Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-02-2002, 02:21 PM   #161
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: KPaulCook post June 29th

Thanks for your opinion.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2002, 04:19 AM   #162
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800 reader feedback

It felt too large for me. I was stretched out too far and the wideness of the chassis had my legs spread apart too far.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:31 AM   #163
atlhawk
Founding Member

Have you ever ridden the Honda ACE 750?
atlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:38 PM   #164
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Cruisers are the SUVs of the motorcycle world

Great point! Opens the motorcycle world to women.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:40 PM   #165
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Again

Point taken
Old 07-05-2002, 04:45 PM   #166
ltcmdr
Founding Member

Yeah, Too bad the Volusia is 1/2" longer and wider than a H/D Fatboy, and handles better. Oh, geez, at a third of the price also. Sure, go for a 1200 sportster, harley loves your money, and their mechanics too.
ltcmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 06:50 PM   #167
wilmilan
Founding Member

I know I'll get flamed for this, but what the heck...

The review of the Volusia 800 exactly mirrors my recent experience with an Intruder 800 (near twins under the skin). Consider this a bit of a "confessions of an old-time sportbike rider new to cruisers."

After a few years away I recently returned to riding, and for an everyday bike figured a cruiser would be the way to go. To make a long story short, after riding a V-Star (stable & comfy but not too exciting) and the big Vulcan (handled like a whale), and a couple of Harleys (clunky engine and buzzy as an old thumper -- can't anyone at H-D design a _modern_ engine?), on a lark the dealer pointed me to an Intruder 800, which I wasn't even considering.

I learned the same thing MO did with the Volusia 800: I was flat-out _amazed_ at how much punch that 800cc Intruder had -- it was _easily_ the fastest bike I'd ridden that day. I stepped off that bike thinking I must have heard wrong -- that could not be an 800cc bike, it must be the 1400cc Intruder. But no, 800cc it was, yet this bike would have easily walked away from any of the others bikes above, and done so very smoothly, without the ridiculous vibration of the H-D (the Sportster 1200 in particular -- I thought I'd lose my fillings riding that rattlebox).

The other thing that impressed me was the handling. The Intruder (even more so than the Volusia) for a cruiser is is quite a narrow-tucked bike and can really lean into a turn. After a few corners I was having so much fun with it that when I returned to the dealership my wife said she immediately knew that was the bike I was buying because I had such a huge grin on my face. Of the other bikes I shopped I liked the Vulcan the next best, but it was such a disappointment in handling and agility (even mild turns drag the boards -- how does this thing get down a mountain?) that had I not found the Intruder I would have just kept shopping.

What all this taught me is the same thing the Volusia 800 review seemed to pointing out: That the little secret of many big-inch cruiser bikes (H-Ds in particular, at least in my recent experience) is that despite all the rumbling sounds and fat-chrome heft, they are really rather wimpy performers, and a lot of good 750cc to 1-liter mid-cruisers with better engines and less pork will easily blow them away. So if what you want is power and performance (instead of loud noise and poseur looks), perhaps the place to look for them is in the leaner, meaner Intruders, Volusias, and the like, not the lumbering big-bore pork wagons.

OK, big-bore and H-D fans, you can now go ahead and flame away. But before you do, check the performance figures of those big-inch cruisers against the V45 Magna, the aforementioned 800cc Suzukis, etc., and tell me what I've just stated is not true. (MO thoughtfully posts performance details in their reviews -- check them out.) There are exceptions, I'm sure -- the V-Rod appears to be a genuine performer, and I'm sure there are others. But in cruisers it seems that bigger is often _not_ faster, and apparently many buyers don't realize that the bigger engine is actually getting them a _slower_ bike overall.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:35 AM   #168
atlhawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Additional feature wanted in motorcycle reviews

Very true. The Volusia runs about $500 more than the Honda ACE 750, but it has a shaft drive versus the Honda chain. You'll probably save more than $500 on not having to replace links or the hassle of lubing the chain
atlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 07:12 PM   #169
Kris
Founding Member

This would make a great upgrade for someone riding a little cruiser. (Say a savage 650) Bigger and faster, yet not as intimidating as the "Big Boys."
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 03:45 PM   #170
Rekord
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800

Thank you very much for posting this info !
Rekord is offline   Reply With Quote