Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2002, 04:56 PM   #61
jodiesel
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent, Excellent

I hear what you're saying....BUT over yonder, what's his name on the RC can't very often beat Bayliss on the Duc. Yet over here, the Duc's can't even contend with the RC's. Machine difference??? I think not.

jodiesel@earthlink.net
jodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2002, 05:26 PM   #62
rmenk
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

I sense MO thinks there is hot-breathed anticipation over this bike and the Yammie FJR. If you're in the market for this type of bike, run (don't walk) to your nearest BMW dealer and say R1150RT. Ride off in total comfort on the finest piece of German engineering you'll ever see. Carve up the twisties then kick back on the superslab and feel the confidence this machine inspires. And your bike will just get better over the years. Stop looking and hoping for something perfect. Start riding the R1150RT. Now!
rmenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:44 PM   #63
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Excellent, Excellent

Like I said Machine + Rider not just Rider

Edwards on the RC51 is good but not quite as good as Bayliss on the Duc. Over here the Duc has never had top notch rider in his prime on board. Russell was great but past prime and Picote is pretty good but not in the same league as Hayden, also the Duc they are riding isn't the same Factory backed Duc as in WSB.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:44 PM   #64
Van
Founding Member

John, I'm about as in the bike biz as one can be, considering my hobby is bikes, I don't own a car in favor of living on my bike (including a daily 106 mile commute) and I'm a multi line bike dealer.

Call any multi line dealer that includes Honda as one of their lines, then ask for the service manager. Without indicating any preference ask the service manager which brand has the least warranty claims, the least recalls and in general has the best build quality across the board.

Ask him which brand will prove to be the most durable and trouble free.

I can almost guarantee you that without exception that manager wil answer, "Honda", whether you're talking sport bikes, cruisers, tourers, dirt bikes, ATVs, generators, lawn mowers or outboard motors.

As for CBRs vs GSX-Rs, I sell 'em both and I currently prefer the GSX-Rs. Nonetheless, check your average "high mileage" CBR vs your average "high mileage" GSX-R and the difference is easily apparent. Go into the motor, go into the tranny, and it's a no brainer...
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:46 PM   #65
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Montana man

Montana doesn't have speed limits on some of their roads.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:53 PM   #66
Van
Founding Member

Gotta love the irony of a Harley Honk referring to a bike designed to be ridden for real instead of merely being posed on, derisively referring to said bike with "...why don't we just park it and polish it!"...
Old 06-21-2002, 05:58 PM   #67
Van
Founding Member

I also had an ST1100 and...what's your point?

ABS is no biggie to you? Fine. It is to others.

The electric windshield comes with the ABS, and it's a better system than what's on the Yamaha, which doesn't even offer ABS as an option.

Parts availability? Honda's betters the other three Japanese makers' parts availability by a good distance. If you don't believe so, call your nearest multi line dealer parts manager and ask him yourself.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:05 PM   #68
KPaulCook
Banned

Default 1150 RT RULES ! and way the Uncle Sam told Harley how to build engines during WWII

Agree, I just met someone with one and he took me for a ride on the back. Great bike and WA state troopers, CHP and lots of police departments are trading in their Harleys and Kawasakis for them. The bike is constructed like a fine watch. Harley riiders will note the BMW superior engine geometry to the 45 degree twin. The boxer engine configuration keeps the cylinders much cooler important in an air/oil cooled machine. Harley actually built some bikes during WWII like this at the request of the US govenment. Look it up if you don't beleive me.

BMW is the bike I'll buy when I get older..

I always feel better after I bash Harley, i.e. a bash a day keeps the oil leak away
Old 06-21-2002, 06:06 PM   #69
Van
Founding Member

A Valk will destroy any true cruiser in the twisties, but a new Wing will eat a Valk in the twisties. More power and at least equal ground clearance, mated to a far superior aluminum perimeter frame/chassis/wheels combo.

The ST will make mincemeat of either, however, assuming equal riders. More hp than either, more rpms with which to play, much less weight and its chassis is light years ahead of the Valk's and there can be no doubt it'll be a lot more nimble than the Wing.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:10 PM   #70
Van
Founding Member

Here in California I do between 80 and 100mph every day on my 106 mile daily motorcycle commute, and I haven't gotten a ticket in three years.

And that's on sport bikes, which are attention grabbers. On a stealth grey ST1300 I bet I'd have to do a 1/4 mile long 90 mph rolling stoppie to draw any attention...