Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-01-2002, 05:20 AM   #151
jawilson
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia 800 reader feedback

If I remember correctly, the current Suzuki 800cc V-twin is really the same basic engine that I have in my 1986 Intruder 700 (bought new in '87). If this is so, and If my Intruder is representative of this engine family, then maintenance on the bike is the least of your troubles. My intruder has been as reliable as an anvil. It shifts better than my 98 VTR 1000. I'll be honest and admit to being somewhat indifferent about following any kind of maintenace schedule. The only weaknesses that I have found have to do with the carbs and the sidestand switch. The carbs do not like to be sitting around without being used. They will gum up even after only about four weeks of non-riding. The other cronic problem has been the sidestand switch which has to be cleaned and lubed quite often. Any maintence issues that I have had with the bike were self-inflicted because of neglect. The only other thing is that I did have to have a leak in the radiator fixed last year. The bike has always been garaged and the chrome looks like it came from the factory just the other day. Whenever I do take it in for maintenance, the mechanics always double check that it really is a '86 because it has held up so well. Actually, the biggest maintenace headache I have is finding a competent mechanic. I don't ride the bike that much as I really prefer to ride sportier bikes, but I'll probably keep the bike a long time, after all I had the bike before I got married. I plan on keeping my wife for a while, yet, so why not keep the bike also.
jawilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2002, 08:27 AM   #152
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah yeah yeah. But they've cut out one of MO's most popular regular items... the Daytona and GP circuit Babes Revue!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:10 AM   #153
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaulCook post June 29th

I I feel the need to clear something up about my post June 29th.

I did not call for a ban on KPaulCook. I called for a poll on the subject. Here is the relevant text from my post:

"Hey MO Staffers, can we have a poll to decide if KPaulCook should be banned?"

I still believe the (probably outdated) idea that sites like this are communities. If this person's posts are acceptable to the members of this community, fine. If not, he should be warned that he has not met community standards and given a chance to improve his behavior. While not practical here on a non-commercial list he would probably be put on moderation. If he still fails to meet standards he should be removed.

JMHO,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:33 PM   #154
KPaulCook
Banned

Censorship. hmm Wrap in a poll etc. You are still talking about censorship. Go back and compare what I was called vs what I said. . The problem with censorship ("no free speech") is who decides. This is why we have a first ammendment and second ammendment. It is to protect the minority opinion from the mob opinion. You see if we took your model and applied it to other parts of life well our lives would really suck. I guess when you serve your country and spend some time oversees you get to appreciate things like free speach and equal proctection under the law. I know you Cruiser types are into the group thing and thats cool but just because someone disagrees with you is no reason to conive a way to make them shut up.

Once I again I challenge you to look through the posts and see who really was the flamer vs who was the flamee. Be fair.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 07:40 AM   #155
Eric
Founding Member

KPaul, the First Amendment does not apply to private forums. In other words, your business, your clubs, your forums, can actually restrict the speech of employees, members, etc. The First Amendment only means that the freedom of the press cannot be restricted, nor can the GOVERNMENT restrict your freedom of speech. The Owners of this site can restrict whoever they like.

That being said, I don't think you should be banned. You are a broken record, granted, but I can choose not to read your posts.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 08:29 AM   #156
intruderman
Founding Member

As someone who has ridden the Volusia, the Marauder, and the Intruder 800, I can say that the intruder 800 feels way faster than the other two.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 08:32 AM   #157
intruderman
Founding Member

Personally, I don't like the Volusia, mostly because it doesn't fit me very well (I'm 5'7") and because they neutered the Intruder 800 engine, and because it doesn't handle nearly as well as the Intruder 800. And yes, I have ridden both bikes.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 08:42 AM   #158
Mikey
Registered Member

Default Re: Additional feature wanted in motorcycle reviews

I'll second that suggestion. Just because I like to be smart with my money, doesn't mean I belong in a Corolla as one person suggested. For instance, if I have about $6000 to spend on a new bike should I get a Duc 620, a Kaw ZR-7, a Suzi 600s, or a Honda Nighthawk? All are good bikes and have slightly different strong points. But will one of them cost a bundle to operate doing 10k miles year? I have rumors and conjecture to go on but no hard facts.

Somethings to include might be the cost of an oil filter, air filter, footpeg (rider and passenger), levers, turn signals, and book hours of labor to do a vavle adjustment. For all the above, get the info from the Mfg as the dealers vary their prices with the shifting of the wind. This shouldn't add but 30 minutes, at the most, to the prep time for a review.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 10:50 AM   #159
atlhawk
Founding Member

Had a question for you on the fit, did it seem to large or small for you?
atlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:05 PM   #160
12er
Founding Member

Ive been very upset about that fact!! No bike week babes at all this year or any babe photo's. Im beginning to think the babe references in the reviews are just fronts.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote