulCook

I dont agree with KPaulCook, but I welcome the viewpoint and the chance to answer or to look through the feedback.

I looked at his replies and they seem reasonable enough. Not everyone has perfect chatroom manners, or command of the language; its no big deal

In my humble opinion, you and the others are overreacting. Free speech is free speech, relax. Let the nonconformist be; we have real enemies in SUV land and the Camry seas, this guy is not one of them?

ride safe

Old 09-10-2002, 03:26 PM   #179
TriumphSuzukiHD
Registered Member

Default Re: I made my point and time to oust KPaulCook

I dont agree with KPaulCook, but I welcome the viewpoint and the chance to answer or to look through the feedback.

I looked at his replies and they seem reasonable enough. Not everyone has perfect chatroom manners, or command of the language; its no big deal

In my humble opinion, you and the others are overreacting. Free speech is free speech, relax. Let the nonconformist be; we have real enemies in SUV land and the Camry seas, this guy is not one of them?

ride safe