Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2002, 06:14 PM   #71
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

~drum roll please........~

The verdict is: Your friend is....WRONG!!!!

I'm a small to midsize dealer, and my store alone is getting between 6-8 ST1300s. I know the larger dealer in our area is getting at least 10...
Van is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2002, 06:20 PM   #72
Van
Founding Member

Disregard ^^^^^

He just lost his Viagara connection and he's yet to get a handle on his Tourettes situation, and in a fit of downright silliness he went out and bought a bug eyed Triumph....

Old 06-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #73
Van
Founding Member

And, I almost did!!

That is, until I took a couple of thorough test rides on the R1150RT. I used to own an 1100 Boxer and it seemed like the 1150RT would have a fix for everything that sucked on my 1100.

The six speed tranny has now fixed the horror that was the old one's five speed. Check.

The Motronic surging has been minimized enough now that while it still exists (which is still inexcuseable on such an expensive bike from a company that prides itself on engineering), it's not enough of a bother to really bug me any more. Check.

The seat (at least the "Comfort Seat" option) was great. Check.

The stereo is utterly useless at speed, and because they make you take the antenna and speakers and they foul up the ONE storage container with the mounting bracket they pretty much blackmail you into getting the stereo. Not a deal killer, but not a check either.

Then there's........the motor. That thing is better than the old 1100, but still a total joke at any price for a two up touring bike, much less one that costs $16K!!! It's decent enough down low, and up to 75-80 mph. Torquey enough to do the job, and be reasonably fun while doing it.

Problem is, high tech sport tourers regularly spend their time above 75-80 mph, and that thing HATES any speed over 80 mph!! In sixth gear at 85 mph it's pretty buzzy and it has all the pulling power of a Honda Helix, and if you cog down to fifth (or even fourth!!) to get ANY decent (just barely) acceleration you're met with the type of engine vibration that'd make a Panhead owner giggle.

Not good. That ended my R1150RT quest, right then and there, once I imagined in my mind's eye the ST's silky and powerful V4 thrust and the Yam's mighty boom.

Sorry BMW, pretty bike and all, and great luggage and touring amenities, but until you give us a modern, powerful and competitive motor that also doesn't require valve adjustments EVERY SIX THOUSAND MILES you'll pretty much only be selling R1150RTs to BMW-philes and California's Highway Patrol.

What they NEED to do with the RT is stick the K12RS motor in that bike. Then, they'd at least have somewhat of a fighting chance against the ST1300/Goldwing deal with the K1200RT/K1200LT combo...

Check please...

Old 06-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #74
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Heck, yes! Both times you said it!

Right now, the DL1000 is tops on my list, but the FJR is worth a good long look, too.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 07:12 PM   #75
wwalkersd
Founding Member

I sat on a ZZR and found the riding position too sportbikeish for me. I have a pair of herniated disks, and I'm looking for a more comfortable replacement for my ST4. Granted, any of these bikes is way heavier than the ST4 and probably won't outhandle it, but sitting upright means a lot to me . I've seen the ST4 described as "long-haul comfortable", too, but even with bar risers on mine, if I'm not in the twisties moving around, I'm in pain.

Anyway, because of the difference in its seating position, I don't think the ZZR is a direct competitor for the FJR for a lot of us old farts.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:01 PM   #76
superbikefan
Founding Member

You know, that's a great point. I'd MUCH rather have adjustable hand and foot controls than linked brakes or VTEC engine. This is needed real world practicality- I'm tired of Helibars, Genmar risers, dealing with hose lengths. The other stuff is Honda's habit of adding technology just because they can- all it adds is complication and expense. ENOUGH!
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:14 PM   #77
Mooner
Founding Member

I have to agree with you on that one. To add to it, couldn't one "sport tour" with a modified R1 or even RC51? Sure, its no couch on wheels, but we're talking SPORT tour right? If one is young enough, in good enough shape, and possibly lacking just a small amount of common sense when it comes to stuff like this, I think that this is perfectly feasible. Anybody else care to comment?
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:14 PM   #78
TheFox
Founding Member

What did you pay for your FZ-1? They list at like 8500 right? Someone told me a few bikes to consider in an earlier posting/news story, and I made the decision to go to the FZ-1, a 2003 model, but I have no clue as to what a fair price is.

Funny I never considered it before he told me to, but when I was getting my bike serviced, I sat on one (god forbid anyone give out test rides these days) and was very comfortable; I just loved the size of it and the proportions. The amount of power it has worries me a touch though.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:18 PM   #79
TheFox
Founding Member

No kidding about the stealth thing...Go look at pics of the Silver Wing (the big Honda scooter) and compare to the grey Pan-Euro...they look very very similar.

--The Fox

Old 06-21-2002, 09:28 PM   #80
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Unsuitable touring mounts.

Hugo Wilson, Senior Editior for Bike magazine (in Great Britain) once went from England to Greece with a passenger on a 1976 Morini sportbike...only 350cc's of antique Italian cycle. Talk about insane.

He said the best remark was when he got there the first words someone said to him were, "You came from England? On that?".

This guy is no spring chicken either...I want to say he is upwards of 47 years. He says the ideal tourer for him is a Ducati 900ss. You can take anything anywhere, he says, so take something you can have fun with when you get there. Imagine sitting in a cafe in Palermo with your 900ss parked up outside...nice fantasy, huh?

--Foxy