Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1280-honda-st1300-reader-feedback.html)

sarnali 06-21-2002 09:37 PM

Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

I agree on the honda issue, I really liked my '97 vfr, till the voltage regulator and almost every bulb went out @25k miles, just like my '84 V65 sabre's did a few years ago, I realize thinks go wrong but if honda's are supposed to be the creem ' o ' the crop why can't they make a chargeing system that works? ( '84 to '87 goldwing anyone?), It pissed me off so much I traded it for a suzuki, more comfort, more power and almost as good handling, And the link brakes and overly technical but not much improved new versions will probably keep me off honda's for awhile, too, In fact the 919 is about the only current honda I'd want.

sarnali 06-21-2002 09:56 PM

Re: Unsuitable touring mounts.

nice fantasy alright, but Palermo? I was all over Italy and the Med in general in the late '70's thanks to the Nav, and I'd pick Bari, or Brindisi, or Torranto to hang out at myself, Me and some Buds pissed allover the terminus of the appian way in Bari, talk about barbarians at the gate, eh? but I digress, a 900ss, a plate full of muscles sauted in garlic butter, and some fizzy plonk with a signorina to share it with would be heaven on earth!

sarnali 06-21-2002 10:15 PM

Re: 1150 RT RULES ! and way the Uncle Sam told Harley how to build engines during WWI

Hey kpaul, a guy in my neigbhorhood is a Renton city cop who rides a Bmw, and he said they've had alot of trouble with the clutches on police beemers, the civilian ones seem to hold up, but in police service they cook them on a pretty regular basis, interesting,no? the harley your refering to is an XA I believe, they made them for the army in north africa, the opposed cylinders provided better cooling in the desert , I think they were 45 ci flat heads. As an aside, by continously bashing harley's, you display an inferiority complex towards them and a deep seated desire to be a fat greasey grayhaired old bastard that rides one. You might want to watch that.

painter_1 06-21-2002 11:29 PM

I've had a 1985 goldwing 1200 a 1993 VFR750 and a 98 cbr900. Right now I have a 2000 R1, and a 2000 ZX9, The ZX9 is by far the best all arround motorcycle I've owned or ridden. I think it's one of the most overlooked bike's out there. It will do 600 mile day's or haul ass up the canyon's.

jodiesel 06-22-2002 03:53 AM

Re: Excellent, Excellent

What's the difference in the Duc's? Also, why doesn't Aprilia have an AMA entry?

DialedIN 06-22-2002 05:46 AM

I have over 60,000 miles on my 94 Concours. Yes I am drooling over the FJR. The dealer here has a blue 2001 Concours holdover for $6,799 . I guess someone has to pull me out of my practicality, before I would pay 4 to 5 grand more for a sports tour that has no way of adjusting the handle bars, and foot pegs.

Sometimes I hate being practical....

ccherry 06-22-2002 06:18 AM

Of course you can sport tour on anything. In 1967, I rode across the country on a Yamaha YDS3 250cc Big Bear Scrambler, including an 800 mile day from Topeka to Denver.

Today I think I'd rather do the ride on any of the bikes mentioned here, but my first choice would be either a ZZR-1200 or a ZRX1200. I'd be willing to give up my shaft drive for that incredible engine.

ccherry 06-22-2002 06:31 AM

I felt that the ZZR was pretty close to the VFR, but to each his own. I understand why the BMW GS always comes up in discussions like this, it's a great all-around bike. I'm sure the V-Strom will start being included, too. But I never understand why we always overlook the other standards: Bandit, ZRX, Monster, FZ1, 919. These are also great all purpose bikes that will have no trouble taking you across the country, keeping up with the sportbikes in the canyons, and commuting around town.

At only 1/2 to 2/3 the price of these dedicated sport touring rigs, these are great buys. 100 pounds lighter, too.

ccherry 06-22-2002 06:37 AM

I rode the RT along with most of the Boxers in the factory demo rides at Sears Point. Didn't really like any of them. To my tastes, they were underpowered and vibrated too much. Then I rode the K1200RS. I LIKE that bike!

vfrpinckney 06-22-2002 09:30 AM

Re: Excellent, Excellent

The Duc *did* have a top-notch rider on it in 2000. Remember, Ducati captured the first two poles of the 2000 season. Then Foggy got hurt. The rest is history...